[US politics] Appeals court denies parents' request to rehear Schiavo case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sazar said:
In his argument, he is following through with her wishes that she would not have wanted to be artificially sustained. The courts have agreed with him on this consistently so obviously his case is a heck of a lot stronger than the parents.
I'll say this again, I wouldn't care one stitch if the courts sided with her husband, I would feed my child if I thought she struggled for life

I'm amazed anyone thinks they wouldn't

that million or so, would have been too tempting to me i think ,given the fact she is dead anyway. But then again, wouldn't you feel bad nothing the Sports car your driving around is on the back of a dead womans Comatosed corpse.

If you were going to be doing this 15 years down the road, I would probably have to go with the previous posters suggestion of getting professional help.

It is not easy but beyond a point it is ludicrous to keep grasping for straws. I would do my utmost if any of my loved ones were in this position and it is always hardest to let go of your own blood. BUT its been FIFTEEN YEARS.

Besides that if you were going to be f*ckin up my life and those of millions of other americans, I would not be sympathising anymore.

no one really knows what they'll do when a situation arises they have never been in before. Until they are in it, we can speculate on what you may or may not want to do, but no definate answer can ever be obtain without the relevant experience, of which most people just don't have.

She has been in that state for as long as my son has been alive,he's 15.I couldn't bare to have had to see him live like she is for all that time.

lancer said:
no one really knows what they'll do when a situation arises they have never been in before. Until they are in it, we can speculate on what you may or may not want to do, but no definate answer can ever be obtain without the relevant experience, of which most people just don't have.
I'll agree there...but also add that everyone is going to react differently. We all seem to have differing opinions on what life really is, and what makes life meaningful.

I do hope that none of us are ever faced with this type of situation.

This is one of the subjetcs that has no answer because it is none of our buisness simple as that, If the husband has the right to make the choice ( because were he lives he has that right ) then so beit, but if that were the case dont see how we would be here. As for anything else it is none of your buisness to have an opinion on who and how anyone should live or die, sorry buy who the hell are you GOD himself? If it was your family fine other than that I think no one should be involved. The facts that the courts are fighting with should have been settled centurys ago. All this talk back and forth about how and if she should die is makeing me really mad!! It is none of your ****ing buisness if that woman lives or dies.

Just thank the lucky stars it is no one you love and not your child.

A few points need to be cleared up:

1. A court did not sentence Terri Schiavo to death. No court or judge did this. The Courts have simply upheld the decision made by the husband. They have also stated a feeding tube will not be re-inserted which again is not sentencing someone to death. They are upholding what has taken place and not ordering. Please remember this. There is an enormous difference between a Court supporting the legal rights of a person, Mr. Schiavo, and ruling that a feeding tube must be removed or replaced. If you don't see the difference then I'm sorry but it's beyond explaining.
2. People have mentioned how things might be different in Canada if Terri Schiavo was there. Guess what? They most definitely would be different. In a country with Socialized/Universal Health Care there are quotas. There is no way on Earth that the government would have shelled out the money to keep Schiavo in the state she is with absolutely no chance of recovery for the last 15 years. We wouldn't see this in the Canadian Courts and simply put, she'd have died years ago. That is not a valid argument.
3. It is our privatized health care system in the U.S. that has allowed this to even take place along with an out of control Governor and a Congress and President abusing their powers. Yes, I said abusing because they are.

In the end this comes down to emotions. There is no legal argument anyone can use to prove the parents have a right to keep their daughter "alive". There is absolutely no valid medical evidence showing that Terri Schiavo can recover. She has no cerebral cortex. It's gone. It's over.

All this case has displayed is how much that politicians are willing to bend the rules and overstep the bounds of their power. I am dumbstruck at the idiocy of what is taking place. The backlash is coming. Just give it time.

I respect peoples' individual beliefs on the matter even when I disagree with them. I do not however agree with false statements and people being suckered in by the lies of the Schiavo family in order to get Mr. Schiavo removed as Terri Schiavo's guardian. They are abusing the Courts and making a mockery of our entire political system. They are holding the American political and Court systems hostage and the Congress is suffering Stockholm Syndrome.

rotjong

at the top, I have to say again, I would let the child move on if she were mine, I don't think she's alive.

however the parents think otherwise, the parents think she struggles for life.

you keep bringing up the law and the courts as though it matters if the courts want to keep a parent from protecting their child.

the law holds no quarter when it comes to protecting my child, not one stitch...I can see the law would stop you from protecting your child even if you thought the government wanted to kill her...that's good for you...it's not good for me.

you also want to use catch phrases like "abusing" and "the politicians" and "false statements".

it comes down again to the simplest thing.

these parents want to feed their child, they think their child is alive and struggling to survive and all she needs is food and water.

the husband doesn't want them protect their child because he doesn't care for her quality of life.

personally, if these parents really believe their child struggles to survive, I don't think they are doing nearly as much as they should be doing to keep her alive...I would be standing guard and my child would be fed or you would kill me before I'd let you end her life.

