The Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird discussion (Part 3)

It's quite common from what I've seen, as I said, but then again, not everyone is seeing it. I personally haven't experienced the issue on Vista 5219 or now 5270 with Fx 1.5. It could be due to one of several reasons:

- I close the browser when it's not in use, so it's usually not open for several hours at a stretch.
- I currently don't have any extensions other than Tab Preview and foXpose installed.
- It's a fresh install; not an upgrade over 1.0.7. If you had 1.0.7 installed before, you could try backing up the essentials (bookmarks.html etc), deleting your profile folder and installing a clean copy.

I'm really not sure what it is, and I haven't seen any solutions or workarounds yet.

It's mainly good to know that it's not just me.

The potentially bad thing is that I recently upgraded about 30 of our employees to 1.5 from 1.05 (I think). Hopefully they won't all have the same experience.

I've been a bit busy as of late, but just noticed that SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta has been released for anyone interested. :)

... SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta enhances the product with new features like tab drag and drop, but also is the first release branded with the new SeaMonkey logo, which was unveiled earlier this month. While much of the core code is shared with the popular Firefox 1.5 browser, SeaMonkey comes with the the look and feel familiar to users of its ancestors, the Mozilla Application Suite and Netscape Communicator packages.

NetRyder said:
It's quite common from what I've seen, as I said, but then again, not everyone is seeing it. I personally haven't experienced the issue on Vista 5219 or now 5270 with Fx 1.5. It could be due to one of several reasons:

- I close the browser when it's not in use, so it's usually not open for several hours at a stretch.
- I currently don't have any extensions other than Tab Preview and foXpose installed.
- It's a fresh install; not an upgrade over 1.0.7. If you had 1.0.7 installed before, you could try backing up the essentials (bookmarks.html etc), deleting your profile folder and installing a clean copy.

I'm really not sure what it is, and I haven't seen any solutions or workarounds yet.

It could also be a corrupt Java thing, or not. I still feel that it has to do with Java. I have gone to some sites that need to run a Java applet and the damned browser will grind to a halt and commit suicide on the spot. Sometimes I will be able to close out the browser in time before it freezes to death. But after, if I look at the tray the Java icon is still there. So I open up the Windows Task Manager and check the "Processes" and sure enough Firefox is still loaded and suckin memory. I kill that process and the Java icon goes away and then I can open Firefox again. Strange also because I have noticed that when I open "Add/Remove Programs" I have multiple listings of the Java engine. Meaning three differnt version installs. What sucks is that if I try to uninst one then the others can't find the damned uninstall file thingy and refuses to uninstall the others. And so when I reinstall Java all three versions are still listed.

Plus what's so weird about all this is if I open Mozilla and load the same sites that need to run the Java applets they run fine without any problem.

Damn, I'm starting to ramble... The End. :D

muzikool said:
I'm noticing something that is similar to what Omar posted earlier (responded to by gonaads in post #721).

It seems like there is a memory leak or something in 1.5. If I run Firefox all day at work without closing it down, Firefox will be using 500MB+ of my memory (1GB installed) and then crash.

I haven't scanned my Java folder for anything malicious, but I'm not often on pages that (noticeably) load Java applets.

I had a lot of problems with the memory usage growing until Firefox crashed. I read on MozillaZine and they gave several things to try. I use Adblock and they suggested using Adblock Plus

http://adblockplus.webhop.org/adblock_plus_0.5.11.1_en-US.xpi

I think this is what finally fixed it. I had also upgraded Java as gonaads had suggested and also created a new profile.

BTW, the memory usage problem was really terrible when viewing ESPN.

Well I spoke too soon yesterday.After going back to 1.0.7 it started happening all over again.I've now uninstalled every trace of Firefox and gone back to IE.
I had not 1 problem before using 1.5 and now I can't use any version :dead:

I have just installed the "adblock plus" extension to 1.5, will see how it goes and report back on anything that occurs... or doesn't occur. :D

Evil Marge said:
Well I spoke too soon yesterday.After going back to 1.0.7 it started happening all over again.I've now uninstalled every trace of Firefox and gone back to IE.
I had not 1 problem before using 1.5 and now I can't use any version :dead:

Marge, do you use Mozilla at all? If yes, has it had the same problem as Firefox?

If no to first question disreguard second question. Ummmm... What are ya wearing? :rolleyes: :p

*whispers* go to secret webcam link
whistle.gif

I'm being lazy and not using search :p

Anyone figured out a fix for the insane memory leak? I dont like my browser using 900MB out of 1024MB of ram and kayako esupport suite only works properly in firefox :(

Or has anyone heard of a fix being in a recent nightly?

is there a way to do a windows update through firefox, i get a page from MS telling me to install IE...

Well then, i think ill pass after doin that readin..thanks agin for all your help...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back