Then you likely have an OEM version of XP. Simply do the following:

1. Search for a file callled "UXTHEME.DL_"
2. Rename it to "uxtheme.bak"
3. Run PatchXP
4. Reboot
5. Double click on an mssyles file.

This should get it working..

Broken Link

the link for the patch doesn't seem to be working. can somebody e-mail me the patch file? thx.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Grab it here.......till the link is back up.

Hi, After a long search I've finally found this one. And yes, it is actually there.

I Installed it once and upon reboot XP told me it could not load Explorer.EXE due to missing UXTheme.dll. So with absolutely no UserInterface but the Wallpaper, luckily CTRL-ALT-DEL worked and let me start a new task COMMAND. from there I found the UXTMEME.BAK and copied it back to UXTHEME.DLL. After a reboot the system was back again but only with CLASSIC-THEME. Nothing else.

I ran the patch again and did an unpatch. After a restart the system was back again everythin ok.

I set my theme to classic and searched for UXTHEME.DL* . I found one .DL_ and three DLL that I renamed to .DL1.

Then I ran the patch again and this time everything was OK after the reboot.

However. XP is completely unimpressed about new themes. I downloaded AquaOSXP from XPThemes. And no matter if I doublecklick on the .msstyles - file or try to pick it from the properties window. All I get is Blue, olive, and silver and also nothing new on the "Designs" tab.
Any Idea

Thanks

I have now looked into this by watching the files in a search result.

I had a .BAK So I think the Patch thought it did not have to do anything.

I now unpatched, deleted all .bak and reran the patch.

The patch runs and creates the new .dll's and .bak's in \SYSTEM32 as well as \system32\dllcache.

Then before I can even push "REBOOT" Windows fileguard is poping up, saying it would now like to reinstall SP1. At the same time the new dll's are being deleted and just the .BAK are left over. So if I ignore all that I end up with no dll's at all and have to fix that manually using "command".

Any Idea?

Thanks

Download UxTheme.dll Error

Andy, I had a problem downloading your dll, Can you help me?

Warning: Failed opening '/users/waddy/www.xp-erience.org/comments.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php/lib/php') in Unknown on line 0

I'll upload the file to my site for you wolfang but it'll have to wait until I get home in about an hour.

Link on the first post is fixed

read about it here

http://www.ntfs.org/comments.php?id=327&catid=2

download it from here

http://www.ntfs.org/modules.php?modid=6&action=download&id=16

no charge

cool.gif

I'm having the same problem as you Frank, I tried two or three times to get this to work. I think I will give up for a while till I read something new that may solve this.:huh:

To Adek

Originally posted by adek
Please help me as i can not get this patcher to work. I have used a slide slip xp disk to sp1 and keep getting error messages withe eithe this or the one from tgtsoft.:mad:

Adek, don't feel intimidated by some of the replies concerning your post. I know exactly what you are talking about. I have also tried the tgisoft uxtheme patcher and got a error about patching because of a wrong version or something. The patch from tgisoft changes nothing if it can't patch, so you don't have to worry about uninstalling it as someone mistakenly described to do. I also then proceeded to try to use the Andy’s patch from ntfs.org and got booted to a desktop with no explorer shell, but worked my way out of it by replacing the uxtheme.dll file with one from my xp pro system in the other room.
I have also tried everything possible to get Andy’s patch to work for me, including reading every post on this site about this subject, well, almost. I saw a post with something about Plus! (Microsoft Plus!) I am assuming, and couldn't figure out if the guy was saying that he couldn't successfully run the patch because of having Plus! installed, or that he just had trouble getting Plus to uninstall as an example, but it sounded like after he reformatted then reinstalled without plus the patch would work. I'm not sure. I have plus installed and wonder if it is the reason my system wont patch. I don’t think I will reformat and do a fresh install of the OS without Plus! just to be able to install a patch to use themes like I'm used to. I have a bought and paid for version of style xp on my newer system with xp pro and love being able to use themes, my fav is chaninja. Guess I'll have to stick with the default Microsoft themes on my older system for now, unless a breakthrough becomes available, like someone extracting the uxtheme.dll file from Andy’s patcher so I can replace it my self!:p

Good find neonwizard. Hopefully all those having problems will now sort it out. :)

If you use this tutorial remember that it will only work if you have installed ServicePack 1 from a slipstreamed CD. Otherwise the backup copy used by system file protection won't be in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache but in C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386.

I have SP1 installed from the download site (not the CD) and have found 2 uxtheme.dll files on my computer - one in system32 and one in the ServicePackFiles/i386...
Will the patchxp.zip work for me???

it should, and it self installs, unless you have a oem version of XP, then you may run into problems

cool.gif

I think it's an OEM version...
OEM is part of the serial code. It's a new computer (2 weeks) with XP Home installed and I downloaded SP1....

then that patch won't work correctly unless andyp fixed it, not real sure right now, wait until somebody else responds before using it.

cool.gif

I've got oem home ed & all I did after installing from a slipstreamed cd of xp & sp1 was run the pacth. No hassles at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back