I think we've all made our opinions known though.

you and everyone that wants to the girls parents to move on think you are doing some kind of good by keeping her parents from protecting their child

I think that it's an incredible kind of evil to keep them from protecting their child if they think she struggles for life

again, if she's dead, she's dead, and you are doing absolutely nothing to benefit the girl

if she's not dead, you are killing her...this can't be denied.

and once again, I don't think the state should be subsidizing the parents in this effort, they need to provide from their own resources, not mine or yours...no public or insurance resources should be expended in a situation like this.

however, the husband, the siblings and anyone that thinks she's dead can have it their way and just move on with their lives...they don't want to do that...they want to make sure she's dead...the only way to do that is to make sure she dies.

it's just a matter of inconvenience to those that want to make sure she's dead...that's all it is.

People have mentioned how things might be different in Canada if Terri Schiavo was there. Guess what? They most definitely would be different. In a country with Socialized/Universal Health Care there are quotas. There is no way on Earth that the government would have shelled out the money to keep Schiavo in the state she is with absolutely no chance of recovery for the last 15 years. We wouldn't see this in the Canadian Courts and simply put, she'd have died years ago. That is not a valid argument.

Ok and now prove this ?

You can give your opinion we all can but have you noticed Perris is only saying exactly what he see's and its all true this has nothing to do with law not a thing. This is about how parents feel about what is happening with their flesh and blood not yours not the lawyers not the judges theirs.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
have you noticed Perris is only saying exactly what he see's and its all true this has nothing to do with law not a thing. This is about how parents feel about what is happening with their flesh and blood not yours not the lawyers not the judges theirs.

If this was one of my children I would have to deal with it and it would be terrible how would I ? I dont know and I never want to be in the postion to have to. How can any one of you actually think that this is anyone's affaires excepts the ones that are family, I have said it over and over If the husband has rights about this deal that are allowed for in the law then so beit. Other than that no matter what if her Mother and Father feel a certain way who the hell is to say they are wrong? How dare you even think you are /or have an opinion in the life of another human being that matters when it is not even related to your direct family? Take care of your own and mind your own.

The parents do believe she is struggling, IMO. I feel sorry for them being in a state of denial.

Peoples' opinion of the law is their opinion and not mine and just as you are free to discuss this topic from your own viewpoint I am also free to discuss it from mine, correct?

This thread started based upon the article discussing the court case. Court cases deal with legal issues which also obviously encompasses the law. My points are mostly based on this. If you don't like that fine but it won't change my opinion of how I discuss the matter.

perris said:
you also want to use catch phrases like "abusing" and "the politicians" and "false statements".

What you label them as means nothing to me. Call them catch phrases but that doesn't change the validity of my statements.

perris said:
it comes down again to the simplest thing.

these parents want to feed their child, they think their child is alive and struggling to survive and all she needs is food and water.

the husband doesn't want them protect their child because he doesn't care for her quality of life.

personally, if these parents really believe their child struggles to survive, I don't think they are doing nearly as much as they should be doing to keep her alive...I would be standing guard and my child would be fed or you would kill me before I'd let you end her life.

The parents are trying to be parents, yes. I believe they are incorrect in this case both legally and personally. The law also believes they are incorrect at this point.

perris said:
I think we've all made our opinions known though.

you and everyone that wants to the girls parents to move on think you are doing some kind of good by keeping her parents from protecting their child

I've lived through a long illness of a loved one. I've lived through the feeding tubes and lack of consciousness. I've lived through the guilt, the torture, the agony. It's hard work, of course. There's more involved in letting a loved one die than just getting sick of the work. There are many personal questions.

I base my opinions on my personal beliefs, the law, and what I see taking place. Some people may thinl my approach is wrong but I really could care less. I'd rather make an argument based on numerous approaches than just a personal view. That's my choice to make.

rotjong

*edited a few typos.

