[US politics] Appeals court denies parents' request to rehear Schiavo case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evil Marge said:
Where on earth have you read that her husband caused this?
It was caused when her heart stopped briefly because of a chemical imbalance. :speechless:

How pathetic is this? Talk about double standards. She can't be allowed to die but the husband can be killed??

This is probably why many "right-to-lifers" are also ardent supporters of the death penalty. Everyone is reduced to being "good" or "evil," and the "evil" ones should be killed. So much for "love your enemies," right?

Melon

The only way I can feel about this is if I were in her place. I would want to be put into a blissfull sleep of morphine, and then some.

Would it be murder? No, it would be what I want.
Would it be suicide? Not if I were incapable of making a logical decision at that point.
Would it violate God's laws? I don't think so. I believe that the soul is the logical and moral part of a human. What makes us different than a rock or veggie. Thereby my soul would already be dead.
Would it hurt others? Not as much as watching me for years never knowing.

I do not agree with the way they are allowing her to die. But I feel that in her place I would not want to burden and cause pain to those that I loved.

The whole problem though is that we are all imperfect and cannot make decisions for each other, or ourselves without the decision being flawed in some way.

Xie said:
I think this is more a murder mystery then anything. I believe the husband is partially responsible and having her die and "taken care of" protects him. If he were to turn her over to her parents they would run tests and want answers. ;)
She was bulemic, And had lost more than a 100 pounds over the course of her bulemia. Bulemia strips potassium from the system which in turn places a strain on the heart. This is not a valid argument other than to demonize tha husband. Does she have broken bones, yes, the efforts to revive her in CPR do that. Anyone who has ever done CPR will tell you with chest compressions, you will hear the ribs breaking.

from the parents;

"She does not want to die," Mr. Schindler said after a late morning visit to his daughter's bedside. "She is fighting like hell to stay alive.

from the lawers;

Lawyers for the Schindlers argued in their motion filed late Friday before Judge Greer that they had new evidence that Ms. Schiavo had more ability to communicate than had previously been supposed, pointing to a meeting they said occurred on March 18 between the stricken woman and one of the lawyers.

At that time, they said, Ms. Schiavo made two sounds, "Ahhh" and "Waaa," in response to a questioner who asked if she wanted to live. The Schindlers interpreted the sounds as an effort to say that she did indeed want to live.

whether they are right or wrong doesn't matter does it...all that matters is that they think their little girl wants to live.

perris said:
At that time, they said, Ms. Schiavo made two sounds, "Ahhh" and "Waaa," in response to a questioner who asked if she wanted to live. The Schindlers interpreted the sounds as an effort to say that she did indeed want to live.

For argument's sake, she could also have said "I want to die."

Although I doubt she said anything at all.

Melon

I agree with you melon

however, it's the parents that think they know also...they think she wants to live...if you thought your child struggled to survive, what would you do to protect her?

I know what I'd do.

falconguard said:
Does she have broken bones, yes, the efforts to revive her in CPR do that. Anyone who has ever done CPR will tell you with chest compressions, you will hear the ribs breaking.
Yeah I know that chest compressions can break ribs, though from what I've heard it wasn't broken ribs that were mentioned. The husband just seems overly eager to have her killed and done and over with.

On another note if she really is that bad off, and she can't feel anything, why not just give her a shot and have it over and done with? Why are they bascially starving and dehydrating her to death? Seems harsher in a way then capitol punishment IMO.

Xie said:
Yeah I know that chest compressions can break ribs, though from what I've heard it wasn't broken ribs that were mentioned. The husband just seems overly eager to have her killed and done and over with.

Terri Schiavo has been on antiseizure medications while in her coma. This can cause contribute to osteoporosis. I don't think her history of bulemia is going to help with this and if anything will contribute more to it. The fact that she is bedridden likely further exacerbates the problem. With the osteoporosis you end up with bone degeneration which can lead to bone fractures w/o "abuse" being needed.

