The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

opps thought it was still on its first page ohwell!

Kush said:
ok this is the imate-kjam and let me tell you one thing make sure ur battery never runs out because if it does, you lose everything, i never liked imates
I have the phone and not only does my information remain after the battery fails, it also remains when the battery is removed...it's flash

Last edited:

Kush said:
ok this is the imate-kjam and let me tell you one thing make sure ur battery never runs out because if it does, you lose everything, i never liked imates
That's not true. Windows Mobile 5.0 doesn't store data in non-volatile memory anymore.
It used to be the case with WM2003, but not anymore.

ahh ok cool that was dumb though

NetRyder said:
Matt, I did a quick search and found the download link for the green theme that I'm using:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/themes.mspx

It's not quite the same as the one in the picture you posted, but that's a stock image, so I don't know if that theme actually even exists.

One problem is that unlike the default blue theme, the background in this one doesn't fill up the whole Today screen if you switch to landscape mode. =\

I found that one. As you pointed out, it's not the same. I'm starting to think that it doesn't exist.

New question: When I have my phone hooked up to my computer the screen never dims/shuts off. If I manually power it off it disconnects from the computer. Anyway to fix that?

Also, Perris. You posted a registry hack to prevent ActiveSync from popping up so you can only sync it when you desire. Since I like to keep it synced right along I wanted to figure out a way to prevent AS from popping up when you plug in. With 4.1 and newer (4.2 is in beta) there is an option in connection settings (File, Connection Settings). Uncheck "Open ActiveSync when my device connects".

madmatt said:
New question: When I have my phone hooked up to my computer the screen never dims/shuts off. If I manually power it off it disconnects from the computer. Anyway to fix that?

Also, Perris. You posted a registry hack to prevent ActiveSync from popping up so you can only sync it when you desire. Since I like to keep it synced right along I wanted to figure out a way to prevent AS from popping up when you plug in. With 4.1 and newer (4.2 is in beta) there is an option in connection settings (File, Connection Settings). Uncheck "Open ActiveSync when my device connects".
don't know, I stopped playing around with it...active sync is a little presumptuous as far as I am concerned..you can't even shut it down from the tray (there is a free program somewhere that does it, but I forgot the name of it)

Last edited:

I absolutely love this phone. It is simply amazing. Cingular is supposed to be nearing a release date for an official ROM update.

Perris/NR, what version of ROM are you running?

I still can't figure out how to make the screen dim/turn off when hooked up. I searched two other forums that specialize in such devices.

NR, any ideas?

Derek, the sales person at Cingular advised me that she heard bad things about the 700w. According to her it looks nice but doesn't work as well as it should.

It's just a thought, the Treo is MUCH more expensive as well. I am currently looking into pros/cons comparing both models.

NR/Madmatt - can you guys post some in-useage pictures perhaps?

Take into consideration that this is Palm's first attempt at working with a non-Palm OS. She said they loaded a lot of their own software on it.

I will post pictures soon. I am still in the process of getting things right. I purchased the Voice Command software and it works great. A must have.

madmatt said:
I purchased the Voice Command software and it works great. A must have.
Good call. I find it indispensable as well.

madmatt said:
I absolutely love this phone. It is simply amazing. Cingular is supposed to be nearing a release date for an official ROM update.

Perris/NR, what version of ROM are you running?
My MDA came with the 1.8.10.2 ROM. I'm waiting for the official T-Mobile ROM upgrade with Direct Push.

I still can't figure out how to make the screen dim/turn off when hooked up. I searched two other forums that specialize in such devices.

NR, any ideas?
Start>Settings.
Click the System tab.
Select Backlight, then the External Power tab.
Check the "Turn off backlight if device is not used for..." box and select a timeout period.

I think that should do it.

NR, I tried that. It only works when the device is on A/C power not when it's hooked up to my PC. I would like to leave it hooked up when I am at my office/home office but it doesn't have a screensaver.

Do your Calendar and Contacts update via Exchange as well? As in if you add a new contact, or revise a current one, or do the same for a calendar event - or do you need to "sync" when you are closer to your PC?

Yes, Exchange synchronization works for email, calendar, tasks and contacts.

So, *dumb question*, do you even need Activesync then?

NetRyder said:
Start>Settings.
Click the System tab.
Select Backlight, then the External Power tab.
Check the "Turn off backlight if device is not used for..." box and select a timeout period.

I think that should do it.

Never mind, you were right. I was thinking of something else. Thank you again.

Now, how do I clear the most recently used applications that show up in the start menu?

NICE blog post on the Voice Recognition Software Kunal, makes me really want this puppy :D

kcnychief said:
So, *dumb question*, do you even need Activesync then?
You might. I never use it to sync data anymore, but it's sometimes necessary to install third-party apps.
madmatt said:
Never mind, you were right. I was thinking of something else. Thank you again.

Now, how do I clear the most recently used applications that show up in the start menu?
Yeah, I was wondering why it wasn't working for you since it's been working for me. I thought it might be a difference between the MDA and the 8125. Glad it works though.

I'll try to find out the answer to your other question and get back to you if I figure it out.
kcnychief said:
NICE blog post on the Voice Recognition Software Kunal, makes me really want this puppy :D
Let's just say you won't be disappointed. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back