The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

So you're running SBS 2003? I thought about setting it up but I've read that it's more locked down than regular Server 2003.

(I've never done an actual SBS install, only Server and then Exchange)

I'm going to be using Enterprise Edition myself, mostly because that's what I have licensing for.

Not sure what version I will be getting with the Action Pack whenever that arrives?

Action Pack includes SBS 2003 Premium Edition, Server 2003 Standard Edition, and Exchange 2003 Standard Edition (as well as several others).

Since Action Pack is aimed towards those who cater to small-medium businesses they do not include Server 2003 Enterprise Edition or Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition.

https://partner.microsoft.com/40013779

Hadn't looked as to what was included yet, just know I didn't get the premium package or whatever it was.

I'll have to bone up on Exchange a bit, make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before installing. Coolest thing I am looking forward to is OWA :)

The $400.00 package includes access to Microsoft's planning site. A waste of $100.00 unless you are actually going to use it. Both packages include the same software and same licensing.

OWA with custom form auth. Yum.

kcnychief said:
What program are you using that actually does scheduled disk IMAGING? That would be the best way to go, assuming the files are in use.
I use Acronis True Image. And yes, it creates images even if files are locked. You can also setup incremental backups to save time and space.

madmatt said:
So you're running SBS 2003? I thought about setting it up but I've read that it's more locked down than regular Server 2003.

(I've never done an actual SBS install, only Server and then Exchange)
I initially considered setting up WS2003+Exchange separately, but realized that SBS 2003 was exactly what I needed for a personal setup like this. It's really a great product because it integrates everything you need into a single package (including Sharepoint). I don't think you'll find it restrictive for a personal setup. It comes with 5 CALs built-in. I believe WS2003 includes more, but the question is, do you really need them? :)

Another question, my two primary e-mails are my website e-mail address, and my gmail address.

Would I be correct in assuming I won't be able to "send as" my gmail address? By that I mean from my phone and from OWA. I assume I would essentially have to forward my gmail to my domain address, and then reply from that address to all recipients.

That is another issue, I don't want to have to mix the two, but it doesn't make sense to only convert half of my email either.

EDIT: I'll have to look into Acronis - I have used Ghost forever but it's limitations in the corporate version are becoming a hassle :eek:

EDIT 2 : Would I also be correct in assuming you image from one drive to the other to store the images, or do you go to an external drive?

If you're using Outlook, you can reply using your Gmail address by just setting it up as another account and never using it for anything other than SMTP. That's what I do for my UCLA mail account.

But you're right. I don't think there's really a way to do that if you're using OWA or a WM5 phone since they handle a single account.

The images get stored on a third internal drive. :D

That is how I have Outlook setup, so that I can reply from either e-mail address regardless of who it is sent to.

GMAIL is actually the same way, I can reply from either one there as well, which is nice. Lately, however, the need for my contacts/calendar and e-mail wherever I am has become mission critical.

But, mostly because it's cool :p

Even the way Gmail does it is not completely transparent. I was using that as a sort of hack before I got all this Exchange stuff going.

If you send a message through Gmail using another account, it shows up at the recepient's end. In Outlook, for example, you'll see the "From" part saying "xyz@gmail.com On Behalf Of abc@domain.com" :)

My new toy came in today and it is simply awesome. WM 5.0 is much better than any previous version. My mail works perfectly using my own mail servers.

A couple questions though.

ActiveSync shows my device as "WM_matt". How do I change the name of my device?

No green theme. I don't know why Microsoft shows it with a green theme and icons up top when in fact it's not on the phone. I have the "Windows Default" and some red theme. I can't figure out how to get the icons at the top of the screen.

Any help is appreciated.

madmatt said:
My new toy came in today and it is simply awesome. WM 5.0 is much better than any previous version. My mail works perfectly using my own mail servers.

No green theme. I don't know why Microsoft shows it with a green theme and icons up top when in fact it's not on the phone. I have the "Windows Default" and some red theme. I can't figure out how to get the icons at the top of the screen.

Any help is appreciated.
don't know the details of changing your name but on my thread I do tell how to make sure active sinc doesn't run untill you want it to

(it's impossible to keep it turned off unless you follow my directions)

I think naming the server is in those instructions

madmatt said:

Any help is appreciated.
To change the name of the device, go to Start>Settings. Click the System tab at the bottom. Then click About and select the Device ID tab. Enter the new name in the Device Name field.

I'll get back to you on the green theme soon. As for the icons on top, I think that might be a feature of a third-party app, because I haven't found a way to enable it either.

NR, that did the trick. Thank you.

Perris, I've read over your guide and plan on implementing much of it once I have the time. Great guide. Thank you.

Matt, I did a quick search and found the download link for the green theme that I'm using:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/themes.mspx

It's not quite the same as the one in the picture you posted, but that's a stock image, so I don't know if that theme actually even exists.

One problem is that unlike the default blue theme, the background in this one doesn't fill up the whole Today screen if you switch to landscape mode. =\

perris said:
sorry to add politics but this is on topic as well

you might have seen in the news lately a few phone companies are invading your life and illegally gave away everyone's phone records (contrary to the claims made, we find out this includes the personal records and emails of Americans with no ties to any questionable activity) without a warrant, some of these companies understood the personal implications and their obligation, the data released including sensitive bussiness correspondance as well as personal information and refused the illegal request

no further request came to those companies that rufused to break the law and preferred to protect their customers and our country

I know T-Mobile, Sprint, Nextel and quest are not among the companies that gave away sensitive and personal and information we need protected without a warrant

if you are not locked into a contract, please do not give any bussiness to the companies that gave away our information without a warrant

if you are with any of the companies that violated your data and life, this includes at&t and others, see if your are bound by any contractual obligations

if not, please switch companies and make your statement where it counts, in the pocketbook of those corporations.

sorry to add such a dire note to this thread. we live in troublesome times

Perris - there is a little ditty over on Eweek about Verizon's involvement. It is by no means informative, but there should be more to come when details emerge...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1961751,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

kcnychief said:
Perris - there is a little ditty over on Eweek about Verizon's involvement. It is by no means informative, but there should be more to come when details emerge...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1961751,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594
from your link chief;
"Verizon does not, and will not, provide any government agency unfettered access to our customer records or provide information to the government under circumstances that would allow a fishing expedition," the company said in a statement.

they disclaim their statement by using the term "unfettered"...it's not possible for a company to award "unfettered access" and what they have said here is nothing at all

from what I've researched they were definately among the companies that breached our trust, broke the law, violated the constitution and put our future at peril

other companies recogniszed their obligation to us and our country and refused the request

sorry chief

let's get back on topic, my bad for bringing it up in the first place

these posts can stand but let's keep this thread on topic, no more politics here, if you'd like to start this discussion in hard talk I will be happy to participate

Last edited:

ok this is the imate-kjam and let me tell you one thing make sure ur battery never runs out because if it does, you lose everything, i never liked imates

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back