The Official Windows Mobile Discussion Thread

MobiTV expands to Windows Mobile

MobiTV, a mobile TV service provider, has expanded its software to include devices that run Windows Mobile 5.0, Microsoft's operating system for cell phones and handhelds.

The service for Windows Mobile gadgets, announced Thursday, costs $9.99 a month, in addition to the cost of an unlimited monthly data service from the consumer's cell phone provider. MobiTV is a TV broadcast service that allows cell phone and smart phone owners to watch live television, as well as on-demand content, in full-screen format.

People can subscribe to the service through MobiTV's Web site and download the software directly from their phones. The Windows Mobile 5.0 version is also available via Handango.

MobiTV is currently available in the U.S. to Alltel, Cingular Wireless and Sprint Nextel customers, as well as Verizon International users in Puerto Rico. In May, MobiTV also made a deal with AT&T to offer its services via laptops over the AT&T Wi-Fi network. While the channel line-up can vary from carrier to carrier, generally MobiTV offers most of the big players: ABC News Now, CNBC, CNN, Fox News, ESPN 3GTV, MSNBC and NBC Mobile.

MobiTV already offers compatibility for smart phones such as the Palm Treo 700p, Treo 650 and Treo 600, the Sprint 6700 and the Motorola Q. The service is also available for compatible cell phones.

In 2005, 1.1 million people in the U.S. purchased mobile video content. By 2010, that number is expected to grow to more than 30 million people, according to research firm In-Stat.

As it stands now, there are multiple technology standards for broadcasting mobile TV. The main ones include DVB-H used by Modeo, a spectrum band technology used by IPWireless, and Qualcomm technology used by MediaFlo. MobiTV supports multiple networks and hardware systems.

Source: CNET News.com

More news...

We've just spotted what purports to be the HTC Trinity, and while it's looking quite a bit different (and a bit less sleek) than the last time it surfaced, the specs are just as spiffing. The Windows Mobile 5.0 actually doesn't look too much different than HTC's Hermes, with the main addition of GPS and some reworked face buttons. There's 64MB of RAM, 128MB of ROM, a 2.8-inch QVGA display, Bluetooth, WiFi, EDGE, HSDPA and a microSD slot. Just like the Hermes there are VGA and 2.0 megapixel cameras, and the phone is similarly slim at 0.7-inches thick. No more info as to when this will be out, and we can't say we aren't disappointed about the fairly generic look, but there's always a chance (hope) this report is a bit off.

Picture at source.

Source: Engadget

Windows Live is coming into your pockets - Microsoft is working on the transfer of the Windows Live services from desktop to Windows Mobile. We show you what it looks like and what it can do for you!

The days of the (good) old MSN Messenger on Windows Mobile devices are nearly over. Since Windows Live has popped up on the desktops around the globe, with an variety of services behind it like Live Messenger, Spaces, Live.com etc., more and more people got addicted by the viral way of communicating new features via the well known invitation system. So it was about time to transfer the fresh look over to Windows Mobile. While the most people still wait for the invitation to the download of Windows Live Mobile client (code name: Windows Mobile 10.7), msmobiles.com is already one step ahead. See our screenshots and read our descriptions of what you can expect from Windows Live Mobile for Smartphone!

Screenshots at source: http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5351.html

Looks good. Hopefully they fixed the problem with Hotmail adding itself to your mailboxes even if you don't set it up.

For those who are lazy - here is the change log

Changes in ActiveSync 4.2 help resolve connectivity related issues with Microsoft Outlook, proxies, partnerships, and connectivity.

• Microsoft Outlook Improvements: Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014.
  • Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements: Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet.
  • Improved Desktop Pass Thru behavior with ISA proxy failures.
  • Partnership improvements: Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop.
  • Connectivity Improvements: Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter). New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts.

has anyone found an SMS app which I can run on my desktop to send messages through my mobile?

My phone has been locking up like crazy lately, have to soft reset at least once a day :(

Having issues making it come on when the screen is off.

which phone do you have chief?

what apps have you installed?

usually the phone not coming on is a bug called 'dark screen of death"...the phone is actually on but the light is set to be off...I don't know if tat's your issue or not...if you can see anything at all you should be able to navigate the interface and trun the screen on

on my 6700 all I have to do is hold the power button a few seconds, that does the trick

I have the Treo 700w.

I haven't installed any apps really less the ROM updates as have been released. The Dark Screen of Death sounds like what I have. I keep the keylock on, and a password to protect it - not sure if that is making matters worse.

The keys will light up, and the screen sometimes comes on but is very dim. For the most part, the keys respond but the screen does not

Does it happen when plugged in to a power source (USB or wall)?

Sometimes yeah, but I can't be entirely sure on that because I don't really have it plugged in unless it's charging. But I do charge/sync it when I get home and overnight, so I doubt battery is the problem.

What are your settings for Brightness and Power?

Left my phone at home so I can't check that - doh!

FWIW though, it only happens some of the time. Most of the time it works without an issue. Sometimes though, while in the phone, it locks up entirely. This sometimes happen when I try to make a call or if I am doing a manual send/receive. It will go into a funk like it has problems waking up from being out of a service area, then I again have to do a soft reset.

Maybe it's a problem with Palm's intergration of Windows (first attempt you know).

Have you researched it to see if others have this problem? I used to have similar issues on an older Dell Axim.

I remember you stating it was Palm's first run, and there have been problems. I haven't attempted research yet, will try that later this evening.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back