Mozilla, Firefox, Thunderbird and other Gecko-based software discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glaanieboy said:
(Mozilla Firefox 0.8)
Alright, I have just discovered the use of userChrome.css and I was thinking to use this file as a workaround for the slowdown that I experience on the frontpage when scrolling through the page. This slowdown is (obviously) caused by the background, which is set to 'fixed', and the slowdown should be gone when it is set to 'scroll'. For that I have this line added to the file:
Code:
body {
  background-attachment: scroll !important
}
This should work, but the problem is, that it is not defined in a style sheet, instead it is written in style="<style thingies here>", so it won't work. How can I do it?
Anyone?

Downloading Zip files

I don't know if any of you have this problem, but every time I click on a link to download a zip file, the download window has the "ok" button cleared out. I can't click on it.

I do have winrar assigned to my zip files.

By the way, I'm on Windows xp SP1.

ace56x said:
I don't know if any of you have this problem, but every time I click on a link to download a zip file, the download window has the "ok" button cleared out. I can't click on it.

I do have winrar assigned to my zip files.

By the way, I'm on Windows xp SP1.

Well first look to see what action the Browser has associated to this file type.

Now I'm guessing this is in Firefox.

To check, first click on the "Tools" tag at the top of the browser.

Next click "Options" in the dropdown box and then click on "Downloads" in the window that opens up (see first attachment).
In the window on the right, at the bottom you will see a list of file types and the associated action the browser will do with each.

If "save to disk" is not associated with this file type (Zip File) then click the "change action" button below the list window (see first attachment again).

Now in the "change action" window that opens up tick the "save to disk" option and then click "O.K." (see second attachment). Then click "O.K." to close the remaining window(s).

Now close Firefox, restart it and try to download a Zip File.

I hope this helps.

Hey thanks alot Gonaads. (wow that sounded mean, LOL)

One of the problems that I ran into though, was that zip wasn't located under file types, like you said.

But I did fix it. I went in to windows explorer, and under, Tools, Folder Options, File Types, I clicked on Zip, and clicked off "confirm open after download." Now it works.

Oh and another thing. I noticed Mozilla 1.7b came out. And it says that the mail client now supports MSN Authentication. Does that mean I can log into Hotmail using Mozilla mail like Outlook? That would be cool if it did. Any insite on this.

what version of FF is everyone using...official release or nightly build...are there any nightly builds with the autocomplete inline addresses?

is there anyway to make links send via ICQ or MSN Messenger open in a new tab instead of the current one??? i have TBE and still can make it happens.......i'm using firefox, dont know why i cant cause i've been using for a while and never has this problem till know..........is there anything i can put in the users.js or change something in about:config

Does firefox have what I need for online banking? My online bank decided to upgrade thier servers two weeks ago, and now I cannot perform a few different types of transactions that I need to perform with FireFox. Now, I need to open IE to complete any banking transactions. Going to their support page, FireFox is not listed as a supported browser. It says that my browser should support 128bit encryption. Can I get a high-encryption pack for Firefox, just like Windows has for IE?

Heeter

I seem to be getting a few pop-ups with firefox!

Never seen this before, anyone else getting them???

Heeter said:
Does firefox have what I need for online banking? My online bank decided to upgrade thier servers two weeks ago, and now I cannot perform a few different types of transactions that I need to perform with FireFox. Now, I need to open IE to complete any banking transactions. Going to their support page, FireFox is not listed as a supported browser. It says that my browser should support 128bit encryption. Can I get a high-encryption pack for Firefox, just like Windows has for IE?

Heeter

Heeter, what bank are you doing the online banking with?

I do online banking with Bank of America and I use Firefox almost exclusively. I also use Mozilla on occasion.

Now it could be that the bank you are dealing with is using Active X for some if not most of it's transactions and user authentication and access control systems.

Read this, It tells about the Active X thing.

But I find it strange that I have never been able to find anywhere in Firefox a listing of what encryption strength it uses. Does anyone have any insight into this or a link to where it may state this? It would be good to know.

Mubbers said:
I seem to be getting a few pop-ups with firefox!

Never seen this before, anyone else getting them???

Click "TOOLS" then "OPTIONS"

Then click on "WEB FEATURES" and tick the box at the top that says "BLOCK POPUP WINDOWS"

Then click O.K.

gonaads said:
<snip>

But I find it strange that I have never been able to find anywhere in Firefox a listing of what encryption strength it uses. Does anyone have any insight into this or a link to where it may state this? It would be good to know.

It supports 128 bits easilly. I go to a lot of sites and they all have 128 bit encryption and it works fine. I dont know all of the ones it supports.

gonaads said:
Click "TOOLS" then "OPTIONS"

Then click on "WEB FEATURES" and tick the box at the top that says "BLOCK POPUP WINDOWS"

Then click O.K.

Already ticked :confused:

So they are breaking through :eek:

Get the sand bags we've sprung a leak.
biggrin.gif

Glaanieboy, being Dutch, should stick his finger in the hole...

Mubbers said:
Glaanieboy, being Dutch, should stick his finger in the hole...

Scotty, more power to da shields!
laughing1.gif
*runs*

Thanks a million, Gonaads.

That would explain why Firefox was working without a hitch up until they "updated" thier servers two weekends ago. They must have switched to an ActiveX for transactions. I am going to email them to confirm this.

Isn't ActiveX a security risk, instead of a security benefit? Doesn't spyware prey on ActiveX to get into your computer?

Thanks again,

Heeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back