• I hope so, but not sure yet

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Wait to see how it functions in the "real world", then decide

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
Re: Iphone??? should i get it?

Wait and see what happens with the European release. Lack of 3G support in the USA version has been an issue and speculation is that the Euro version will flop if it does not support 3G.

Must have been an great issue with all the people that went out and bought one. I do hope they add 3G support, but technically EDGE is a 3G technology. The thing is, the chips for 3G have to use more power which means less battery life.

Must have been an great issue with all the people that went out and bought one. I do hope they add 3G support, but technically EDGE is a 3G technology. The thing is, the chips for 3G have to use more power which means less battery life.
well, why would apple not put 3g in.
its is beyond me, who cares about a little less battery life.
I want my phone to be current generation!!

well, why would apple not put 3g in.
its is beyond me, who cares about a little less battery life.
I want my phone to be current generation!!

And to think they upped the battery life a few weeks before they released it. Imagine what crappy battery life it would have had with the original design, and no 3g.

For $2400 and a 2 year commitment you should expect current generation AND long battery life.

This is not a $19.95 Tracfone with 30 day pay as you go plan.

And the 1 million expected buyers turned out to be about 700k. Not shabby uptake, but 30% below expectations is significant.

PS for those slow on math. That's a 180 Million revenue shortfall for Apple and over a half BILLION shortfall for AT&T.

For $2400 and a 2 year commitment you should expect current generation AND long battery life.

This is not a $19.95 Tracfone with 30 day pay as you go plan.

And the 1 million expected buyers turned out to be about 700k. Not shabby uptake, but 30% below expectations is significant.

PS for those slow on math. That's a 180 Million revenue shortfall for Apple and over a half BILLION shortfall for AT&T.

Hmm... last I checked sales exceeded expectations, and I never read anything stating Apple expected 1M sold in a week. Still, 700K is really shabby. :rolleyes:

One of many sources

Hmm... last I checked sales exceeded expectations, and I never read anything stating Apple expected 1M sold in a week. Still, 700K is really shabby. :rolleyes:

One of many sources
But the 700k will most likely be the majority of the people getting the phone.
Its a cult thing.
Anybody who is anybody in the mac world will get the phone asap.
Kinda like what happened with the ps3.

But the 700k will most likely be the majority of the people getting the phone.
Its a cult thing.
Anybody who is anybody in the mac world will get the phone asap.
Kinda like what happened with the ps3.

Really? I'm 100% Mac these days and I'm not getting an iPhone until at least the 2nd gen.

Cult thing? Kind of like the iPod, huh? :p

Really? I'm 100% Mac these days and I'm not getting an iPhone until at least the 2nd gen.

Cult thing? Kind of like the iPod, huh? :p
Yes, exactly like the Ipod.
Except that is more of a fad.
I also said the majority of the sales.
Not every single sale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, exactly like the Ipod.
Except that is more of a fad.
I also said the majority of the sales.
Not every single sale.

It's cool that you can have that much analysis after 1 week of sales.

Cult thing? No... I have an iPod, well I actually have 2 (30gig color and a 4gig mini). I just like the way they work. Plus the price was too good to pass up. My three Daughters have iPods and they as me don't even use a Mac. Nothin but Windows PCs. They like the way they work and the ease of carrying their music. I have a ton of Sony products including a PS2 and PSP. I just like that they work very well. Hell I still have my Watchman. I take it to Football/Baseball games. That thing is in great condition and function. Not a cult thing by any stretch.

Cult thing would be like if the iPhone was a total POS and Apple/Mac consumers still bought it and praised the crap out of it. From all the reviews about the iPhone it's not bad. You have to remember that this is a company that makes computers and software. This is their first phone. Kinda like when MicroSquish made their XBox. It was their first gaming console. It had bugs and things also.

Cult thing... I bet if your phone service provider put out a new fancy shmancy phone with an interface and features like the iPhone made by whoever or your current or favorite phone manufacturer you would want to upgrade, if you could afford it.

Last edited:
Wow, 700K sales is shabby? In the first week? Can you give me figures for any other PHONE out there that sold that many in their first week? Apple never had any expectations to sell a million units, so that is no revenue lost, to them it is all gains.

And a cult thing? I own an MacBook Pro (after having owned an iBook for 4 years prior), and I still have my original iPod Mini, and I sure as hell want an iPhone, but I am waiting till 2nd gen. It is definitely not a cult thing. The device is extremely well designed, and works as expected, and even better. Even people that swear up and down to never buy Apple products want an iPhone just because it works so well.

Wikipedia said:
Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (EDGE) or Enhanced GPRS (EGPRS), is a digital mobile phone technology that allows it to increase data transmission rate and improve data transmission reliability. Althought technically a 3G network technology it is generally classified as the unofficial standard 2.75G, due to its slower network speed. EDGE has been introduced into GSM networks around the world since 2003, initially in North America.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

Emphasis added was mine.

