Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

Originally posted by chaos945
Been thinking about installing a Download Manager until this issue is fixed.

Yep, that's another alternative. Lots of free ones available...FreshDownload, Star Downloader, etc...

Here's a question...
Does anyone know if there is any extension other than TabBrowser Extensions (TBE) available for Firebird that can auto-refresh tabs at specified time intervals?

Yeah, extend your arm and hit F5? :p Isn't there anything on texturizer?

?>

Anyone get a blank page with just "?>" on it sometimes when browsing forums? A page refresh always seems to load the page properly but its damn annoying.

Fixing the problem lies in the hands of the site admin/webmaster.

Humm.. then tell me why Internet Explorer doesn't have the same problems downloading the same files from the same web site! I even ran an experiment putting a rar file on my web site and downloaded fine with IE but not Mozilla! Have you actually tried this yourself?

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Yeah, extend your arm and hit F5?

That would work :p, but I was looking for something that could auto-refresh tabs that are in the background, i.e. inactive tabs.
And nope, nothing on Texturizer other than TBE. Guess I can do without it then.

robuz, it's all to do with mime types, mozilla is doing nothing wrong.

robuz:

IE has a method of determining the use of the wrong MIME types, and "fixing" it on the fly. This is not a good thing however, because it's basically telling web designers that it's OK to screw up. Firebird is forcing everyone to follow standards. That is a good thing. And the more people that start using Firebird and other browsers, the more standardized the web will become. Because you'll force these same web designers to start re-writing their code to cater to more than just IE users.

There is an extension that will supposedly fix the Content Types on certain websites, if the wrong MIME type is returned, but I haven't tried it yet. Here it is, if anyone wants to give it a shot:

Edit: Sorry. I just noticed this is not actually an extension. It's a project for developers.

But here's the link anyway:

http://forcecontenttype.mozdev.org/

Mozilla Firebird question

I have recently downloaded the Firebird browser, and what a great browser it is!!! All web sites visited so far have worked fine, apart from one of my favorite sites u2.com. The flash plugin does not appear to work correctly on this web site, and doesn't load the main page correctly.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem with this web site, or could it be my plugin installation? Just curious really, thanks.

For those of us who like to use the latest nightlies:
Get the 20031128 build. Some nice, new features have been added.

Some things I noticed right after updating:
1) Page rendering seems to have improved. I'm on a very fast connection as it is (> 24 mbit), so I'm not sure if this is just my experience. If anyone else updates, let me know what you think.
2) A new default icon. Looks cleaner than the flame one, IMO.
3) A new download manager with some nice, alpha-blending. :)
4) A popup notification (like the new mail notification in Thunderbird) when a download is complete.

Direct download: Here

Yeah, I'm using the Nov 28 build right now. It's very good.

Not having much success with the Pause/Resume feature of the new download manager though.

And some extensions still don't work. But other than that, performance-wise, it's the best nightly in quite a while.

pause and resume have never worked =). They always keep downloading, even if it is at a trickle.

You ain't wrong about the rendering, it's fast as can be! :D

Ahem!

Oops..... :eek:
I'll remember next time.

You ain't wrong about the rendering, it's fast as can be! :D

Sweet! I knew I wasn't imagining it. And when you notice a speed increase on a T3 connection, you know it's a BIG improvement.
;)

Yeah, on a mere 512k here, and it definitely shows. They just need to work on that damned start-up time now :p

I've probably stated this earlier...but I find that only the initial loading time (after a fresh reboot) is high. After that, it pretty much loads just as fast as IE (maybe a couple of milliseconds slower, but nothing really noticeable).

But yeah, startup time should be made a priority now. I agree, it loads quite slowly on slightly older machines.

Yeah, once it's been in memory of course it's going to load faster ;) Just that initial load need optimising. Of course, loading a none-native application, rendering engine, and all the other lovelies that come with firebird/mozilla is always going to take time, no matter what horse-power you've got behind it :)

They'll get there in the end though, we're still quite a way off rv1.0 :)

They'll get there in the end though, we're still quite a way off rv1.0 :)

Mm hmm...that'll be the day. It's maturing steadily, ready to take the crown :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back