The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

I hate you people who get Maximum PC's before me!!!

Ever since I moved to this place in October I always get my issues like a week late. I think I'm going to yell at my mailman today :mad:

madmatt said:
MaximumPC has a good "head to head" this week on PDA phones and SmartPhones. The two phones they use are from the Cingular product line.

Good read.
no link I guess?

It's a print publication, unlike PCWorld they don't post most of their stuff online. Only how-to's, FAQ's, etc.

MPC hasn't updated their site in a few months, which doesn't suprise me. I'll scan it in and post it later.

Electronic Punk said:
Yeah but these guys were doing it all remotely and in Tom's case, a different country, very impressive.
Yup, it works really well with Exchange. I'm hoping T-Mobile releases the new ROM soon, which adds support for MSFP (i.e. Direct Push). With that, you don't even need to set up a schedule or check manually - as soon as the Exchange server receives an email, it "pushes" it out to the phone, no matter where you are, as long as you can get a data connection. :)

madmatt said:
More photos please.
I don't have a digital camera here, and I can't use the phone's cam to take pictures of the phone itself. :D
So maybe this weekend when I go back home...

perris said:
great phone, I have the sprint version (6700) and it's the best phone I even had

check out the smart phone tweaks thread, you'll get a kick out of it, I even post a free regedit for it

I hope you have some tweaks to add yourself
Haha, we think alike. The first app I installed on it was a registry editor. How can you not love seeing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE etc. on a cellphone? :D
I have a few tweaks that I used. I'll post them sometime soon if they're not already in that thread.

kcnychief said:
How is the phone (talking) quality on it?
Sound quality is pretty much like any other good phone. No complaints.

Grandmaster said:
How large is it? We need a photo of it in your Palm to get an idea :p The features are killer though.
See reply above. I'll try to get some pics this weekend, including one of it in my palm. :D The slide-out keyboard adds a bit of thickness to it, but length and width-wise, it's exactly the size I like.

DwarfData said:
I managed to get one of these from T-Mobile (UK) for only £40.
You guys really get these things at some amazing prices! :eek:

Do you keep it in your pocket, in a bag, do you have a case for it?

kcnychief said:
Do you keep it in your pocket, in a bag, do you have a case for it?
I put a screen protector on it right after I took it out of the box.
Now it goes right into my pocket, because the screen is really the only thing you need to worry about.

It did come with a rather nice belt-clip case, but I'm not too fond of those in general, so I don't really carry it in that. If I'm putting it in my bag for some reason though, I just put it in the belt-clip case since that covers it up nicely.

Damn you for making me want to spend all this money, damn you :mad: :p

Well I know Tom had a newer ROM than he should have :)

Kunal - with your current ROM all you need to do is schedule a "send/receive" just like in Outlook, right?

Electronic Punk said:
Well I know Tom had a newer ROM than he should have :)
I have the latest version of the ROM, but it's an unsupported upgrade, so if something goes wrong and I kill the phone during the upgrade, T-Mobile won't deal with it. I'm tempted to do it anyway, but I'm not too keen on turning this into a brick and paying full price for a new one again. :D

kcnychief said:
Kunal - with your current ROM all you need to do is schedule a "send/receive" just like in Outlook, right?
Yes. In addition, ActiveSync on WM5 allows you to set up separate schedules for peak hours and after-hours, so you don't have to check very often at nights when nobody's really sending you any mail. :)

Just posting so I can find it again easily :p

should be getting a new Orange SPV M600 through the post in the next couple of days :D

Good think Mark/space have a beta version which supports wm5 :D

Is there any strain, or disadvantage to not checking e-mail during "off peak" times, or were you just pointing out a feature?

In the market now for a low-end box to run Exchange, then perhaps I'll pursue this further as it would be nice to have :)

How much is your data transfer addition to your plan?

NR, how does your device work? I am thinking about picking up the Cingular model (looks very similar and made by the same company... HTC).

I think Verizon has the better looking of the three (all black version).

I had a chance to use the Verizon model today and it seemed a bit sluggish at times. Especially when I wanted to add a POP3 account (it wouldn't let me into the accounts so I had to reboot the thing).

The Cingular model is the lightest of the bunch, 5.3oz. vs. 5.6oz. for the T-Mobile version (6.5oz. for the Verizon).

I think the button layout on the Cingular model blows. At least the buttons on the T-Mobile and Verizon model make sense.

What's your take NR?

I use it daily, and I've only had it freeze up on me once so far in the last few weeks.

The Cingular 8125 is identical to the T-Mobile MDA, apart from the outer design (I, too, prefer the MDA's design/layout). They're both rebranded HTC Wizards with the same specs. The Verizon and Sprint models are rebranded HTC Apache's and they use Intel XScale processors, rather than the TI OMAP ones in the Wizard.

These things are fast enough for most purposes. I've even played full-screen streaming video on mine over WiFi. Maybe the Verizon test model you tried had too many apps loaded into memory. Many apps remain memory-resident even after you close them (this is by design, to speed up subsequent loads), so if you notice slowdowns, you can close all of them down with a couple of clicks. I believe there's also a free third-party utility that removes apps from memory by default when you close them, if you prefer that.

All things considered, I would certainly recommend it based on my experience with it so far. I've never seen a more versatile phone (well, apart from the big brother, the HTC Universal, but that's a real brick). :)

The model I used today actually belonged to a customer. It was real nice (hard to believe the Cingular model is smaller but with a bigger resolution).

She just got it and didn't have any applications loaded. For some reason the Outlook Accounts wouldn't open up. After rebooting it the thing worked fine.

Isn't Intel XScale processor better? Or is the TI OMAP?

Anything I should know before purchasing the Cingular model?

The XScale in the Apache runs at ~400MHz, and the TI OMAP850 in the Wizard at ~200MHz. But, the OMAP850 has two cores, so the load is balanced between the two, and you also get better battery life from a smaller battery.

As I said, I don't think you'll feel the need for more speed with the OMAP850. It's very fluid, and handles most things that the device is built for.

I've been meaning to post more tips and app recommendations, but I have midterms this week, and two projects due by Friday, so I'll get back to it over the weekend probably.

Good point. I'm almost sold.

I can't believe the Cingular model doesn't come with a dock. All PocketPCs and SmartPhones come with docks!

The T-Mobile MDA doesn't include a dock either.
I've seen a third-party one that looks sweet, but I haven't found the need for it yet. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back