I agree with rotjong, unless you have lived thorugh it, everything else is specualtion. The equivalent of having a penis in an abortion debate :laugh:

I've lived through it too rotjong, plenty of us have..I don't need to parade my personal life in front of the world to make my points, but the point is raised.

those of us that believed our relative was dead moved on with their lives...this was easy for them to do since they believed our relative was gone

those that believed our relative was not gone were grateful for the time left

simple..absolutely simple.

rotjong, you to your beliefs, me to mine.

I would say the shiavo's to their beleifs...however you say no, they can't have them...the shiavo's can only have the beliefs you want them to have.

if this is my child and I thought she struggled for life, I don't care what you think I should do, and I don't care what the law thinks I should do, I'm feeding her, and I'm protect her final struggle in life...my child gets food and my child gets water

you wanting me to do it according to what you beleive, and the courts wanting me to do it according towhat the husband wants just ain't gonna happen...If I think my little girl is in a stuggle for life, she WILL get food andshe WILL get water.

this is a fact.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Ok and now prove this ?
This comes from my personal experience with the Canadian healthcare system as well as the experience of people I know and care for. I also have had discussions in the past with a few people on the ups and downs of Universal Health Care in Canada. This type of topic was discussed but unrelated to the Schiavo case and numerous years ago.

I stated what I believe to be true. Don't agree? Okay. I won't be insulted or upset. I'm not here to please everyone with my what I post.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
You can give your opinion we all can but have you noticed Perris is only saying exactly what he see's and its all true this has nothing to do with law not a thing.
And because perris is simply stating his own personal opinions means he has a more valid point? Sorry, I don't buy this. This is just as much a law issue as it is anything else. There is a big picture here and I refuse to use tunnel vision on this. I've looked at both the big and small picture and I have my opinions on both. I won't make my posts/points/arguments based soley on personal beliefs even though I could. It's my right to post and debate the points as I see fit and you are more than free to disagree with me. I have no problems with that but telling me someone is more right because I bring up the law?

Kermit_The_Frog said:
This is about how parents feel about what is happening with their flesh and blood not yours not the lawyers not the judges theirs.
At one point this was true. However, this is no longer true. You may not like to hear it yet again but this case has perverted the entire system we live in. It has gone beyond a parent loving their child and trying to protect them.

In an ideal world we wouldn't have judges involved or the federal government or any courts. We don't live in an ideal world.

As I've said before I respect peoples opinions but I don't have to agree with them and people don't have to agree with me.

rotjong

Kermit_The_Frog said:
People have mentioned how things might be different in Canada if Terri Schiavo was there. Guess what? They most definitely would be different. In a country with Socialized/Universal Health Care there are quotas. There is no way on Earth that the government would have shelled out the money to keep Schiavo in the state she is with absolutely no chance of recovery for the last 15 years. We wouldn't see this in the Canadian Courts and simply put, she'd have died years ago. That is not a valid argument.

Actually, I've heard that this is a problem in Canada. With Universal Health Care, you have many people hooked up indefinitely on life support, and with doctors typically on two-week rotations in the hospital, no one wants to be the doctor who pulls the plug. Hence, you have all of these "vegetables" with little to no chance of recovery being a drain on the system. Correct me, of course, if I'm wrong.

Melon

Wrong or right who is to say if the person has left no wishes to follow who has the right to say you die? I dont care if it is a drain, lets get real as if the goverment actully spends money properly anyways and as if I would pay less taxes if they kill all the "vegetables" ( I really dont like that term ) for me they are people ...if they did not keep them alive I am sure I would pay less taxes right? So yes lets kill them all so I can save a buck.

See you know as well as I that with them or without them my taxes wont change dont be silly they would just up my cost on some other piece of paper and still take the money.

And again this is not about law to me its not thats for sure.

I think this is more a murder mystery then anything. I believe the husband is partially responsible and having her die and "taken care of" protects him. If he were to turn her over to her parents they would run tests and want answers. ;)

Xie said:
I think this is more a murder mystery then anything. I believe the husband is partially responsible and having her die and "taken care of" protects him. If he were to turn her over to her parents they would run tests and want answers. ;)
Where on earth have you read that her husband caused this?
It was caused when her heart stopped briefly because of a chemical imbalance. :speechless:

How pathetic is this? Talk about double standards. She can't be allowed to die but the husband can be killed??
Meanwhile, FBI agents have arrested a man in North Carolina on suspicion of soliciting offers over the internet to kill Mr Schiavo and the judge in the case.

He is accused of offering $250,000 for the killing of Mr Schiavo and another $50,000 for the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back