need immediate help

When you first got the black screen and you could not see nothing on the monitor, didn`t you think that it was the monitor dead or something !!!!!

Wow, gripping stuff, ever thought of publishing it?

Anyway, I feel for ya dude, it's like losing a member of the family isn't it?

ZedExSeven

bytes: thats actually something i thought about. thankfully ive got the 3 year warranty on the chip so i could switch it out. ill try that.

zed: it really is. ive been without my baby since march 6th or so. thankfully ive got this 350 to get me through the hard times. to quote the late great albert king.. "if it werent for bad luck baby, i wouldnt have no luck at all."

cheers,
cam

sent the stuff off to the two establishments a while back, havent recieved any word yet other than that the motherboard people recieved it..lets hope.

cam

hehe its worse for me ;)

but not really. this 350 does almost everything i need from it. the only things from my old pc i did that this cant handle is divx movies and graphic editing (at least not very fast).

cam

Cam,

Just finished Reading the Entire thread and I feel for you. What kind of Motherboard do you have? The reason I ask is because I had an Asus board that absolutely refused to boot or even post immediately after I installed a new NIC (Linksys in case you're all wondering). Worked fine up until that point. I tried a different Linksys NIC and it still would not post. Put in an SMC NIC and it smiled, I heard the angelic choirs (possibly chemically induced) and she booted up with no problems. Just my two cents. Another thing, you said (If I remember correctly and not wanting to go all the way back through the posts) that you bought a new Motherboard and tried that? Was it identical to the one you replaced it with? Revision, BIOS and all? If not then consider this: You are trying to boot with the HDD that you had in the old mobo...which means that your OS is using the chipset drivers for that old mobo...trying to load those drivers instead of the ones it needs to recognize things like PCI Bridge, etc. You may want to consider taking an old HDD that you don't mind formatting, see if it will post...one beep...and then reinstalling your OS and then try to recover any data you need off of the first HDD.

I'll be grabbing some popcorn for this one. Best of luck to you Cam.

the newer board was an asus as well, not the same model, but similar. as for the hdd/chipset/os theory of yours, i dont think it could really be that. i dont even GET to the point where its about to boot. even if that were so, i sent back both parts. they will be back in my hand within a month or so i hope.

im survivin though. my silly aunt had a pII 350 bogged down with so much crap she was convinced it was worthless. i convinced her it'd be good of her to give it to me. that was christmas. not a moment too soon that i get a second pc eh ;)

like i said a few posts back, the only thing im really missing is the divx. everything else i did before can be done on this machine.

cam

as if there werent enough twists already..

the AMD people called me today, the chip isnt damaged or anything.. perfect working order, they're sending it back.

i guess it was just a DOA board.

cam

I had a similar prob, not soo bad, XP went belly up, and no OS would install. Finally throttled AMD T-Bird to 500MHz, and installed from there everything was OK. Then I thought about checking the CPU Temp, would you believe that 500MHz was 50 degrees C, and 1000MHz was borderlining on optimium egg cooking temp around 75 to 80 degrees. Now I have Arctic Silver on the heatsink and it cant get past 40 degrees.
Had the processor running for a year before this, the original thermal compund had some paper over it which I removed, when I realised what it was covering it had always run hot, about 60 degrees, as it was in the way of the heatsink and the compound.

Oh yeah thanks for the tips Bytes, I think I may have a failing MB in an ME machine, it has random lockups, it is an Abit BX6 r2, is there any software that I can use to check it?

Hope your PC gets back and working cam.

Also could the MB have fried the RAM, what kind of system(inside the box) temp do you usually get.

Another thing one time I had a prob with my PC, and I removed everything nothing was connected to the MB except the PSU and the power switch, I turned on and then off, then everything was working again. No probs since.

break out the thinkin caps again guys..

amd reports: no problems
ussa.com reports: no problems

both companies are sending back the parts.

the mb would beep crazily if it were bad ram ya?

so perhaps power supply?

cam

Chapter 10 "The Parts come back[/B]

When there back, Insert board, pore over the boards jumpers and check them very carefuly. Remember especialy The FSB jumper, as far as I cam remember for a Duron 1200 it should be 100mhz. Even if your'e wrong here it doesn't matter as the chip would come up as 900Mhz not 1200Mhz ( 9x100=900 as opposed to 9x133=1197)

Insert the chip,fan,memory and prefably a pci graphics card just in case it's an agp issue pulling the board down. ( been there done that etc)

IF (IF ? No ! When!!) it boots, add one card at a time and see if it stops booting. Obviously the last one is dodgy.

Remeber that asus boards are fussy little buggers and will refuse to do anything at the slightest provocation, so check those jumpers again on a non boot situation ;)

As for beeping if the ram is faulty, no, missing ,yes but faulty could just stop it powering up, in fact thats a damn good point !!!

Best of luck, Email me if any probs

they're sendin the sonbitch back as soon as they read my email.

then we will attempt to make the old girl run :D

also i forgot to mention, and im sure this may have been the big problem all along.. i didnt touch the jumpers. like i mentioned (or at least i think i did) this was my first time dicking around with motherboards and processors.

cam

Cam...
I just finished reading the saga that is your computer problem and I feel for you. I have been in your shoes many times and I would say its the power supply or the RAM. As you can see from my signature I may have some of the same parts as you in my system. Anyways, I am in florida too and I build systems for a living. If I can help, let me know. I am in Miami.

You can email me at ridewaves@aol.com ;)

hehe, thanks.

im in lakeland. a bit too far to stop by and take a look.

i have an extra 128mb ram stick i can try, so i suppose if that doesnt work it's settled.

cam

Cam,
One thing that came to mind as I was laying in bed early this morning which is very rare indeed, but has happenned to me....

Did you replace the grey data cable for your hard drive? Maybe the cable went bad. If the computer gets to the point of all the PCI info but not beyond it. At that point, it begins to look for instructions from the Hard Drive but if the cable is bad, it will just sit there as if there is no HD installed at all.

I had that problem once and it beat me up for 2 days before I thought of replacing the cable.

Just a thought of something else to try....

it is a thought, but you must have missed something among the ghastly amount of pages. i was getting nothing on screen, and when i did it would give me a lot of shit.

yes, at one point it would get close to the hdd, but it would never attempt anything or so it seems. i will keep that in mind though, if we run into more trouble.

cam

Can't Wait To Hear the outcome of this one.....

Please Keep Us Posted!

Until Then, Hang in there!:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back