Windows Registry

Re: Re: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Originally posted by AlecStaar

Nope! Home & Pro are same as far as my program is concerned...

(You did not tell me you ran this program before & had to reformat, did you?)

* So far, LonMan & StoneHenge are doing OK on it, & you have your restore point set, right ZipTrix? I would use it...

:)

APK

Ummmmm you know that would be a good idea, but uuhhhh I couldn't boot into safe mode so I could restore :p

I just rebooted, just in case, and I'm fine. Nothing that I deleted messed me up, so far so good.

Originally posted by St0n3H3ng3
I just rebooted, just in case, and I'm fine. Nothing that I deleted messed me up, so far so good.

Well don't you suck.....j/k Well I'm in the process of RE-installing everything, so should I run it again and post you what it lists and NOT delete anything?

Cool. Work on it, and just email me the update when you finish it. I'll keep testing this one until the next final release, and then I'll test that. Don't forget to sleep... :)

Help and Support still ok. Everything (as far as I can tell) is working great.

I'll be hitting the sack now, as I only have 6 hours before I have to get up for work :( If you have any questions, just post or PM me, and I'll answer from work tomorrow.

I've been busy getting things ready for a clean installation (copying a ton of stuff to a spare drive). Just got back to read the posts.

I shut down and rebooted. A-okay here, help and support still alive and well. As far as I can tell nothing vital missing here.

I'm not sure what happened to ZipTrix, maybe it's something unique to XP home. I'm running Pro here.

(I'll be offline for awhile, til tomorrow sometime. Doing a clean intallation to set my stuff up different, good luck)

Cool, our timetables are working out well then.

I'm on 2K right now and getting ready to reinstall XP onto its nice new shiny partition. Been kinda leary about running NTFS after a disaster I had with losing all my stuff in 2K a while back. I put 2K on a small primary partition as a safety net. By the time you're ready, i'll be ready too :D .

Yeah, I think i'll take an image this time myself. This is a pain loading ALL that cool stuff, lol. Oh, and rehacking and tweaking everything too, can't forget that:rolleyes:. But it's cool, another evolution in my hobby.

"Neither am I! I am still wondering what he meant when he said he told me he ran it before & had to reinstall... he did not say that here in this post, nor in email to me? Hmmmmm....

(IF anything, home has less registry than Pro, it's a shaved-down model of Pro, which is a shaved down model of the server series'...)

It could be he was already heading towards a crash anyhow... but, he has a restore point in place so he is not in any danger. All he has to do is reactivate his restore point really, like you have been doing LonMan.

(But, we'll see... he is going to run it again once he has it up & running again he stated. We'll find out for sure!)"

My fault...I thought I told you that I ran it twice before and things went bad. Well I did have restore points BUT I couldn't restore. Couldn't boot into Windows OR safe mode. I don't know how to use the recovery console (in dos mode) either. :(

Anyways I did the reinstallation last night and now I have MAJOR lag in the OS so I am going to reinstall XP again. Here is a screenshot of what your program listed. I'm going to delete what it listed and see if I get the same error again.

Originally posted by AlecStaar

From your photo already, that you DID mention above? You're already missing files you considered critical my program was basically warning you about: devldr.exe & ctwdm16.drv...

(Did you just load them, or another program before running my program? I see mentions of InstallShield in there too, with time/date stamps on them of them being in your MUICache... that is MOST RECENTLY USED CACHE! I suspect you loaded a bum driver to be honest!)

(You told me you KNOW you need those files for sound right? Well, how are you going to use them if my program says this to you basically (again, which you noted above):

"I see you reference devldr.exe here in the registry, but I cannot find it on the disk! This is a problem."

Sounds like you were missing files beforehand anyways... you did look for those & told me above that you needed them!)

I know my program did not delete them, or any other files... it can't! All it can read/write to is the registry, and its backup file, which is APK.REG!

* :)

APK

P.S.=> Personally, it does look like you had hassles to start with missing files you told me you needed in short... I suspect you loaded a bum driver to be honest again, because of installers & LoadDrivers.exe being in your MUI Cache, your most recently used files list there! apk
I found out what those program were. They are the dos emulation drivers. They're not on my system this time cause I just installed the Window drivers. No need for DOS. I'm going to reboot right now....so IF I'm not back in 10 minutes to post you know I had to reformat.......(all in the process to find that pesky bug in your program and ask it why it dislikes me..lol) (mucked up that post) Well I'm back and no errors....which is making me wonder now. I'm going to flash my bios and reinstall windows and everything that I use...then I'll run norton's ghost too (going to buy it..err)...and then I'll run your program again delete reboot and see what happens.

Guys - whats the outcome of this thread? I am always looking to trim bloat off my registry. Is you app fixed now APK - how did this thread end?

K

Hey Alecc thought you might like to see this.

Here

Remember that error I told you I got? Soemthing about a file in the Windows\System32\Config folder? Well I found some info on microsoft.com which might be the problem I had. You might understand it better then me :)

Not second guessing you but just so I know. I ran the program and see what it listed. spoolsv.exe deals with the printer service, and lsass deals with protectage storage service along with others. So why is it listing those or do they leave entries in the registry each time they are ran?

Backup isnt' working for me. It's creating a file each time I hit backup, but they're always blank. Tried it with single selection, multiple selection, many times on both, no joy.

Still have help and support fully functional so that part is perfected on my machine.

I'm having the same problem as Lonman, blank backups.

Everything else seems ok, including Help and Support.

By the way, thanks for the credit in About. Really appreciate that, though you are the one who did all the hard work! :)

Well, because when it runs & you find errors that display on the grid?? It is writing a backup, RIGHT THEN! THIS IS THE REAL BACKUP BEING CREATED!
Where is this file at?

does anyone know if the trial version of Norton's ghost is like the full version with a time limit on it? If so I'm going to use it and then try this program again. ;)

*I'll get you my pesky little program*

Well, thus far, here's the verdict.

It works. It finds the keys, deletes them, and everything still works. Even Help and Support, which was causing problems earlier. Only thing is, the backups. Like Lonman, I can't find them on my HD. I've done a search, and it doesn't come up with them, even after searching, closing, researching, reclosing, etc.

By the way, I like that you added the warning for the Safety Guard like I'd suggested. Now, I noticed that you get the message again when you re-enable the Safety Guard. Maybe not necessary when re-enabling it? (Though this is just nit picking again :) )

Basically, other than I can't find the backup files like I'd like, everything seems to be in perfect working order.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back