The iPhone's battery life is only possible by the chips that Apple carefully picked out, and put to work together to conserve as much energy as possible. Analysts that have looked at the inner workings of the iPhone have said that with a 3G chip, it would have cut all those times in half or even more, just because they are that reckless with the power consumption.

If it were not for the fact that I can't afford to currently drop $600, I would be seriously considering getting an iPhone, just for the shear fact that I would enjoy hacking it's firmware, like so many in the community are doing. I would end up waiting for the 2nd gen to come out, or at least until a new software update is available to fix the crashes that people have been seeing with Mail on their iPhones.

Wow, 700K sales is shabby? In the first week? Can you give me figures for any other PHONE out there that sold that many in their first week? Apple never had any expectations to sell a million units, so that is no revenue lost, to them it is all gains.

And a cult thing? I own an MacBook Pro (after having owned an iBook for 4 years prior), and I still have my original iPod Mini, and I sure as hell want an iPhone, but I am waiting till 2nd gen. It is definitely not a cult thing. The device is extremely well designed, and works as expected, and even better. Even people that swear up and down to never buy Apple products want an iPhone just because it works so well.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

Emphasis added was mine.

The iPhone's battery life is only possible by the chips that Apple carefully picked out, and put to work together to conserve as much energy as possible. Analysts that have looked at the inner workings of the iPhone have said that with a 3G chip, it would have cut all those times in half or even more, just because they are that reckless with the power consumption.

If it were not for the fact that I can't afford to currently drop $600, I would be seriously considering getting an iPhone, just for the shear fact that I would enjoy hacking it's firmware, like so many in the community are doing. I would end up waiting for the 2nd gen to come out, or at least until a new software update is available to fix the crashes that people have been seeing with Mail on their iPhones.
Well of course all of you mac fans would say its not a cult thing, i still think it is.
People complain about spending 600 on the ps3, versus paying total 2400 for the iphone...
I didnt like the Iphone itself, the UI was good, but i think the amazingness would wear off fairly quickly.

Like i said, the Ipod isn't a cult thing as much as it is a fad.
It became a sort of status symbol for people with no technical sense at all.
Aside from the fact that everybody has the Ipod, what reason is there to buy it over a Zen Vision M, or dare I say, the zune.
There really is not, it and the Vision M are extremely similar, and i guess if you compare the zune and the ipod you could consider the zune's massive depth :)

As for the Iphone vs. a smartphone...
I'd much rather buy a phone like the 8525 for 350 new on ebay, get the free flash to WM6, and have one sick phone.
Hell, if i really wanted to, i could get the Toshiba G900 Genius Phone, I mean, for the same price or lower of the Iphone you get a fingerprint reader, 2 camera, 3g, and an 800X400 resolution 3 inch screen....
oh yeah, it has a slideout keyboard and touchscreen as well, and WM6.

I would definitely make the argument that the g900 is the best phone available (Not sure if it is in the US yet), and for a price of 600-700 with NO contract....

I wonder how many iPhones were purchased with the intent of "will it blend", "will it flush" (my idea), "will it bounce", "will it blow up", "will it...."

Well of course all of you mac fans would say its not a cult thing, i still think it is.

Didn't gonaads just make a thorough post about how he and his family are NOT Mac users and that it's NOT a cult thing?

It's too soon to make any of the statements that you're making, but go ahead and make them. Months from now you could very well be proven completely wrong, but even then you probably won't admit it, you'll try to twist around what you've said to make it fit your idea of how things are. It's nothing new, stay firm in your stubborn views and allow your words to come back and bite you later on.

The battery replacement for $85 seems like a good ripoff... so too the $25 to loan an ipone while yours is in repair... oh.. last but not least, for the those that likes to be ripped off by Apple... how bout a battery life of 300 charges before you need to replace it?! :D

300 charges is about 1 year on regular usage sooo... the replacement timeframe sounds right.

Oh, and gonaads is to an Apple fan.

His boxers are covered with Apple logo's :eek:

Didn't gonaads just make a thorough post about how he and his family are NOT Mac users and that it's NOT a cult thing?

It's too soon to make any of the statements that you're making, but go ahead and make them. Months from now you could very well be proven completely wrong, but even then you probably won't admit it, you'll try to twist around what you've said to make it fit your idea of how things are. It's nothing new, stay firm in your stubborn views and allow your words to come back and bite you later on.
I wasn't talking directly to Gonaads..
Unless Gonaads is a lot of people...

Think I'll be waiting for one of two things

1) Energy Efficient 3G chips (I actually chose an EDGE WM5 device over a 3G one because of the battery life)
2) MS to license ActiveSync so that Windows Mobile devices don't suck balls when attached to anything other than another Windows device.

both would be nice as the range of software for WMx is great (but quality very ranging) but I somehow think the second option is as likely as satan being caught in the face by a rogue snow ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back