Newbie Questions Needed! :)

Heres another one.

Apple, obviously, dont sell alot of their older hardware. I'm looking out for one of the displays, post-cinema-screen, like the one SPeedY_B has. Are there still retailers that have supplies, or is eBay my best bet?
 
Ehm, I do have a cinema display... it's the older design, but still a cinema.

You can still find them around, but they're mostly with inept stores who don't realise a revision has been released, and therefore still want to charge the olden day prices for them (ie: You're better off buying a new alu-Display). So yeah, eBay would be your best bet.

May eBay mine soon, quite fancy one of those new displays. Mmmmmmmmmm.
 
Thanks. I might be alright for a while, so if you decide to flog yours, keep me in mind.

Another thing I've been meaning to ask, these folders programs generate in 'Documents', eg. 'Microsoft User Data' and whatnot, any way to stop them being made in Documents. Office isnt the only one, Toast, and some other programs, do it too.

Quite annoying.
 
Anybody know what would be faster, to order a Mac mini from apple.com or from apple store?
 
Apple.com orders (in the UK anyway) always seem to end up coming from Shanghai, Taiwan or other "far easterly" places. These usually take about 7 or so business days to be delivered. If you do order it online you might want to use http://apecode.com/appletrack/ to track it before it actually gets to TNT as you cant track it through the apple system until its at TNT. Oddly enough, if you call up apple to ask why you cant track it they will be able to tell you what is going on as they also use the apecode website :p
 
Geffy said:
Apple.com orders (in the UK anyway) always seem to end up coming from Shanghai, Taiwan or other "far easterly" places.
Where do Apple store orders come from? Also living in US I would hope my order would ship from this side of the pond or else I'd be getting a killer deal w/ free shipping. :p So if I go into an Apple store do they just configure a mini to my order or are they ordering them?
 
Apple has moved most of it's manufacturing to the far east. They still have some limited capability in the USA.
 
So if ordered from an Apple store do they just put them together in the back room, or do they just order it and you still have to wait for it to come in, just adding another step because you have to go get it instead of having it delievered to your house?

Also has anyone tried applying for the "Apple Credit Account"? If they would approve me I could order my Mac mini sooner as I wouldn't have to wait for my tax return. :classic: If they deny me for whatever reason does that hurt my credit?

Sorry for so many questions. :p
 
Andy said:
Another thing I've been meaning to ask, these folders programs generate in 'Documents', eg. 'Microsoft User Data' and whatnot, any way to stop them being made in Documents. Office isnt the only one, Toast, and some other programs, do it too.

:p
 
Xie said:
So if ordered from an Apple store do they just put them together in the back room, or do they just order it and you still have to wait for it to come in, just adding another step because you have to go get it instead of having it delievered to your house?

Also has anyone tried applying for the "Apple Credit Account"? If they would approve me I could order my Mac mini sooner as I wouldn't have to wait for my tax return. :classic: If they deny me for whatever reason does that hurt my credit?

Sorry for so many questions. :p

Won't hurt your credit. They accepted the au pair we had a few years ago, and her credit was not to good, they charged her a high interest rate though. I suggest you wait, but IANAL, and IANAB.

IANAL = I am not a lawyer
IANAB = I am not a banker
 
X-Istence said:
Won't hurt your credit. They accepted the au pair we had a few years ago, and her credit was not to good, they charged her a high interest rate though. I suggest you wait, but IANAL, and IANAB.

IANAL = I am not a lawyer
IANAB = I am not a banker
To late I already applied (and was aproved in less then 20sec) .. thats how I already ordered my mini. ;)
 
I just bopped on over to the Apple site to check out "Tiger" and it looks like some really sweet features are coming. My question is when you go to upgrade (I'm guessing new people buying Mac mini's aren't going to be given a free upgrade) do you pay full price or does Apple have an upgrade price? Also is "Tiger" expected to retail for the about the same price as "Panther" [$129 USD]?
 
Tiger will cost the same amount as Tiger, and if you purchased the Mini within 14 days of Panther coming out you get a free upgrade (Got this from the guy at the Apple store).
 
X-Istence said:
Tiger will cost the same amount as Tiger, and if you purchased the Mini within 14 days of Panther coming out you get a free upgrade (Got this from the guy at the Apple store).

Thats good to know .... :lick:
 
fantastic, some people are just born useful arent they
 
X-Istence said:
Tiger will cost the same amount as Tiger, and if you purchased the Mini within 14 days of Panther coming out you get a free upgrade (Got this from the guy at the Apple store).
Oh man is this post to confuse me? :crosseyed:
 
Tiger 10.4 will likely cost the same as Panther 10.3.

If you purchase a mac and a new o/s is released within 14-days, you get the new o/s for free, just show some proof of purchase and boom, you're done. I'm pretty sure you get some vouchers with Macs which entitle you to discounts on your next purchase, I seem to remember something like that coming with my iBook, PMac and Panther 10.3 set.
 
Hmm.. sounds good. I have read guesses of anywhere between March-June for Tiger so I hope it's March so I don't have to pay for upgrade. :classic: (as my Mac mini is reporting to be shipped 3.3.05)
 
More and more developer releases are seeing the light of day. Hopefully a sign the o/s is reaching it's final stages of development. However all we can do is wait.
 

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
62,015
Messages
673,494
Members
5,621
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back