iPod Mini

muzikool said:
I'd love to brag about having a huge hard disk on my mp3 player, but realistically, I don't need that much space. I do have thousands of songs, but I don't need them all on my player at once. The price of the Mini isn't exactly proportionate considering the disk size in contrast to the regular iPODs, but the Mini is smaller, and that's worth something.

Different horses for different courses isn't it?...most people dont' "brag about having a huge hard disk" , they buy what they need. People who'd brag about that sorta thing usually live pretty dull lives!

And to be honest, iPods are generally only bought by audiophiles...peeps that have vast collections that need vast HD space to put them on. This little gadget is a godsend to them...like 65mb players are a godsend to others. :)

Teddy said:
The batteries ARE replaceable, you can do it yourself or i believe Apple can do it for a fee (if they dont now they will offer this service in future). Scaremongering is the bane of the iPod.

They last a minimum of 18 months - that's when it's being used by the average user, eg daily.
They don't "last" 18-months, people are wording that wrong. After 18-months some people are experiencing that the battery does not hold it's charge properly. As I mentioned before though, some people don't know how to care for rechargeable batteries. It's not some miracle format of power, it needs using correctly.

The same goes with batteries in Cell phones, notebooks and many other electronics, people don't care for them, and then wonder why when fully charged it only works for an hour.

As you say though, it can be replaced, so it's hardly a huge problem.

the litium batteries on every laptop I've had last about 8 months...I do know how to take care of litium batteries too.

here's a side note.

no extended warrantee on laptop batteries from most laptop companies, including hp, compact, e machines...probably others.

batteries are like brakes in a car.

it doesn't matter how good you take care of them, they have a finite number of discharges.

that said, I think 50 bucks for a new litium batterie is a score for the consumer

SPeedY_B said:
They don't "last" 18-months, people are wording that wrong. After 18-months some people are experiencing that the battery does not hold it's charge properly.

;) picky get! That's what i meant! :)

How is the best way to use these types of battery?

Charge them only when the battery is (almost) empty or when you need the extended power (for a trip or something). That's what I am telling costumers when they are buying a digital camera/Mobile Phone/iPod/whatever.

I am eagerly waiting for this little beauty to hit the shop I work at so I can play with it :) I also sold the 'big' iPods, so maybe...

heh, it wasn't just you, "last" seems to be the word of the moment is all :)

The main problem with rechargeable batteries is you need to discharge them. Don't charge the little bugger every night, or when it's close to running out. Use it for all it's worth until it's completely dead.
Then charge it fully, again, don't just slap it on for an hour charging because you're only going to use it to go to the shops for milk.

It may be a pain in the arse to follow, I mean if your battery is dead and you want to use it now, you don't want to put it on charge for 3 hours or whatever, you want to charge it for 20 minutes, so you have enough battery for the trip to work. But doing so only damages the battery.

It doesn't say what kind of batteries are included with the iPod, but Lithium-Ion batteries (mostly uses in Upper-class digital camera's and mobile phones) should not have any troubles with the guidelines I just posted. Ni-MH batteries (rechargeable penlites, AA-sized) however, require a full discharge before recharge, because of the memory effect. The memory effect is as follows: When you charge the battery while it still has 50% capacity, and you do that too many times (like 10+ times), the battery 'loses' about 50% of it's capacity so you can only charge it to 50% and not further. You'll lose half the capacity.

I thought that technology had progressed with these batteries so that it didn't matter when you recharged them. I know that suggestions such as yours Speedy used to be important to follow, but I didn't know that they still applied. At some point I heard that those issues with the batteries had been addressed, but maybe I heard wrong?

I think it's progressed, and you don't need to be as strict, but it's still an important maintenance factor.

iPod is rubbish and over priced, get a Nomad Jukebox Zen and the Notmad software for it as well, it aint the bloated stuff you get from Creative

if you wanna get an iPod cause you got money to burn and dont want to get a Nomad and post me the difference ;) then get Anapod Explorer it does for the iPod what Notmad does for the Nomad

From what I've read, a Nomad Jukebox Zen IS better than an iPod, but marginally. But then again it is a lot cheaper, so it may be the better deal.

Feggy wants an iPod mini, he's just afraid to admit it :p (He wants teh pink one!!!111) :D

talk about expensive... I thought they would be cheaper than the full size iPod by a lot more than that.

they do look nice + have nice bits to them...............but the price :(

Don't buy an Mp3 player get a net Mini Disc. Unlimited storage (except you have to have discs) and I think they look so much better!

I have a mini-disc player, have done since the buggers came out. Pretty bored of it now, real time recording is a pain in the *** (yeah yeah, I know about NetMD's) I think that the mp3 player in it's various forms will prevail over MD.

I had a 128mb mp3 player. It broke. I think its because I dropped it, but anyway mp3 players seem to be very flimsy and I don't like that! So thats why I bought an netMD because it has bit of weight and body :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back