The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

Re: New toy: Windows Mobile 5.0 phone

I've been trying to get eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0 to work and I got it working today, but Microsoft stop using it now they only have the Mobile 5.0 SDK for Visual Studio 2005 and not eMbedded Visual C++. I'm just starting in this area and I was wondering if their is a option for us that want to use eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0.
I believe you can still use eVC++ with Windows Mobile 5.0 it's just not in the SDK, you'll have to download it seperately and then manually configure the emulator. I don't think you're forced into using only managed code they'd just prefer you did.

I can't get over how amazingly useful this device becomes each day that passes. The "notes" feature within Outlook is great because I can keep sensitive client information, such as IP's or usernames/passwords there, and they are easily accessible wherever I am.

I thought it was cool how I opened an e-mail on my phone yesterday, selected a phone number within the message body, and then it let me dial it directly. I'll have to look over perris's thread on his tweaks :D

Amazing!

Device Security Manager Powertoy for Windows Mobile 5.0

Device Security Manager helps developers test various security policies for Windows Mobile devices. It is designed as a desktop application that ships w ith a preset list of “security configurations”. A security configuration can be thought of as a template, which contains a collection of individual policies and settings. For example, a security configuration could define policies such as whether unsigned applications are allowed to execute, whether RAPI is disabled etc. Using this tool, the developer can provision a Windows Mobile device with different configurations, and then test the application’s behavior under these configurations. This tool can be used either on an emulator or an unlocked Windows Mobile device.

More Information and Download

That's really cool.

I'm piloting some similar policies on our Blackberry server here at work. It's spiffy how you can push out security to a phone :D

I came across this on Bink...

Microsoft will officially launch its Windows CE 6.0 OS for embedded and mobile devices in the first half of its fiscal year 2007 (July 2006-June 2007), a move which is likely to bring Windows CE 6.0-powered handheld devices to the market early next year, according to Eddie Wu, Microsoft's senior director of device solutions sales, Asia and worldwide ODM ecosystems.

Wu made the remark yesterday in Taipei as the software giant launched a beta version of its Windows CE 6.0 in the Taiwan market.

According to Wu, Microsoft's Windows CE embedded system currently accounted for 30% of the world's handheld device market, with the percentage points climbing to 50% in the PDA segment. Overall, about 10 million handheld devices (excluding GPS devices) used globally are powered by Windows Mobile 5.0, Wu added.

In addition, revenues of Microsoft's embedded system business unit in Asia are expected to exceed US$100 million in fiscal 2006, which ends June 30 this year, Wu noted.

As happened with CE 5.0, Windows Mobile 6.0, codenamed Photon, will follow in late 2007, although you won’t be able to buy any devices on the market using this until 3-6 months after the launch.

Expect Windows Mobile 5 SE, codenamed Crossbow, to be released before this, possibly Q4 this year, to bridge the gap.

The PPC 6700 is manufactured by audiovox and on there website it says the phone is compatiable with all service providers. Does this mean that after buy ing the phone through one service provider you can change service providers?

Quest to Sprint for example.

The 6700 is HTC and UTStarcom hardware.

The 6700 is offered by several major telecoms including Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and Alltel.

Some interesting statistics about Windows Mobile

Here's something interesting that you might find useful about the Windows Mobile business and momentum.
  1. Phones are available from 115 mobile operators in 55 countries
    • These MOs represent 1 billion+ subscribers, roughly 65% of WW subscribers
  2. 47 Windows Mobile device maker partners
  3. 50+ converged phone designs; 100+ phones shipping worldwide
  4. 100 Windows Mobile multimedia content partners
  5. 18,000+ commercial Windows Mobile applications; 1,440+ certified Mobile2Market applications
    • Line-of-business applications from leading companies such as: SAP, Siebel, PeopleSoft/Oracle, Salesforce.com, Onyx, Microsoft, Sybase/iAnywhere, Dexterra, Mobitor, Field Centrix
  6. 1.5 million+ downloads of Windows Mobile SDKs since January 2002
  7. More than 5 million Windows Mobile ‘connected’ devices shipped worldwide in FY05
That's reason enough to start building apps on the platform. Let me know if you want to find out more about whether you should adopt the Windows Mobile platform.

Source: Backstage at MEDC

Freaking heck.

Anyone know if/when the Verizon line will support Exchange and Push technology? I'm limited to POP3 and IMAP4 atm :(

The Palm 700w already supports Push email.

Eh I didn't really word it correctly, but just realized I could access my Exchange over POP.

How do you guys have your configurations setup? I want to be able to receive e-mail on my phone and then be able to sync with my PC. Since, from testing, Outlook does not sync that data, I need to be able to leave e-mail on the server for an interval that gives me time to open Outlook at home.
I am using the POP3 service within Windows 2003. This is really easy to install, configure and use, but it doesn't give me the option to leave messages on the server. I know I can configure that option within Outlook, but if the messages go to my phone first, which will be the case more often than not, that option is a moot point.

I'm thinking about going to Exchange, where I can use POP3 or IMAP4, but then I'm in the same bind. My only option with that is I would have to use IMAP4, but I despise IMAP and would really only use that as a last resort.

Suggestions?

That's all well and good regarding POP, but if the phone receives the e-mail first it will never make it to the PC, so that's no good.

Even if I use Exchange, to get it on the phone I have to use POP3 or IMAP4.

Not true, the phone doesn't remove the email from the server. It stays on the server and will stay on the phone until IT (the email) disappears from the server.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. I wouldn't have thought POP3 behaves that way unless settings are changed on the server.

It's an account setting, not a server setting. WM devices are automatically configured to leave the mail on the server.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back