Newbie Questions Needed! :)

Again maybe.

Another thing I've been meaning to ask, these folders programs generate in 'Documents', eg. 'Microsoft User Data' and whatnot, any way to stop them being made in Documents. Office isnt the only one, Toast, and some other programs, do it too.

Not to my knowledge, but I can honestly say that I've never looked into it, my Documents folder has so much crap in it that I never really notice any new folders created in there :D

Take a look on http://macosxhints.com/ to see if there's anything on there.

Cheers Dave, i'll take a look and post if I find anything.

Curious also, as to if I can arrange songs in iTunes by the filename. I've the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy sessions, that go from 001.mp3 to 123.mp3, and importing them brings them in in a random order. Any help would be great, I wanna stick em in a playlist so I can listen to them in order.

Cheers!

I'm guessing that they have no ID3 tags at all ?

I think, but can't be certain, if you were to add an album tag to each file (select all, command+i, add the album tag) then have your playlist/library arranged by album (the default setting) it may put them in order.

They do have IDE tags - but arranging by album or anything, for that matter, still doesnt put them in the right order.

Andy said:
They do have IDE tags - but arranging by album or anything, for that matter, still doesnt put them in the right order.
Since songs have 3 places have you tried putting "0"s infront of numbers in IDE tags?

SPeedY_B said:
I'm guessing that they have no ID3 tags at all ?

I think, but can't be certain, if you were to add an album tag to each file (select all, command+i, add the album tag) then have your playlist/library arranged by album (the default setting) it may put them in order.

Also add a track number!! :lick:

Hit the track you want, then Apple + I --> Info --> Enter an Album name --> enter a track number.

:)

I eventually gave up and just played them through VLC, numbering them in iTunes as I went along. I could have swore there was a time when sorting by file name was available.

Next question, if I buy a new monitor, will I be limited to the 1024x876 my iBooks display can manage, or will the capabilities of the new display take over? (ie. the Apple 20" Cinema display is capable of 1680 x 1050)

heheh "newbie" question I just cant resist:

----
How the fcuk do I tright click with only one button??
----

Remembering back to the macs I had to work on a few years back :p

LordOfLA said:

----
----

Ctrl and click.

LordOfLA said:

----
----

Or use a 2-button mouse. :p

Andy said:
I eventually gave up and just played them through VLC, numbering them in iTunes as I went along. I could have swore there was a time when sorting by file name was available.

Next question, if I buy a new monitor, will I be limited to the 1024x876 my iBooks display can manage, or will the capabilities of the new display take over? (ie. the Apple 20" Cinema display is capable of 1680 x 1050)

Your limited, but there are hacks out there that seperate the two, and you can either have a dual desktop, or a native screen at a higher resolution, Speedy had a link to this a while ago.

X-Istence said:
Your limited, but there are hacks out there that seperate the two, and you can either have a dual desktop, or a native screen at a higher resolution, Speedy had a link to this a while ago.

If this link is found, I'd sure like to hear about it.

Ok quick question about the power saving settings. If you set it to put your computer to "sleep" and HD to sleep this would kill your internet connection right?

Cooorect-o!

The Mini consumes **** all power though, so to be honest, leaving it on (display off) shouldn't be too much of an issue. My PowerMac runs 24/7 as I need (read: want) to keep my net connection (read: irc and torrents) active. However I sleep the iBook when it's not in use :)

Ok thanks SPeedY_B. I had noticed after leaving the computer that my connections would be dead upon it coming back from sleeping. :) I have it set for just the monitor now. :)

Oh and yeah the mini takes like no power compared to some rigs. The external power supply brick thingy says "Mac mini 85W Power Adapter" on it. :p

Power consumption is certainly an area which PPC based machines shine in:
According to Editor Frank Voelkel, the Mac mini only draws 20 watts of power and 28 watts during DVD playback. In contrast, Intel-based systems draw up to 160 watts under comparable conditions, eating up almost six times the power of the Mac mini.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back