Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, just took the big leap into FireFox as an alternative browser after a horrible experience with Opera a few years back. Anyways, to the point: I was wondering how I get multiple tabs to open when I open firefox?

Thanks, gracious etc.

dreamliner77 said:
Hey, just took the big leap into FireFox as an alternative browser after a horrible experience with Opera a few years back. Anyways, to the point: I was wondering how I get multiple tabs to open when I open firefox?

Thanks, gracious etc.
Do you mean multiple homepages, each of which open in separate tabs when you start an instance of the browser?
If that's what you want, just go to Tools>Options and in the Homepage Location field, enter all the sites you want to load, separated by "|"
Something like: http://www.google.com | http://www.ntfs.org | http://www.slackware.com

NetRyder said:
Do you mean multiple homepages, each of which open in separate tabs when you start an instance of the browser?
If that's what you want, just go to Tools>Options and in the Homepage Location field, enter all the sites you want to load, separated by "|"
Something like: http://www.google.com | http://www.ntfs.org | http://www.slackware.com

Thanks NetRyder, I figured it out. MMMM, nice, tabbed browsing....

Sweet... So there's pretty much no limit as to how many home pages you have.

i never realised it could be done :p saves me a lot of time :cool:

gonaads said:
Sweet... So there's pretty much no limit as to how many home pages you have.

punk.gif

Another question...

How do I set it so scroll button click opens a new tab?

Also, is there a way to make it so that when I hit the back button, it takes me to where I was on the previous page, no the top?

im using the tabbed browser prefrences extention so i could set it when i click a link it opens i new tab not a whole new firebird window. but now this is driving me nuts is that when i click the link it opens a new tab but doesnt switch over to the tab it stays at the page. does anyone know of a setting or another extention that has this option?

dreamliner77 said:
Another question...

How do I set it so scroll button click opens a new tab?

Also, is there a way to make it so that when I hit the back button, it takes me to where I was on the previous page, no the top?

Check your mouse settings. If clicking the scroll wheel is assigned as a "middle click" it should open the link in a new tab in Ffx.

sk8caliguy00 said:
im using the tabbed browser prefrences extention so i could set it when i click a link it opens i new tab not a whole new firebird window. but now this is driving me nuts is that when i click the link it opens a new tab but doesnt switch over to the tab it stays at the page. does anyone know of a setting or another extention that has this option?

If you are using the Tabbrowser Extensions then click on the "tab" button at the top of FireFox ( see first attachment) and then click on "tabbrowser extensions preferences" (at the bottom of the dropdown window).

Then in the left window pane (see second attachment) click on "tabbrowser extensions" at the top and then tick the "use expert preferences" button in the right side window pane (see same attachment).

Then click "context menu" in the left window pane (see thrird attachment) and then at the bottom of the right window pane tick the "open in new active tab" button. Then click O.K.

This is supposed to work for "links" and "bookmarks" so when you right click on a link or bookmark you can make it the active tab.

I think this should do it for you. Unless you wanted something that made it active with just a normal left click. I didn't find anything for that... yet.

Or you could try the "AutoFocus". First, use the same first two attachments to get the "expert preferences".

Then click on "Focus" in the left window pane and at the bottom of the right window pane tick the "AutoFocus" button (see attachment) and then adjust setting.

This option lets you set the focus on a tab by just pointing over them (the tab). You can set the sensitivity in msec. Play around with it 'till ya get it the way you want it.

im using tab browser prefrences not extentions but i guess i could get that. what i mean is like when i click those thumbnails u posted it opens in a new tab which is right, but it dosent switch to that tab when i click the thumbnail. the focus is still on the forum instead of what i just clicked it on. do u get what im saying?

there any extensions for autocomplete in the webaddress line

sk8caliguy00 said:
im using tab browser prefrences not extentions but i guess i could get that. what i mean is like when i click those thumbnails u posted it opens in a new tab which is right, but it dosent switch to that tab when i click the thumbnail. the focus is still on the forum instead of what i just clicked it on. do u get what im saying?

O.K. I figured out how to do it (I tried it and it works).

First open the tab dropdown menu as in that first attachment from my other post.

Second click the "advanced" option in the left area of the window and make sure that the option "new windows opened by link" is checked under the "open tabs instead of windows for" heading (see first attachment) and what ever else you want.

Next click the "focus" option in the left area of the window and at the top of the right side of the window make sure that under the heading "load new tab in the background when it is opened by" you have ticked "the location bar" or some other obscure option that you will not use or care about (see second attachment). The reason for this is because I don't know if it will work with everything unchecked in that list.

The reason I say everything unchecked is because now you will scroll up to the top of that same list and uncheck the "links, etc." option (see third attachment).

Now click OK and then when you click on a link it will open as a tab but it will be the top one or the one that has the focus. And any other link you click on.

I hope this makes sense. :)

My head hurts now... time to sleep. :p

I like it when it opens links in a non active tab :)

then leave the "links, etc." option ticked (third attachment).

I wasn't planning on changing anything :) I was just stating a preference :)

Tuffgong4 said:
there any extensions for autocomplete in the webaddress line

There isn't an actual extension, but there is an unofficial patch. Download the attached ZIP file, and extract it to get the "browser.js" file. Close your browser, and make a backup of the old "browser.js" file that's located in your "Mozilla Firefox\chrome" folder, and then replace it with the new file.

You also have to add the following line to your user.js file (located in the profile folder):
user_pref("browser.urlbar.autoFill", true);

NOTE: This patch works with the official 0.8 release.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Firefox/0.8

Attachments

• browser.zip
    179.1 KB · Views: 45
Khayman said:
I wasn't planning on changing anything :) I was just stating a preference :)

Uuuuh... Oh... O.K. :)

Man, do I feel dumb. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back