I don't see the husband as being overly eager. I see him as a person who has accepted things. He's a man with a bullseye painted on his forehead. People want to kill him and one person already has been charged.

rotjong

rotjong said:
Terri Schiavo has been on antiseizure medications while in her coma. This can cause contribute to osteoporosis. I don't think her history of bulemia is going to help with this and if anything will contribute more to it. The fact that she is bedridden likely further exacerbates the problem. With the osteoporosis you end up with bone degeneration which can lead to bone fractures w/o "abuse" being needed.
From what I've heard the bone fractures have been with her from the begining and have never been investigated as all medical stuff has been blocked by the husband.

Xie said:
On another note if she really is that bad off, and she can't feel anything, why not just give her a shot and have it over and done with? Why are they bascially starving and dehydrating her to death? Seems harsher in a way then capitol punishment IMO.

Yes what a beautiful way to help someone in need starve and dry them out like a prune.

What a truely wondefull thing they are doing for her.

You are again attributing things that you feel to her, don't her cerebral cortex is gone. for those of you who dont know
Vertebrate brains receive signals through nerves arriving from most portions of a body, interpret those signals and formulate reactions based on prior experiences and on physical needs. A similarly extensive nerve network delivers signals from a brain to control muscles throughout a body.

Sensory input is processed by the brain to recognize danger, find food, and identify potential mates, among other goals. Visual, touch, and auditory sensory pathways of vertebrates are routed to the thalamus and then to regions of the cerebral cortex that are specific to each sensory system: the visual system, the auditory system and the somatosensory system. Olfactory pathways are routed to the olfactory bulb, then to various parts of the olfactory system. Taste is routed through the brainstem and then to other portions of the gustatory system.
from wikipedia

all of this goes through her cerebral cortex to the brain stem, and vice versa, none of this works

Dont care that you say that she does not feel it I really dont , I do not think this is proper and I think they should have a better way of doing what they are saying is needed to be done, see if they did have a better way then for one we would not all have to endure this long drawn out imho cruel way of ending this persons life,its bad enough the poor lady had to die at such a young age and in such a terrible manner, but to have the entire world follow this and have it last so long is in my opinion no were near acceptable in this day and age.

for that I agree with you, but until we are civil enough to legalize euthanasia....this will be played out over and over again. I'm sorry to say.

Welcome to the world of floridians for the past 7 years Kermit.

Btw, wrt what is taking place, it is standard procedure for people in a PVS. It is about the most humane method w/o using a catalyst to kill her.

Xie said:
From what I've heard the bone fractures have been with her from the begining and have never been investigated as all medical stuff has been blocked by the husband.

They were investigated and said to be consistent with her fall after her collapse and subsequent attempts to resuscitate her.

This was posed and answered earlier in the thread. Conspiracy theorists have repeatedly raised this as character assasination but there has been no proof to indicate Michael did anything of the sort.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
but to have the entire world follow this and have it last so long is in my opinion no were near acceptable in this day and age.

For that I blame the parents. They are the ones who turned this into the three ring circus that it is ...

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Dont care that you say that she does not feel it I really dont , I do not think this is proper and I think they should have a better way of doing what they are saying is needed to be done, see if they did have a better way then for one we would not all have to endure this long drawn out imho cruel way of ending this persons life,its bad enough the poor lady had to die at such a young age and in such a terrible manner, but to have the entire world follow this and have it last so long is in my opinion no were near acceptable in this day and age.
Agreed. If your going to kill the poor woman just do it, why basically treat her like she is in a concentration camp? How is letting her starve to death because nobody will feed her better then just putting her "to sleep"? You wouldn't let your "brain dead" dog just sit around till it starved/dehydraded to death.

Xie said:
Agreed. If your going to kill the poor woman just do it, why basically treat her like she is in a concentration camp? How is letting her starve to death because nobody will feed her better then just putting her "to sleep"? You wouldn't let your "brain dead" dog just sit around till it starved/dehydraded to death.

yes, agreed. this is not humane.
to the sympathsizers, this is torture. to terri, God only knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back