Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonaads said:
Stay out of it...
dry.gif
:p

He as in him (NetRyder) does not have too :p

But you as in the instigator should know better. Since you is you and not he nor me. :D

the new firefox theme looks like complete and utter arse what in the name of all things holy and all things not possessed the Firefox team to change to that!!

gonaads said:
But you as in the instigator should know better. Since you is you and not he nor me. :D
I dont know who I or me is anymore so me or I think you win

Geffy said:
the new firefox theme looks like complete and utter arse what in the name of all things holy and all things not possessed the Firefox team to change to that!!
Finally! A reason not to upgrade :p
No seriously, what do I miss using FF 0.8 (official release) and not using 0.9?

dunno, but I am hoping that the dns resolver/hang bug will be fixed for the release, it is the single most annoying problem with firefox at the moment, barring the 0.9 default skin ;)

Geffy said:

I agree. Hence the installable themes feature of Firefox. Pick one of the hundreds of other themes available. The old default theme (Qute) is still available as an installable theme too.

Glaanieboy said:
Finally! A reason not to upgrade :p
No seriously, what do I miss using FF 0.8 (official release) and not using 0.9?

Did you see the link I posted (a few posts up) some time ago? There are lots of new features/changes in 0.9. The Extension Manager is especially good. Don't let a silly theme issue prevent you from updating. As I said, you can easily install any theme that you like (including the old default theme, if that's what you prefer)

NetRyder: Whoops, did not see that, sorry.

@Geffy:
but I am hoping that the dns resolver/hang bug will be fixed for the release,
What do you mean by that?

Yeah, there is enough reason to upgrade. I really like many of the changes, such as the Extensions and Themes managers.

OK, I did the upgrade, but it didn't go as planned. First off all, it didn't import my old FF0.8 settings, instead it imported my IE settings. Bye bye bookmarks, cookies and history. I tried re-importing it (File -> Import), but FF0.8 wasn't one of the options.
Then I thought to be clever and I manually imported them, by replacing the new files in Documents and Settings/<user>/App.. Data/Mozilla with the contents of the /Phoenix folder. Lucky me they changed the dir name, otherwise all my files have been overwritten. They also changed the directory structure, so I had to do some moving around.
It turned out to be a bad idea, because now it loaded the theme I was using in 0.8, but that theme is not compatible with 0.9RC, so it was all messed up. I thought, let's give the new theme manager a go. But it was useless, because the theme didn't support the theme manager window (I think). I removed all .jar files leading to the theme(s) I had installed previously, but that didn't have any effect. In the end I had to manually edit the chrome.rdf file, removing all references to the old themes. It turned out to be the solution, because now everything was back to normal, including my history, cookies and bookmarks.

Now that I am using 0.9RC, I see it's much faster in startup and I also like the window that asks if I want to close FF when I have multiple tabs open.

Yikes, that was more work then it should have been Glaanieboy! I'm not sure why it didn't import your 0.8 settings, because it did for me without my even asking it to. Anyhow, I'm glad you worked through it though. Enjoy!

I had a similar prob at work with the computer (guinea pig test0r :p) there. Since we use Mozilla, IE and Firefox. When I installed it it imported IE and Mozilla Bookmarks but not the old Firefox ones. I had renamed my old Firefox Directory in order to do a clean install of 0.9RC1. I went into the Bookmark Manager and tried to import my old ones from the old Firefox, but it wouldn't do it correctly. So I had to open the old Firefox (0.8) and export them to my DeskTop and then import them into 0.9RC1 and then start editing a ton of bookmarks after that till I go everything back to the way it was. Even the "personal toolbar" bookmarks were all f00ked up. :(

It does open a bit faster and seems to use less mem but it's too soon to tell.

I'm stayin with 0.8 at home till they put out RC2 or 3. Then maybe install and play with it. For now I will tweak/play with 0.9RC1 at work... if it craps out I have 0.8 to fall back on. :)

So far so good (about 0.9RC1). I have not encountered any bugs that have interfered with my daily work. However, I would like to see a notice if a theme cannot be installed. Now, when I install a theme which is not compatible with 0.9RC1, I see the Theme Manager downloads it, but then it dissapears. After a couple of tries, I gave up. Anyone know where to get the 0.8 version of the default theme which is compatible with 0.9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back