need immediate help

What speed is your CPU, this does sound a bit like a overheat prob.
Is the heatsink bonded to the CPU or does it use a non-bonding thermal compound, does it have a thermal compound. I had a prob like this with my Athlon 1GHz, I reset the Bios, and got it to boot I took it into the Bios, so I then slowed the CPU Clock to 300Mhz, I was then able to get it to boot properly and install Windows. That was all I needed, I was then able to get online and order some new thermal compound (Arctic Silver, the best stuff on the planet) put that on and cranked up the clock and all has been fine.

The prob with mine was that the Heatsink had some pink thermal goop on the base covered by some waxed paper, I removed the Waxed paper as it was (correctly) preventing proper heat transfer. This resulted in a small gap between the heatsink and processor and casued crashes. The CPU had always run hot (50-60 C.
The old themal compound had molded around the processor shape, but it didnt properly match or contact without the paper.

Once I removed the old compound and replaced with Arctic Silver 3, it was fine, the normal operating temp is 47 C full load (its always at full load as I am running the United Devices Cancer thing). No load is 35 C.

Would it be possible for you to post some pictures of the motherboard, CPU, heatsink, and Power supply, individual and all together if possible.

NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA !!!

Yeah cam, can you get any pictures up, things like each part of the motherboard, the cpu in place, multipliers etc. Then we can all put our heads together, suck through our teeth and say something like "Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhh silly bugger, he forgot to..........."
;) :D

dont think the idea was to make him feel stupid, it was just that I work better with either the thing in front of me or a picture.
Glad you think its a good idea though.

Poor Guy

Read thru all these posts Cam.....really feel for you.

Any news?

Gralk

Originally posted by gtgarside
dont think the idea was to make him feel stupid, it was just that I work better with either the thing in front of me or a picture.
Glad you think its a good idea though.

Whoops, no I wasn't trying to make hime look stupid either, just my warped sense of humour

Sorry :)

hehe no offense taken guys. im up for anything at this point.

i tried to set the bus frequency to 100mhz, i did this.. and it would power on and stay on but nothing on screen

i set it back to where it was before and it would power on then shut itself off as it did before, nothing on screen.

the thing about the goop is what i have.. i bought this proc/heatsink from amd and it came with waxpaper covered goop which i was assured by the tech support people that it would work (!).

(edit) forgot to mention - all i have is a dinky webcam on this pc, would be very difficult to really truly see anything with it.

cam, where in Florida are you? If you are not far from me, I might be able to help hands on. I'm in DeLand.

Hey X, Just think of the Xp-erienceville paper head lines.

"Mayor rushes over to help unfourtunate soul", gotta be worth thousands of votes in the next election.

Wanna borrow my spare patrol car ?

xsiv if you cant figure it out get pictures so we can all see if we can figure it out.

Sorry Bytes but I dont think so, I have just started work on them and they are learing how PCs and software work from the ground up, they have started work on Windows, Unix, Be/OS, and OS/2. So far they have only managed to get as far as Windows 3.11, though 95 is predicted to be completed in a week. But XP wont be done for a month at least. Once they have the knowledge then we have to get them to be able to survive for extended periods of time, that will be the hard part.

Ah, but surely this is just basic hardware troubleshooting ! Windows doesn't matter at this point. :D

Do trout work as a collective like the Borg, so everything one trout knows the others know. ?

We are working on a telepathic link but currently they just swim around spouting techno babble, none of them understanding what the other is saying, they have the knowledege it is getting them to act in a collective and their problem solving which are the hard parts. If all of the people in XP-erience were fish then we all club together to solve a problem, we have a common goal, to help. This is the ideal model that we are trying to get the fish to mimic. With very little success. We may need to try other angles.

Cam,

Have you made absolutely sure the leads on the BOTTOM of the board are not touching anything metal at all? If they are, this would be your problem as when this happens, all sorts of funky things can happen.

Verify this for me, as I read all 10 pages, bytes back seemed to mention it around page 8 or so. And since you said this was your first time playing with a motherboard, I figured it'd be it.

Infinite

OH Cam.......... the suspense is killing us......... what's happening?

the mystery has been solved.

the main protagonist: when i recieved the processor in the mail, i removed the white paper but NOT some blue paper that appeared to me to be the paste, seeing as how the first time i did it there were not 2 layers. that fried the processor within about 10 seconds - this explains why it turned on ONCE and then died never to be heard from again.

another problem which would have hurt even if i didnt fry the proc was that i had non-felt screws holding the motherboard down.

we also ascertained that the power supply, ram and video all work.

in closing of what will be one of my last posts on this thread,

i just want to give a big thanks to bytesback especially (been there since day 1) and everyone else. i think if one were to look back, i reported the paper as being off the processor, who would have known i didnt know what i was talking about?

i will be calling up the amd people and RMA'ing it again so that i can attempt to get my pc working yet again. it really makes me slap my forehead and say doh that it was this simple and stupid.

ah well, thanks again everyone i really do appreciate it.

cam, the idiot crusader

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back