The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

As you said, it's not important, but strange.

I had to email Acura to make sure the 8125 is compatible with HandsFreeLink. I imagine it is but I don't want to lose the functionality of my in car Bluetooth support.

NetRyder said:
I use it daily, and I've only had it freeze up on me once so far in the last few weeks.
Many apps remain memory-resident even after you close them (this is by design, to speed up subsequent loads), so if you notice slowdowns, you can close all of them down with a couple of clicks. I believe there's also a free third-party utility that removes apps from memory by default when you close them, if you prefer that.

there are a few programs that do that, I posted the one I use on my thread

in addition, some temporary files do not purge and the memory wil get bogged down, I posted some fixes for those issues and a program that finds the temp files and can eliminate them every time you boot

one thing you have to do is lower the default history cache in internet explorer to about three days,

these are must do tweaks, otherwise the macine WILL slow down, but have a look at the thread, most things to do are in there

NetRyder said:
I use it daily, and I've only had it freeze up on me once so far in the last few weeks.
Many apps remain memory-resident even after you close them (this is by design, to speed up subsequent loads), so if you notice slowdowns, you can close all of them down with a couple of clicks. I believe there's also a free third-party utility that removes apps from memory by default when you close them, if you prefer that.

there are a few programs that do that, I posted the one I use on my smart phone tweaks thread along with other must have programs like a regedit, all free

in addition, some temporary files do not purge and the memory wil get bogged down, I posted some fixes for those issues and a program that finds the temp files and can eliminate them every time you boot

one thing you have to do is lower the default history cache in internet explorer to about three days,

these are must do tweaks, otherwise the macine WILL slow down, but have a look at the thread, most things to do are in there

I suggest the first thing to do is set it up to use as a wireless modem for your laptop and you should be able to get speeds a few hundred kps, my sprint plan gets me 800 kps wherever I have a phone signal...you can usb to your laptop or blue tooth and I give both methods

perris, as usual you are a wealth of knowledge and I am certainly appreciative for it. If you don't mind, I'd like to bother you if I have questions following my purchase.

You are the man. *gives cookie*

/needs cookie but am going to bed, I have to wake up 5 oclock in the morning for one of the most profitable days at the office since I started this job...get me manana

but if you get this phone, you pretty much should look forward to getting a one gig or two gig storage card...it's a mini and cery cute

bed, g'niight all

Very nice, perris. I'll definitely check out that thread this weekend once I'm done with all this work. :)

Familiar, i was ready to get a version of this phone, but the whole 450 dollar thing i wasn't too keen on...
Great phone though

MaxiumumPC (current issue) says a SmartPhone is still better but the PocketPC/Phone is gaining ground. Their biggest gripe is how you have to dial the phone on the PocketPC (which makes sense).

Friend has that phone, sweet phone I want one!

I have the green theme, as well as an orange and yellow one. I don't quite remember where I got it from though.
Let me know when you get the phone. If I can't find the site, I'll send them to you. :)

madmatt said:
MaxiumumPC (current issue) says a SmartPhone is still better but the PocketPC/Phone is gaining ground. Their biggest gripe is how you have to dial the phone on the PocketPC (which makes sense).
There's an awesome solution to that - Microsoft Voice Command.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/default.mspx

I got a copy a couple of days after I got the phone, and it works really well. I almost never use the phone's on-screen keypad anymore. Unlike most other phones, you don't have to manually set voice tags for all your contacts. It does true voice recognition and checks against all your contacts.

You can also use it to tell the phone to play a particular song, launch any application, read out your list of appointments, etc. Totally worth it, in my opinion. :)

Thanks for the tip. The phone is on order, should have it on Saturday.

I know you said you setup Exchange (which I plan on doing in the future). Did you setup a POP3 account as well? I am wondering if you have to use T-Mobile's SMTP server for outgoing? I setup a POP3 on my customer's phone and used RR's outgoing mail server and it wouldn't work. I called Verizon and they told me I had to use their outgoing mail server. That doesn't make sense to me.

Where did you get the screen protectors and the software mentioned above?

Sweet. Congrats! :)

I only have my Exchange account setup on the phone, since mail from my other accounts also gets forwarded to the Exchange server. I haven't setup any POP3 accounts, so I don't have a definitive answer to your question.

I got a pack of Palm screen protectors at the local Fry's. Since the MDA had just launched when I bought it, they didn't have any protectors for it specifically. The Palm ones are larger obviously, so I just cut them to size with an x-acto knife. They fit perfectly now, and they're very durable.

You can get a copy of Voice Command from the Handango online store:
http://microsoft.handango.com/Platf...30&productType=2&platformId=2&productId=90635

I'm close to getting one of these as well, but it's going to need to happen over a few weeks.

I joined the Microsoft Action pack a few days ago. I want to get a copy of Exchange, and I needed a few other tidbits, and it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile. I'm in the market right now for a new server, and once both of those are in, I'll setup exchange and configure the phone :)

I'm going to Verizon over the next few days to hold one, see how I like it.

You won't come back without one. :D

Also, you don't need something fancy for a personal Exchange server. My box is a seven year old Pentium III 550MHz with 512MB of RAM (but plenty of storage space). So if you have any old boxes lying around, you don't need to burn any more cash on a new one just to run WS2003+Exchange.

I'm working on setting up SBS 2003. I want OWA too. Problem is that my IP changes every so often. Running it on a P4 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB 7200RPM HDD.

NetRyder said:
You won't come back without one. :D

Also, you don't need something fancy for a personal Exchange server. My box is a seven year old Pentium III 550MHz with 512MB of RAM (but plenty of storage space). So if you have any old boxes lying around, you don't need to burn any more cash on a new one just to run WS2003+Exchange.

I am aware of that, however I also want it to be a DC, File Server and possibly run IIS. Still debating what path I want to go with those, and if I want all those functions on one machine :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back