Windows Registry

Cool, Got it now. I deleted all "APK*.*" files in the windows directory, copied APK.reg back to it. Ran a new session and all entries that came up on the grid are in 2 files: Apk.reg and APK****backup.reg as well as a blank APK****backup.reg.

One more question. I have a file in my root directory called D:\ WINDOWSAPK.reg. This file is blank and I didn't copy it there. (when i say blank the files usually have "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in them, but no registry entries.) Not a thing, just curious about it's function. Is it meant to copy to the root?

The FIFTH smiley: :D You EARNED that one buddy, really good work!

You might consider separating the automatic function from the manual function. Let the program do it's default backup to APK.reg and leave it alone as an untouched resource fail-safe. Then let the user select what he/she wants to backup, right down to the naming and location storage. That way if i want to select all entries and save it as Lonman.reg on my desktop... make sense?

Additionally, make an 'if' clause that if apk.reg exists, make apk1(etc).reg for future sessions. That way those files are always available to roll back as far as we'd like - your journaling idea.

Lonman's suggestion sounds good. It would be great to decide what to name your backup file, and where to save it.

By the way, unlike Lonman, I'm still not getting the APK****backup.reg files. Running it again, but no success yet. I'll let you know if I get it working.

St0n, try what i did. Close the program. delete all the apk*.* files in the windows folder. Recopy APK.reg to the windows folder, and then run a new session of the program. see it that helps. Oh, and don't do a manual backup when the program is done, just check your windows folder and see if they saved.

You're running that newest one right? Check your email to make sure.

Just out of curiousity....will the program run correctly without the apk.reg file in the windows directory?

I don't think so, i think that was my initial mistake. I started the program before i copied it over. I think it needs to be there before you run the program.

I tried doing like Lonman did (delete everything and recopy apk.reg), reran it, and still, no backup file, nothing in apk.reg.

As for keeping everything in apk.reg, I think it's a good idea. Delete it's contents on your own when your sure everything is ok.

I like the concept.

To clarify - I run the program today, backup, delete all entries - everything is in 2 files.

I run the program next week, backup, delete all entries, all previous and present entries are in APK.reg, I have my old backup AND another backup, or will it just overwrite the original backup file?

First run looks good. Doing a second run to test journaling. Will let you know how it goes.

Journaling isn't working correctly. After my second run i went into APK.reg and it had cleared the first run and replaced it with the second run. The backup folder was as it should be, only entries being those of the second run. I didn't do anything with either file between runs.

Ran the latest verson of winsite:

All okay - backed up to apk.reg successfully.

went to help and support. Whilst hovering over the links the pop up balloon is now intermitent and flashing.

Havent found others yet

K

Personally, I'd prefer the journaling option to keep adding to the APK.reg file. I like that fail-safe feature.

I think you're getting to the point now that you can do away with the emergency restore .reg files, APK_FIX_ACCESSDATABASESandVB1_REG4Style_NT49xME.reg, etc. I don't think anyone is having a problem with those entries any longer. Anyway, they have the backups to work with if they get into an immediate jam. What do you think?

ok, question. I didn't copy those over to the windows folder. I've run your program several times now and help and support is as sassy as ever. Your program is picking them up ok as long as they're in the same folder i run it from??

Originally posted by AlecStaar

Kylie, this "intermittent flashing", was it during my program operating? I bet it was, wasn't it??

DO Let me know... if you were running my app WHILE that happened!

No all closed after a clean up. Its actually not intermitent its pretty much on / off / on / off as you hover the links. Approx 1/2 sec between cycles

K

Perfect!!

Journaling is a success!

Kylie, I looked at my help and support for the flashing balloon tip thingy. Mine seems solid. Are you running XP home or Pro? does remerging what you delete fix it?

Narrowed it down :) Its that "cursorXP" you can get it from our site. The app that lets you use all xp`s shadwing etc

not your side APK :)))))

Sorry for disappearing like that last night. Phone line just died, and being on DSL, no phone = no internet :mad:

Anyways, I'm at work now, and swamped, so I can't get to it right now, but I should be home early tonight, and I'll try it out then and let you know.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back