The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread
Since a number of us have obtained one of these devices since the start of this thread we have decided to make this the official discussion thread. Please post any questions, tweaks, and tips in this thread. If you need help troubleshooting an issue you can start here. This thread has a lot of valuable information. Read carefully.

Windows Mobile 5.0 Experts: kcnychief, madmatt, NetRyder, perris

Edited: 06/26/2006

NetRyder's New Toy
I just picked up the new T-Mobile MDA, running WM5, recently. My last phone was a Symbian Series60-based Nokia smartphone, and when the time came to upgrade, I was looking for either another Symbian device or a WM5 smartphone.

Then T-Mo launched the MDA here in the U.S., and I fell in love. :D

Here's a quick mini-review of sorts, copied from my blog.
Towards the end of my post about Exchange last week, I mentioned that there was one other thing that made the whole setup all the more sweet. I was talking about my new T-Mobile MDA, a PocketPC phone. :)

The MDA (also known as the MDA Vario, HTC Wizard, i-Mate K-Jam, Qtek 9100, or Cingular 8125) runs the new Windows Mobile 5.0 OS, and features a 200MHz TI OMAP850 processor, 64MB of RAM and a 128MB ROM, with a MiniSD flash memory expansion slot. Being a PocketPC, input is primarily stylus-based, but there's also a nicely hidden, full QWERTY keyboard that slides out from the side. And at the back, is a 1.3MP camera with a tiny little flash.

Now, since the phone runs WM5, the Exchange Server integration is nothing short of amazing. Contacts, tasks, calendar events and emails sync over-the-air with ActiveSync using WiFi (yes, it has a 802.11b/g radio) or the carrier's data plan. I actually find myself reading and responding to emails between classes because it all just works so damn well. And the handwriting recognition is great, so I almost never have to slide the keyboard out either.

The 2.8" 240x320 QVGA display is bright, vivid and crisp, and automatically switches to landscape mode when you slide out the keyboard or turn on the camera. The form-factor is surprisingly compact for such a powerful device. Granted, it's not RAZR-thin, but it's small enough to fit in my palm when the keyboard is tucked away.

There are just so many cool things about this device that one post simply doesn't do it justice. I've been scouring the web, looking for interesting third-party apps built for the Windows Mobile platform. After all, it's the apps that truly set smartphones and PocketPCs apart from regular cellphones. I'll share my thoughts on some of the best ones I've found in future posts.

mda7hl.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

Nice, would love to consider one of these myself, but I feel I would be missing out on most of the features as I don't have an exchange server - those having seen neobond's, creamhackered and bink's phones seem to be a big feature.

I like my sexy looking dumb 8800 :D

That's true, in some sense. It really shines when combined with an Exchange server, but even without one, it's also possible to sync it with Outlook on your machine via ActiveSync.

Plus, there's a lot of other really neat and useful stuff it can do, including true voice recognition if you install Microsoft VoiceCommand, streaming your music and videos wherever you go if you install Orb on your desktop, etc. :D

Yeah but these guys were doing it all remotely and in Tom's case, a different country, very impressive.

I want one. BUT i don't want to pay money for it since i'd never use it for anything other than being a phone because a) i never have email that important, b) i sit at a computer all day anyway.

so in short, give me one :p

great phone, I have the sprint version (6700) and it's the best phone I even had

check out the smart phone tweaks thread, you'll get a kick out of it, I even post a free regedit for it

I hope you have some tweaks to add yourself

Last edited:

Khayman said:
I want one. BUT i don't want to pay money for it since i'd never use it for anything other than being a phone because a) i never have email that important, b) i sit at a computer all day anyway.

so in short, give me one :p

I managed to get one of these from T-Mobile (UK) for only £40.

More photos please.

That seems like a sexy product, 'tis a shame Verizon doesn't make one :(

How is the phone (talking) quality on it?

How large is it? We need a photo of it in your Palm to get an idea :p The features are killer though.

Is the 6700bb out yet? I only see the 6700 on their site.

I don't follow the verizon product line and I don't know what models are current

it's a briick, the slide out keyboard adds alot of debth to it

<-------------

How's the phone quality Perris? Can you hear others well and can they hear you?

I would imagine a headset would be best, so you can access the calendar aspect if/when needed while on the phone?

the speaker phone sucks, the quality is fine, though it doesn't snug up to your ear which would be better, reception i sexcellant and you can use the 802.11 as a net stumbler to war drive

I never hold a phone to my head without a head set unless I have to

again, the speaker is very disapointing, but otherwise this is a fine piece of equitpment, take a look at my smart phone tweak thread

MaximumPC has a good "head to head" this week on PDA phones and SmartPhones. The two phones they use are from the Cingular product line.

Good read.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back