Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

What happened to all the decent posts in this thread - like where to get the optimized version of Firebird, or how to get java to work.

This is all chat about themes and no info..

Boooo!

Bad moderators....

:D

That's type ahead. Try typing random stuff, you should be beeped at 3 times before it stops. :)

anyone know if mozilla 1.6a is now based on firebird and thunderbird? or is it still the old (new) code?

That depends on whether you're talking about the latest stable Firebird releases or the latest nightlies.
I know that the latest Firebird nightly is based on Mozilla 1.6b code, so it would be newer than the Mozilla 1.6a browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031123 Firebird/0.7+

Thunderbird, afaik, is a completely separate standalone email app. I don't think it's based on Mozilla Mail.

but wasn't the mozilla suite supposed to combine thunderbird and firebird into one app, because the mozilla code was so bloated?

Originally posted by Elroy Jetson
but wasn't the mozilla suite supposed to combine thunderbird and firebird into one app, because the mozilla code was so bloated?

I heard something similar, but I haven't really installed the Mozilla suite since Firebird 0.5, so I'm really not sure what's included in these recent releases.
I'm sure there are people who still have Mozilla installed (I think SPeedY does), so I guess one of them should respond later and answer the Thunderbird question.

Originally posted by NetRyder
Thunderbird, afaik, is a completely separate standalone email app. I don't think it's based on Mozilla Mail.

Actually it is based off of the Mozilla Mail Client or the code.

Thunderbird is a free, open-source and cross-platform mail client for most operating systems including, but not limited to, Windows, Linux and Macintosh. It is based on the Mozilla codebase.

This software may work well enough to be relied upon as your primary messaging client as it is based off a stable Mozilla 1.5 architecture. However, Mozilla Thunderbird is still a preview release, and therefore several features may not be complete.

Note, though, that Thunderbird is not just the standalone Mozilla mail client. The user interface in Thunderbird differs from Mozilla in a few ways, such as the customizable toolbars. Also, since Thunderbird is smaller than the whole Mozilla suite, it's also faster and easier to use. At least it's going to be soon...

They talk more in detail here----> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/index.html

Ah, I stand corrected. :)
I should install the Mozilla suite once again to see what I've missed in it's development since I last had it.

I like the way Firebird is in comparison to the Mozila Suite. Mainly because you can DL Firebird as the basic fast browser and install it and DL the extensions and plugins and features you want to make it the way you want it. Not like Mozilla, that is all combined into one huge pakage. Don't get me wrong I still like Mozilla but the Bird is alot more managable. And with Thunderbird as the stand alone Mail Client I done have to have Mozilla load every time I want to read my e-mail (yeah, I know that the Mail Client opens on it's own, but it still loads alot of Mozilla). Less resources used is always better. Modular is NICE. :)

gonaads - exactly that is why somewhere in the back of my mind, I see to remember that mozilla admitted it was a very messy, big code, and that it wanted to combine the offsprings firebird and thunderbird as stand alone applications into one package. originally, I seem to remember, it was planned for the 1.5 release, but never really happened. SPeedY, you must knopw the answer!

(The browser component of) Mozilla WILL turn into firebird, it WAS scheduled to happen for rv1.5, it never happened.
It's still going to happen, just not as soon as planned.

Originally posted by renakuajo
download it, BUG still present!!! :mad:

You have to download and install the nightly linked to above... just in case that wasn't clear. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back