need immediate help

Cam,

This layer of compound has to be THIN !! Imagine youv'e got an ounce of butter and 100 slices of toast, spread on, scrape off (with your finger). You are only (as lockout says) sealing the imperfections in the heat sink. Too much and you can literaly fry your chip.

Simply boot up in safe-mode!
That will fix all driver problems!
During black screen boot up, right before the XP logo press F8!

Kick the puter real hard over and over until you feel better.

update again. i ordered it thursday the 7th, had been waiting for a "we've sent it" email ever since.. nothing in the box today so i called em up and asked whats up. apparently the 1.3 tbird was out of stock, so after a bit of discussion with the guy i opted for a 1.3 duron 200fsb, saved 14 bucks or so, sunny times.

it'll be here wednesday he said. so expect an update sometime wednesday

cam

went and bought the 1.3. installed. boot. it gets up to right after pci device listing and stalls. i tried resetting the bios. i tried resetting the bios config.

any ideas? this is pissing me off.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned a faulty PSU. This is exactly how a machine acts when the motherboard's getting about half the current it should -- attached devices stall on boot, AGP won't power-up (many modern monitors won't come on from sleep at all without a signal), and finally, with nowhere near the power you need to keep an Athlon going after POST, the machine refuses to do a thing. This would never signal any beeps (assuming that you have a system speaker connected).

It could also signal a short in the mainboard, but I'd still put my money on the PSU.

Another more far-out suggestion is that you have faulty house current or a bad power strip, which I've seen do similar things -- but that depends on the PSU, as some won't even power up if it's not gettin' enough juice.

Just a few opinions ... hard to tell without manually troubleshooting the hardware.

thing is, i replaced the cpu and it boots up until that point..

and everything runs nice up until that point, and everything just levels off and idles after that.

so i dunno. what sort of tests can i do? i KNOW the processor was at least part of the problem because it now halfway boots.

cam

Cam,

Have you just bunged all your hardware back in or are you on essentials only ?

i tried it without anything except the essentials and it still didnt work. what do the rest of you think about the power supply idea?

Actually, getting further with the Duron than the T-Bird only helps the juice theory, since a Duron (no matter what the speed) uses a heck of a lot less than a T-Bird will.

Try running bare-bones again and underclocking the Duron as much as you can -- if everything goes well, it's definitely your power supply (or a short in the mainboard at the very least). If it doesn't, I still wouldn't rule it out, but at least it's a start. Also, if your motherboard has voltage monitoring in the BIOS, check to see that they're within norms.

i pulled the power supply out of a working pc and installed it in the machine.. booted up to the same problem.

i guess it was the motherboard all along eh.

cam

Sounds that way. Most newer motherboards aren't very prone to sudden damage without some sort of external influence, i.e. strong power spikes or a faulty PSU (or both), although on the rare occasion you might come across sudden FSB timing problems with some chipsets (notably with ALi and some SiS hardware).

so you're still betting the power supply is messed up?

i could always rip the one out of this one again and put it back in the other.. its an interesting theory, havent heard it from any of the dozen people ive been talking to though.

cam

I'm not betting on it, I'm just saying it's possible and something you should keep in mind. Many physical motherboard problems can be traced back to cheap or faulty PSUs, so when you get your new board up and running, double-check to see if all of your voltage readings are consistant.

hey cam,

I gotta apologize man...........

When my cpu quit I went through all the stuff you are and had the same symptoms. I swapped PS and checked cables and stuff. Finally, when I put another CPU in, the system came up. So, I replaced the cpu and everything seemed fine. Only my symptoms came back today. So I took the old cpu and stuffed it in a different box and the damn thing worked.

So I'm in about the same situation as you, except mine will come up eventually, if I just keep turning it on and off. Took about 5 tries tonight. When I look at all my voltages they look pretty good, but they are only monitored after I'm up.... can't tell you what they are doing during boot, or rather, I don't want to turn it off so I can check the during boot.

gonna try a different PS again.

dont worry about it.

whatever it is, im tired of it.. and a new motherboard will fix it.

i will pluck the good power supply out of this machine for the main pc and order one for this one later when i have some cash.

power supply theory doesnt strike me as possible really, both poewr supplies give the same result.. so i dunno how it could be.

cam

I had a wierd day.. blew 3 psu's with a dodgy pair of xp1800's
LOL good job the Boss was watching the action he couldnt say a thing.

the saga continues.

new motherboard arrived today. i did everything as said in the manual, installed, added all my pci crap, etc etc etc. went to boot, nothing. i figured out placement of the led leads are important so i fixed that, and it'd start but nothing on screen.. just fans started.

so i remembered someone mentioned faulty psu.. so i ripped a psu out of another pc, tried it, it booted into a bios thing saying my last boot was fucked up and i needed to edit something, so i went to edit and nothing would move, so i turned it off, pushed my keyboard in to make sure it was in snug, then booted again.. i get hds moving, fans moving, cds initiating.. and nothing on screen.

is my computer cursed or what? =p

cam

well... worse case scenario is that your computer really just.... DIED, the best step from there is to take out the hard drive, and use it on another computer so there is no data loss.

Don't ferget RAM either... if u do forget however... can i have em? hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back