Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i just got firefox, so far its great. but i have a few questions,

how do i install a java plugin with out installing the entire java program from SUN that takes up like 100something megs on my disk?

also how can i keep a history of the addresses i went to with out having to have a history of where i have been?(hope that makes sense)

thanks in advance.

mike09 said:
hey i just got firefox, so far its great. but i have a few questions,

how do i install a java plugin with out installing the entire java program from SUN that takes up like 100something megs on my disk?

also how can i keep a history of the addresses i went to with out having to have a history of where i have been?(hope that makes sense)

thanks in advance.

Well, for the history thing, I don't think you can. But you could set it for 1 day if you only want to see where you've been for that day only.

I'm hooked on tabbed browsing now and have recently tried to use FireFox exclusively but the stinking thing opens links in a new session of FireFox instead of opening a new tab, is there any way to fix this? If not, I'll go back to MYIE2.

Do you have the Tabbrowser Extensions installed? If not, then you need to get those first (on the Firebird Extensions page). If they are installed, then from the menu select Tab --> Tabbrowser Extensions Preferences. In the preferences, select Use Expert Preferences, click Advanced and select what you desire in the General section.

u can also edit the users.js or type about:config in the url bar and there i think u can disable the new window thing....and also u can download TBE or TBP

Just stumbled upon K-melon, it's one of the fastest browsers I've used.

Will the next release of FF include any of the extentions people have made for this great browser to enhance its performance and overall usability?

I don't think that the extensions will be included. For one, there is plenty of work to be done without having to add in extras. And two, adding the extensions yourself allows you to customize the browser exactly how you want it, instead of forcing the extras on you and making a larger browser package.

muzikool said:
I don't think that the extensions will be included. For one, there is plenty of work to be done without having to add in extras. And two, adding the extensions yourself allows you to customize the browser exactly how you want it, instead of forcing the extras on you and making a larger browser package.

When you say there is plenty of work to be done, what do you mean?

You make a good point about not having the extentions added and making it a more customizable browser but somethings like having all links open within the browser and not open in a new window would be a good implementation afterall it kinda defeats the purpose of a multitabbed browser if links open in a new browser window.

This is something new that has just started happening but my FF crashes when visiting OSNN. Of all the sites I visit it's only doing it to this site. What can be causing this?

sidefx said:
When you say there is plenty of work to be done, what do you mean?

Well the browser isn't even to the 1.0 release yet. There are countless bugs, even though you might not experience or notice many of them. Many people are still reluctant to use Firefox over IE because it doesn't display everything correctly, etc.

muzikool said:
Well the browser isn't even to the 1.0 release yet. There are countless bugs, even though you might not experience or notice many of them. Many people are still reluctant to use Firefox over IE because it doesn't display everything correctly, etc.

Hater...
dry.gif
biggrin.gif

sidefx said:
This is something new that has just started happening but my FF crashes when visiting OSNN. Of all the sites I visit it's only doing it to this site. What can be causing this?

I also have noticed some quirkiness here, but no crashing.

I don't know if it's the browser or the way the forum's pages are written. Maybe there are some gremlins runnin around.
biggrin.gif

Flush yer cache and cookies and try again ta see if it still crashes.

Otherwise... I have no clue.

You can't really rely on versions though. IE's on version 6 and they still haven't got it right! At least when Mozilla hit 1.0 it already had pop-up blocking, tabs and all the other features we need in a browser.

I haven't been having any problems on this site... are you using nightlies?

SPeedY_B said:
You can't really rely on versions though. IE's on version 6 and they still haven't got it right! At least when Mozilla hit 1.0 it already had pop-up blocking, tabs and all the other features we need in a browser.

Very true. I expect 1.0 to be better than the latest IE.

muzikool said:
Very true. I expect 1.0 to be better than the latest IE.

Oh, damn right it will.
grin.gif

Speaking of which...wasn't 0.9 due sometime this month according to the roadmap? Then again, we probably won't see it until mid-late May.

0.9 - One Tree Hill - March/April, 2004
1.0 Beta - Greenlane - May/June, 2004
1.0 - Phoenix - June/July, 2004
1.0 Beta (MacOS X) - June, 2004
1.0 (MacOS X) - July, 2004

:)

Yep, 0.8 was due in December though. So I think it's safe to expect some delays in future releases as well. Besides, I haven't seen a mention of 0.9 on MozillaZine yet.

By the way, are you back to using Mozilla now, Dave?

Yup, Gecko's about 3-billion* times faster at rendering than KHTML :p

(* estimated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back