Windows Registry

Alec, yes I am using the latest version. Tried the last one you sent me (6.0++ with Journaling) and when I was still having problems, I downloaded the latest version on winsite.com, which is the same thing. Tried that one too, and it didn't work either. Tried doing like Lonman suggested, and copied the reg files to a bogus Windows folder, and it didn't work either.

Originally posted by AlecStaar

Let me do a recompile writing the .reg files as he sees that other program, RegClean doing them... brb!

* Speed4ever, not just yet... let me "overcome the objections" here first... this is simple to fix up! These guys are REALLY testing the hell out of it, which is GOOD!

:)

APK

Now you tell me....TO LATE!! :D

BTW, I dont see anything wrong yet, although I was selective in what I deleted.

Is there anything I should be looking for?

What's not working is the backup. I scan, it finds keys. I click on Exit, and check apk.reg, it's empty, except for Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00. I rescan, click Backup, then click Exit. Same thing, and I have not backup file generated. My Windows folder is E:\WinXP (and I've put the files in there, as stated in the Read Me file included in your zip file), and to Lonman's suggestion, I've created a bogus Windows folder on my drive (E:\Windows), in which I've included the reg files. No changes in there either. I've even copied them on my WinME folder (C:\Windows), and they remain the same. I've checked to make sure the files aren't Read Only, and they aren't. I've changed channels on my tv, no change. I've turned off my tv, no change. Turned of the screensaver, no change. I've overwritten the files with those in the zip file, no change. I've done everything I can think of, never any change. I'm going to reboot in ME, and try running it in ME, and see. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to edit this, I have to make sure you see it is why, I figured out your problem, it's a useability thing:

(12/21/2001 edit: I found why you cannot do it - you are not picking APK.REG or APKBackup.reg EXPLICITY from the File Open dialog picker! You cannot merge *.reg, you have to pick either APK.REG or APKBackup.reg! Found that from viewing your Event Viewer, Application logs you put out for me to examine, since my app logs EVERYTHING it does... everything! Great measure I felt!)

Destroy & reimport one of the SAME keys mine has, not two different ones... I want to see something!
Not sure what you're requesting. Please restate request - I'm just a little dense tonite - i think i poisened myself on barbecue potato chips.:(

LonMan, you should not be deleting CLSID's

Oh no, I don't trust Regclean. I just ran it for comparison and slapped everything it pulled out right back in.

Ok, well, I just tried it out in ME, and the backup worked. (I didn't try deleting anything yet, as I just want to get it working in XP right now.) Now, give me about half an hour, I'll reboot in XP, delete all the files, reboot, reinstall all the files, and I'll try it again. Hopefully, it'll work.

Well, I'm back. I have good and bad news. The bad news is, it didn't write anything to apk.reg. BUT, the good news is, there is something wrong, I get four error messages to my Event Viewer - Application. I'm including a txt file with the four errors. I cleared my Event Viewer before closing it, and these four errors are the only ones in, all linked to your registry cleaner. There doesn't seem to be much info in there, but you might be able to figure it out. Should have thought about looking in there before... doh! My bad!

Sorry to edit this, I have to make sure you see it is why, I figured out your problem, it's a useability thing:

(12/21/2001 edit: I found why you cannot do it - you are not picking APK.REG or APKBackup.reg EXPLICITY from the File Open dialog picker! You cannot merge *.reg, you have to pick either APK.REG or APKBackup.reg! Found that from viewing your Event Viewer, Application logs you put out for me to examine, since my app logs EVERYTHING it does... everything! Great measure I felt!)

XPReg Cleaner

AlecStaar. I read all the threads you and the other people wrote on your XPReg Cleaner, so I downloaded it and tried it.

I had absolutely no problems with it, but I didn't think I would after all the work you did on it.

Just a question payment, is it still shareware and if so, how do I send you the money? :confused:

Great program

Ok, well, I'm out of ideas. I've got time off next week, and I'm considering going to XP only. If I do, I'll try it out, and see if maybe something I have installed is causing the problem. Because, like I said, it works under ME, and I'm using the files from the same zip file...

GOOD!

I was hoping to get a test on that in ME too, awesome, it works there too!

(Don't use ME myself is why!)

