Newbie Questions Needed! :)

Going to un-pin this, Unfortunately I've not had the time to carry out with the original intention of this thread (a 'newbie guide' of sorts) and I currently feel that with the new Mac users coming to the community, including older users who have started to actively use OS X/Apple hardware, that it would be more beneficial and more search 'friendly' to start new threads for questions rather than posing them in this one.

The guide may still be created one day, just not at the moment, as I'm unfortunately too busy to concentrate on a single project, this thread's place shall be taken by anther sticky which I intend to create by the end of today.

Feel free to continue comment in this thread, however new questions should be put into their own threads :)

Is there a hack somewhere to increase the iBooks display resoultion past 1024?
I did hear about this before, just wondered if someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

You can't, it would implode, ending the universe. Unless you mean for external displays? in which case you'd need to use the dual-screen-y hack.

SPeedY_B said:
You can't, it would implode, ending the universe. Unless you mean for external displays? in which case you'd need to use the dual-screen-y hack.

No, I mean the iBook display.
I'm almost sure I'd heard something like I described existed.
Bah, oh well.

If you could increase the resolution (No doubt possible via hacking conf files, or using a "custom res" type app) then you'd simply have a larger desktop size, but only 1024x768 pixels of it displayed. It's a hardware limitation, not a software one unfortunately.

If you had money to burn and time to waste, you could rip out the iBook LCD and replace it with a stupidly high res, and high expense LCD panel... but that would be daft :p

Well I have a mac mini tried to google these questions came up nothing also quickly skimmed through this thread couldn't find anything :(. Got me a mac mini so using PC USB keyboard/mouse. How do I slow/smooth the scroll speed on my mouse? It's so not as smooth as my laptop when it's pluged into that.

Also can I move the @ sign back to the @ key rather than 2, I have set everything to UK keyboard/language etc but I'm so used to PC @ key. How do I change it. And also were is the number hash key???? I need it for IRC! You know the thing before the chan name, e.g. /join [here]chan

Cheers, also wats a good FTP client that free and good. Sorry if asked before.

Transmit is a great FTP client. Not sure if it's free permanently, though.
http://www.panic.com
Also, VersionTracker is the best place to find software.

As for the scrolling speed on the mouse, I believe you'll need to install software from the manufacturer. For instance, I have a Logitech mouse and installed software that is added to System Preferences. There I can change settings such as the scroll wheel and mouse button functions.

muzikool said:
Transmit is a great FTP client. Not sure if it's free permanently, though.
http://www.panic.com
Also, VersionTracker is the best place to find software.

As for the scrolling speed on the mouse, I believe you'll need to install software from the manufacturer. For instance, I have a Logitech mouse and installed software that is added to System Preferences. There I can change settings such as the scroll wheel and mouse button functions.
Transmit is nice .. but it's a 30 day trial you get from Panic. As for the mouse issue I use "MouseZoom" as my mouse seemed super .. sluggish/sticky? I don't know how best to describe it. :p

nix said:
hash key is Shift+Apple+3 i believe... cant remember entirely..
Your looking for " # " right? It's just shift+3 key .. just like Windows. :p

Thank you for the Logitech Idea. Fixed my scrolling troubles a treat :D and also all me logitech keyboard buttons are configured now and the volume weel works better :D.

Thanks for the Version tracker site and now I need to get a sheet of paper to write down that command, gona take me a while to remember these shortcuts, I can remember PC ones but not apple, all part of the learning process I guess.

You know a site with lots of comman apple shortcuts? I know the basics like apple key+c or v etc.

Edit, it's just Appl+3 :D also how do you uninstall appz just delete the folder? And how to I edit the VHOST in X-CHAT?

Last edited:
desie said:
also how do you uninstall appz just delete the folder?
Yeah most you just drag app/app folder to trash and empty it. The ones that don't work this way, Office + others, will come with an unistall. :)

# is shift + 3. Not Apple + 3, Apple + 3 is the third bookmark taht gets opened.

X-Istence said:
# is shift + 3. Not Apple + 3, Apple + 3 is the third bookmark taht gets opened.
Only in Safari right? I tried it w/out Safari open and nothing. :)

Ah man thanks for that link, *prints it of*. Anyone know a good SSH program like putty or can you do it through terminal? Or is there better software like putty? I really need an FREE FTP program if any of you know them, I don't like trials :p.

You didn't find anything good on VersionTracker?

Also, most shortcuts are also listed in Help. Just do a search for "keyboard shorcuts."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back