x64 Incompatible / Compatible Applications

welcome to this board etard

I know you'll come up with something to add

Hi

After a turbulent install (6 times!!) I finally got it going. My Radeon 9600SE didn't like it at first and I had to resort to an old Geforce 2 for the initial set up.

Not tried much, just the basics:

Working

• Tiny Firewall
  • Avast Free
  • WS FTP Pro
  • Firefox
It's also possible to copy over Firefox's 'profile' folder to the x64 version and it keeps all your settings, cookies, bookmarks, passwords and extensions (not adblock unfortunately). Themes don't seem to work though.

Non Working

• Outpost Pro (Installs but does not run)
  • AVG
Seems a bit faster
:rolleyes:

perris said:
radeon has drivers for 64, you have to install those

Got them. Problem was x64 install didn't seem to like my Radeon (or my monitor - not sure which). It would go through the whole setup then on the second reboot, it would hit the Windows splash screen and the monitor would go black (unsupported mode apparently). Not even a chance to go into safe-mode! TV-Out worked though - but thats no good.

I did a full install/setup with an old Geforce card then swapped cards. Radeon works ok now with x64 (but only with the tv-out adaptor plugged in!) Not the idea solution - Just luck I had an old card kicking about!

Just the same (It was acting up during the install anyway - way before I get a chance to install drivers myself). I think it was my monitor acting as expensive as it was. Regardless, it works now!!

And so do:

Winamp 5.09
Thunderbird 1.0.2
Photochop CS2

Gonna try Half Life 2 now...

Been using O&O defrag while I wait for Raxco... I didn't think it would be that good but I am very impressed.

It offers several different kinds of defrags

STEALTH (quick and low resource)
SPACE (get as much space as possible)
COMPLETE/NAME (by name?)
COMPLETE/ACCESS
COMPLETE/READ

Quite impressed, still a beta tho:
http://www.oo-software.com/en/index.html

NOD32 antivirus works OK
Microsoft antispyware works OK
Azureus works OK
Visual studion 2005 beta 2 installs OK (not tried it all yet but looks ok)
winrar 3.5b6 works fine

Firefox x64 (deep park alpha 1) installs but you cant seem to download anything...when clicking on a link I get an error

I currently have an old 3d prophet 9000 pro graphics card and spent ages looking for drivers to work, the below 2 links I found useful

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=68159&page=2
http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/downloads.php

Diskeeper installs but all the options dont seem to be available

Sophos wouldnt install

Outpost pro 2.7 installed but on booting up the pc kept giving errors so I uninstalled it

Last edited:
ms64bitupgrade <ms64bitupgrade@productorder.com> to me
More options 3:42 pm (4 hours ago)

Your order for the Microsoft Windows x64 Technology Advancement
has shipped!

Order Number: X1191xxx000x

W16xx7088xxx

Note: Duties and Taxes for shipments to non-US locations are
the responsibility of the recipient.

Thank you again for your order.
Microsoft Windows x64 Technology Advancement Team

001689xxx3 . MS64SI

WoooHooo

ps added a fes xxx 'x in places

I cant wait gonna just get a new hard drive for now and run it alone until I figure out what bugs I will have to deal with .

I dont see why people ar eposting everyday 32bit apps???

The only apps that wont work are thoase that require 32bit drivers or shell extensions to be installed (some game copy protections systems, defrag apps, etc) or applications that dont appreiciate running on Windows 2003 server (since this is what xp x64 reports as to applications/installers).

Everything else (32/64bit not 16bit) will work without an issue.

Yes I would think that is the way it should be , as I said for me its just more I really have a huge setup task ahead of me when I move to x64 , so I will be running it on a different hard drive testing for a few monthes.

Already have two notables...WinPatrol will not install on x64 and Norton 2004 comes up with a warning stating it causes a known instability and the KB over at Symantec says no current versions support x64. :eek:

well took the plunge on monday and installed windows x64 and started with my new isp.:nervous: one of the first programmes that i found that would not work was real audio,i soon found out that real alterative works a treat so now i can listern to some radio from the beeb.:yowch:any signs of a defragger been made avaible yet ,as im not very happy with the windows one .

LordOfLA said:

I dont see why people ar eposting everyday 32bit apps???

The only apps that wont work are thoase that require 32bit drivers or shell extensions to be installed (some game copy protections systems, defrag apps, etc) or applications that dont appreiciate running on Windows 2003 server (since this is what xp x64 reports as to applications/installers).

Everything else (32/64bit not 16bit) will work without an issue.
most of my 32 bit apps don't work, or work badly...the thing is, usually a recognition needs to be applied to the app by the author for it to run in emulation on the 64 bit os

I have found that just about all 32bit applications work fine with out modification, except of course those which require shell support or drivers.

Still waiting on intellitype drivers and msn desktop search.

Got my x64 disk yesterday an installed ontop of my 32bit win xp creating a dual boot system

everything went fine without a hitch. (did seem to take longer than the 32bit installation)

so far everything seems to be working fine.
i got steam running (which i am amazed at since it is valve we are talking about here)
Avast! is an amazing anti-virus solution AND ITS FREE
DC++ is installed and running no problems

the only issues i have is that i cannot use my wireless internet connection
motherboard monitor 5 just won't work ??? (would appreciate some help on this one)
and i cannot install my scanner due to drivers not being available.

I am very much liking my new OS but i cannot see me getting rid of my 32bit xp pro for quite some time yet!

I totaly am 32 bitless, only a few hardware thigns like web cam scanner and printer not working yet, but they're not vital (theres a nother printer i can use over the network).

Also need a good firewall. rock on!

with regards to the firewall - i find that windows firewall works fine

EP you stated that divx codec installed and works fine - it installed and works but the quality of the image is awful - very bright - when i go to adjust the settings it come up with an error

anyone know why?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back