* :)

APK

Alex,

Be careful about ME's Help & Support also. Theres been problems with reg cleaners with that one.

I'll look up the regfix for that that should give you the keys for ME. THey may be different from XP's

The remerge seems to work well from within your program. But i notice they're not regular registry files. Just a suggestion (because they won't merge outside of your program), you might want to give them a different extension so folks (like me ;) ) won't get them confused with a regular .reg file.

Alex,

Is everyone else still using the version you posted yesterday, or am I behind?

BTW, that one seemed to work just fine, although it took about 15 minutes. I'm assuming thats by design...

NO, StoneHenge is making an error in HOW he uses the Restore part! He is not picking APK.REG or APKBackup.reg files when he restores... my app's Event Viewer, Applications Log section viewer is showing him TRYING TO RESTORE *.reg, not a valid filename! He has to explicitly pick APK.REG or APKBackup.Reg as the title of it shows in the File Open File picker box I have it display on Restores!

PLUS, he tested it on ME, & it is working fine, Help & Support is OK on ME too... as well as XP!

I simply meant that the *Forum* doesnt accept .reg attachments.

Sorry, I hadn't realized that you got that far with ME already, just thought I'd chime in that one. I remember people having problems with RCs and ME, it created some nightmares for some. The XP H&S problem just reminded me of that.

But thats cool, its fixed already...

Wheres the latest version? :cool:

<<We really need a chatroom here...:D >>

I think I should clarify a few things. The problem I'm having in XP, is that when I scan my registry, it DOESN'T add they keys into apk.reg, and when I click on backup, it DOESN'T copy apk.reg to a new file names apkbackup.reg. From what I've read from your posts, you seem to think that my problem is restoring the keys from apk.reg to my registry. I can't test that, since apk.reg is empty, except for Windows Registry Version 5.00 (or something like that, I'm going from memory on that one...)

Also, I DID NOT test in ME yet. All I did was scan the registry, and the keys it found were added to apk.reg, and when I clicked backup, it created apkbackup.reg with the contents of apk.reg. I will test it further on ME if you want me to, but I was just trying to get it to run for me under XP.

Now, I've maybe thought of something. Does your program created registry keys, or some type of configuration file? The reason I ask is that if I delete the exe file, reboot, put a new version on my hard drive and run it, the window opens in the same dimensions as it did before with the old version, even though I resized it the first time I ran it. I'm thinking if there are reg keys, for instance, one of them might have wrong information in it, that would cause it to try and write to *.reg instead of apk.reg. Don't think so though, doesn't seem like something you'd do... :D

Anyways, will test further tonight and on the weekend. And by the way, yes, my user "Nick" does have Administrator rights on the machine.

PS: just a comment, it seemed to me that it ran faster under ME than it does under XP. Though that may be because XP's registry is larger than ME's.

To answer your question, no I did not save them under a new format. I even deleted all the files and recopied them after a reboot, and it does the same thing. I will test in ME also. I had mentionned before that I had only tried scanning the registry and hadn't deleted anything. I think. I was tired last night after quite a full week of work, testing, Christmas party, and Lord of the Rings. Things will only get worst with a wedding tomorrow, and Christmas next Tuesday, though, thank god, I'm only working Monday morning, and then I'm off for the whole week... :D

Now I have a question. I've just tried it on two machines here at work. Both have C:\winnt as their system root folder. Both are NTFS, just like my XP partition at home, unlike my ME that's FAT32. Now, the three on NTFS partitions DON'T work, while the one on a FAT32 partition does. In fact, in NT, I get an error message when closing the program. I've included it with this post. Are you guys running it on NTFS or FAT? Could this be the problem?

Originally posted by St0n3H3ng3
Now I have a question. I've just tried it on two machines here at work. Both have C:\winnt as their system root folder. Both are NTFS, just like my XP partition at home, unlike my ME that's FAT32. Now, the three on NTFS partitions DON'T work, while the one on a FAT32 partition does. In fact, in NT, I get an error message when closing the program. I've included it with this post. Are you guys running it on NTFS or FAT? Could this be the problem?

i'm running NTFS had to reformat (but we still don't know what caused that problem yet) will keep you up to date on that

G'day all. I am running XP with FAT32 and had no problems at all. I intend to try it out on my other computer that is running ME.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back