[US politics] Appeals court denies parents' request to rehear Schiavo case

Status
Not open for further replies.
once again, you are attributing things that a healthy person feels and does, in a state like she is in, the body shuts down, gradually and without pain.
you have to remember, that she was tube fed, liquid nourishment, nothing of susbtance for 15 some odd years, there are no hunger pains, she cannot feel any. Go back and read my previous post with a link on how starvation works on a damaged body. I agree, that there should be a better way, but this is not inhumane.

Also, given the current political climate and the furor this has caused, it will be a cold day in hell before patients are given access to euthanasia, whether or not you agree with it.

Family supporters said Schiavo's breathing became increasingly labored during the day. An attorney for the Schindlers, Barbara Weller, said hospice workers began giving morphine to Schiavo to ease pain brought on by her body's failure.

Now figure this to ease the pain ? Yes as I figured this is murder

The Schindlers have argued, for instance, that she should be spared based on statements by Pope John Paul II that people in vegetative states have a right to nutrition and hydration. They say Terri would have obeyed the pope and would not choose to have her tube removed. That argument was rebuffed in the state courts.

The woman is roman catholic and the head of her church has said she has the rights to be nurished. I see that they are not respecting her religon or the head of her church.

I am sorry but I say this woman is being killed by the united states and its laws.

As far as the morphine, yes to ease the pain, standard hospital relief even though she cannot feel any pain. Hospitals have rules.

Well we are a nation of laws are we not?

As far as the Catholic church is concerned, marriage is the law that leads spousal rights, for the parents to invoke this is pure rubbish, the husband has rights according to the catholic church. This is what the parents are refusing to believe, and they are dragging this out. Even in the face of their own religion. So can they pick and choose when and what to be cathiolic in?
bad argument, which is why the courts have not even considered it.

Too easy to say oh well yes they have rules she feels no pain but we give her morphine to ease the pain. lol ok sure

nation of laws << nope

And again I don't see where you can say that the pope has not said this woman has the right to be fed and that he is not the head of her church.

And it cleary says that they are giving her the drugs to ease the pain nothing about this is a formality or rule just because, it says out right to ease the pain of her body as it is shutting down, point period.

OK, so if she is catholic, than mariiage is sacrosanct, and unimpeachable, the husband has final say so. She told him , she did not want to be machine supported. The parents, are refusing to believe in the institution of marriage, not respecting the church, and it's laws. but yet they are arguing that the church does want her removed, true but, waht about the institution of marriage.

There is a lot to be reconciled here, there is no doubt about that but that is between the church and the parents. Not the marriage of Terri and Michael Schiavo

like I said before, are they going to pick when they are catholic, or not? they cannot have it both ways

terminal patients have a bill of rights, in all US hospitals. they have a script to follow, regardless of whether she feels pain or not.

My grandmother was given morphine for her end stages, her body was beyond responding...

You are avoiding the questions I am sorry about your Grandma btw.

Now back to the Pope I dont see where you keep throwing in the husband I am talking about the Pope, and the fact that you say well all hospitals have to follow rules is fine , but they are giving her these drugs to ease the pain so she is in pain and she is being killed , simple really nothing to do with her husband but the fact is all you are doing is talking about the husband he does not have rights above the Popes thats for sure, and I dont see where you mention what his thoughts are on this matter, seems its the husband or the courts, but her parents and the head of the church mean nothing.

Oh well may this end soon for her poor woman imagine they would not let her partake in a easter religous ceremony as if it would have hurt anyone.. terrible terrible and this on the Easter Sunday

well I am off to bed.

God Bless you all ! and God Bless that poor woman.

just for your information , it was the husband who wanted this stopped, it was the parents who hijacked this situation. the courts have upheld the husbands rights.

as far as the church and marriage that is for them to figure out.

Kermit I hope you never have to spend time in any hospital.

Xie said:
From what I've heard the bone fractures have been with her from the begining and have never been investigated as all medical stuff has been blocked by the husband.

Let me respond to this in a few ways.

1. As has already been mentioned the attempts to revive Terri Schiavo most likely caused any broken bones in her ribcage area.
2. Her history as a bulemic would have made her more likely to have weak bones, IMO. This made it more likely that CPR and the like would cause some broken bones.
3. I cannot find any mention of allegations of abuse dating before 2004. In 2004 an investigation took place and was closed saying NO abuse happened. Now in 2005 they are saying again that abuse did take place and people are saying Mr. Schiavo is blocking an investigation. It has already been investigated and found to be false. In 2005, now, this is nothing but a tactic to wrestle guardianship away from Mr. Schiavo. I don't see merit in this and neither do the courts and understandably so. Why was this not brought up 15 years ago? Coincidental that abuse was brought up years after and when it could be used in a manner to block Mr. Schiavo's decisions which he lawfully has.

I feel for everyone involved and I hope this ordeal ends soon but when you really look at the drawn out "suffering" you can point your finger in one direction... the Schindlers, Jeb Bush, the U.S. Congress, and President Bush. Jeb Bush is the biggest political bullseyes, however, because he started the whole ball rolling in 2001. This should have remained a private matter based upon the existing laws and this entire national debate shouldn't even be taking place.

I wish the best for everyone involved and that it will end soon.

rotjong

I believe the alleged abuse was of sometimes the most hurtful, verbal. It's believed that she was alleged belumic was abuse from her husband about her weight, ect.

Also if your going to bring marriage or religion into this then I think that you have to look into the fact that the husband has been technically cheating on Terri since shortly after her collapse. Shouldn't the law be able to do something about that? How does a husband that is sleeping with other woman still get the title of husband and decide what she wants (years, a few women, and multiple children later)?

How does a husband that is sleeping with other woman still get the title of husband and decide what she wants (years, a few women, and multiple children later)?
SUCH a good point...this is an area where I don't think too many people will argue that the law as it stands fails

I believe that peoples private lives are just that private,and what he allegedly did has nothing to do with the issue of should this poor woman be allowed to die.

I don't care about his private life marge.

the point is that she trusted him proxy for her well being while he was her husband.

I kind of wonder if she'd like him to have the same authority when there is an obvious conflict of interest with his other family.

he's married to someone else now...I would think that the law should change his standing and it should be differant then when he was her husband and guardian

he married her, what he has done after her incident or accident is after the fact. when he went through this process he was legal guardian and financially responsible.

I would think that once he forfeits the bond of marriage, he shouldn't be proxy to her well being

How many people do you know that want their "ex" to be responsible for their well being when they are incapable to make decisions for themselfs

would you?

every "ex" I know would do what's best for their current wife and family...an obvious conflict of interest.

perris said:
he's married to someone else now...I would think that the law should change his standing and it should be differant then when he was her husband and guardian

Actually, no he's not. He has a girlfriend and children with her. He is still legally married to Terri Shiavo.

Frankly, in any other instance, I would think he's scum for cheating on his spouse. In this instance, she's been essentially dead for 15 years. Maybe he still loves his wife, but all the love in the world isn't going to bring her back. But I certainly can't speak for him. I just think that those who automatically paint him as "scum" are probably just listening to the biased ramblings of her parents, who don't seem all that sane, honestly.

Melon

I don't think he's scum for moving on with his life.

and I suppose it does make a differance if he's not legally married.

however he is socially married by virtue of his other family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back