Lost

Grandmaster said:
Blasphemous! :eek: I refuse to read any theories that may potentially be spoilers.

They're all gonna die.

There, now you're screwed :smoker:

:laugh: Somehow, I doubt they'd kill the entire caste off, unless the ratings were poor and the producers had to find a graceful way to end the show, without leaving loose ends... Good one though :D

As to Charlie, drug addictions will tend to do that.
Too bad he found the stuff on the plane in em statues. Not to mention that he might have had an easier time with Mr. Ecko had he not done so. With some help, he was able to hold the addiction in check for the time being. And after all that, when others found out he was still doing the stuff, it didn't fair so well for him...

well thought out theory indeed...nice post speedy

Wow! I've seen quite a few lost theories but none as thorough as this one - how do people come up with this crap :p

Nick M said:
Wow! I've seen quite a few lost theories but none as thorough as this one - how do people come up with this crap :p

They have too much time to waste :p

Thats a nice theory.

Now someone kindly explain why the people chosen to repopulate the world are killing themselves and each other and why the people (the others) are also participating in the killing.

On the whole it is a sound theory though it glosses over some stuff.

Naturally one explanation would be our personal feelings and biases

Well, the only problem, is that there really isn't evidence that a polar shift would result in the imminent collapse of the earth's magnetic sphere or the like... More recent evidence on the sea floor, has shown evidence that the Earth's magnetic spheres have changed several times, as observable from the formation of continental plates thsemselves, and certain characteristics in the sedimentary rock that was formed over time...

Think, for instance how with ice core samples, we can do some dating to deterine when ice at a given depth was formed, and then from there extrapolate some information on the Earth's atomosphere (and the composition of gases in it) over those periods of time. I'd have to look for further info (as I had seen the program well over a decade ago), but as I remember the last polar shift was recent enough in geolotic history for Homo Sapiens of one sort or another to have lived through it.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/publications/text/developing.html

Beginning in the 1950s, scientists, using magnetic instruments (magnetometers) adapted from airborne devices developed during World War II to detect submarines, began recognizing odd magnetic variations across the ocean floor. This finding, though unexpected, was not entirely surprising because it was known that basalt -- the iron-rich, volcanic rock making up the ocean floor-- contains a strongly magnetic mineral (magnetite) and can locally distort compass readings. This distortion was recognized by Icelandic mariners as early as the late 18th century. More important, because the presence of magnetite gives the basalt measurable magnetic properties, these newly discovered magnetic variations provided another means to study the deep ocean floor.

Early in the 20th century, paleomagnetists (those who study the Earth's ancient magnetic field) -- such as Bernard Brunhes in France (in 1906) and Motonari Matuyama in Japan (in the 1920s) -- recognized that rocks generally belong to two groups according to their magnetic properties. One group has so-called normal polarity, characterized by the magnetic minerals in the rock having the same polarity as that of the Earth's present magnetic field. This would result in the north end of the rock's "compass needle" pointing toward magnetic north. The other group, however, has reversed polarity, indicated by a polarity alignment opposite to that of the Earth's present magnetic field. In this case, the north end of the rock's compass needle would point south. How could this be? This answer lies in the magnetite in volcanic rock. Grains of magnetite -- behaving like little magnets -- can align themselves with the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field. When magma (molten rock containing minerals and gases) cools to form solid volcanic rock, the alignment of the magnetite grains is "locked in," recording the Earth's magnetic orientation or polarity (normal or reversed) at the time of cooling.

But we're talking a TV show, so that point is rather irrelavent. If that's the idea the show writers had in mind, that's the idea they had in mind.
Now, as to why the people who are supposed to re-populate the species would go around killing each other off, no idea. The plot itself isn't fully developed though, as new episodes bring fresh (and even sometimes unexpected) new revelations to the show's plot itself...

Son Goku said:
As to Charlie, drug addictions will tend to do that.
Too bad he found the stuff on the plane in em statues. Not to mention that he might have had an easier time with Mr. Ecko had he not done so. With some help, he was able to hold the addiction in check for the time being. And after all that, when others found out he was still doing the stuff, it didn't fair so well for him...

Based on the latest episode, it would appear that Charlie didn't start doing the drugs again. He admits that he wanted to badly, but he didn't. Good for him.

As much as I'd like to read the theory, I won't because just in case it's right (or close) I don't want it to be spoiled. :)

I just started watching this on Thursday. :)

Don't get much time during the week, so I've just watched the first four episodes of Season 1 so far. Going to take me a while to catch up, but I'll eventually get there. :p

Glad you're getting into it, Kunal. Looking forward to having you participate in the discussion. :)

Kunal, don't watch it. They all die. It's really depressing :eek:

:smoker:

NetRyder said:
I just started watching this on Thursday. :)

Don't get much time during the week, so I've just watched the first four episodes of Season 1 so far. Going to take me a while to catch up, but I'll eventually get there. :p

Well, if you've been reading this thread, you probably already have an idea... But there are a number of surprises in store for you, the least of which wasn't going into season 2 itself. We'll try not to spoil too much for ya :D

Sazar said:
Kunal, don't watch it. They all die. It's really depressing

:laugh:

Haha yeah. I'll try not to pop into this thread too much until I catch up, but make sure you guys use spoiler tags when necessary (like you already are)! :D

Sazar said:
Kunal, don't watch it. They all die. It's really depressing :eek:
Well in season one before the re-write (series killer) it was thought that they were all dead except for Jack. ;)

Xie said:
Well in season one before the re-write (series killer) it was thought that they were all dead except for Jack. ;)
they are all dead, Jack just ate some hallucinogenic mushrooms and is imagining the rest of the story line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back