How to hack shell32.dll

ok im confused !!

open the extracted (original) icon in Studio (Microangelo Studio)

8. open the replacement icon in Studio

9. copy the 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 WinXP icons (alpha-blended) from the desired icon to the respective places in the extracted icon from shell32.dll/.icl

i opened the one that i extracted the cdrom (shell32 181) im studio then i openthe new cd rom icon i want to use

it the new one going to over lay the old like it dose ? and when u say copy how exactly do u do that sorry this is the first time i have use thi program !!!

thx for any help !!!

Originally posted by mavis
ps once you're using Studio (you'll have both icons open, the original and the desired replacement) just select from the list/thumbnails on the right, the proper icons (ie "16x16 WindowsXP," "32x32 WindowsXP," etc) - then simply copy and paste them from the desired replacement to the original - so now your original will have the new WindowsXP format icons, in all the correct sizes, leaving the other formats alone (ie 32x32 256 color, etc) - you only want to replace the WindowsXP format icons... get it?

I just used Edit:Select All, then Edit:Copy to copy from the desired icon, and Edit:paste to paste it into the correct place in original icon... Does that help...?

mavis

here's an example of my shell32 default folder icon - i just pulled it out to show you - does this help...?

mavis

ok when i copy it do i copy it to my desktop the or bacl the the shell32.dll thats on my desktop ?

sorry for the trouble !!:(

Originally posted by BloodLust DWS
ok when i copy it do i copy it to my desktop the or bacl the the shell32.dll thats on my desktop ?

sorry for the trouble !!:(

copy "it" - what "it" exactly? Once you've copied each format to the original icon that you extracted, you save the changes (save the original icon) and then you use reshack to replace the icons in the copy of shell32.dll that you pasted to your desktop... steps 13-16...

mavis

ok after 3 days of trail and error i now know what i was doing wrong :D but i made a mistake some where becuase after i hit repair it converted all my icons back to defult LOL so il ltry agian tonight !! I WILL GET IT TO WORK !!!

ok dose it ask u 2 time for xp cd is dose me ? is this right ? also when i replace the shell32.dll it dosent ask me to replace it ? i ll keep try ing

are you renaming the original shell32.dll (to shell32orig.dll, or something) and then dragging the edited shell32.dll from your desktop to the system32 folder? Also, did you make sure to delete the backup copy of shell32.dll from the (hidden) dllcache folder in system32?

:) just trying to help... lemme know if you succeed :D

mavis

thx MAVIS i got it to work can i change more than one at a time

say like the folders open closed and the Recyle bins ?

ICONS

GOOD JOB man!

Looks cool, huh? :)

To answer your question, yes: you can change more than one at a time. I think I did like 5 today in one sitting :D

mavis

THX mavis for the help looks real good all my friends are asking me how idid it LOL:D

I'M Not able to get it works. I have done step by step lots of times but never works, it always put again original shell32.dll back, I dont know where is taht one.
This step ""%systemroot%>system32dllcache"" it's not possible to do in in Spanish XP 2600 version. It says "this dir doesnt exist" but there was a shell32.dll.tmp in system32 dir that I deleted, but again the original one is back.

Any1 knows what can I do?

Thanks

Originally posted by AuRe
I'M Not able to get it works. I have done step by step lots of times but never works, it always put again original shell32.dll back, I dont know where is taht one.
This step ""%systemroot%>system32dllcache"" it's not possible to do in in Spanish XP 2600 version. It says "this dir doesnt exist" but there was a shell32.dll.tmp in system32 dir that I deleted, but again the original one is back.

Any1 knows what can I do?

Thanks

Do you have Windows set to show hidden folders as well as protected system folders? Once it is set to show these folders, you will find "dllcache" in the System32 folder, for example on my computer its: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

Hope this helps.

mavis

Ok, my fault I wrote it like I read it system32dllcache. I have done it, buuttttt, now icons are changed in just few appz. My PC shows me old icons except DVD which is changed. When I open Word XP--- File----Open nad browse My PC ALL icons are changed correctly.

why?

Later I'll Post a screenshot....... why I cant post it?

Forum Rules:
You may not post attachments

Ok, my fault I wrote it like I read it system32dllcache. I have done it, buuttttt, now icons are changed in just few appz. My PC shows me old icons except DVD which is changed. When I open Word XP--- File----Open nad browse My PC ALL icons are changed correctly.

why?

Well, did you reboot, and then use Microangelo or TweakUI to repair/rebuild your icon cache (like in the tutorial)? If you don't do that, sometimes the icons will show, sometimes they won't... - just repair/rebuild your system's icon cache (see tutorial) and it'll work.

mavis

yes yes, I didnt use rebuild of microangelo only TWEAK UI, I think MA hasnt that option at least 5.50. :((

yes yes, I didnt use rebuild of microangelo only TWEAK UI, I think MA hasnt that option at least 5.50. :(

Actually I am also using 5.5 or something - I'm at work right now so this is off the top of my head, but:

Right click on any folder, select "Appearance"
Click the "System" button in the lower left corner
Click the "Advanced" tab, or whatever tab is farthest to the right
Here, select "rebuild" cache - the one that forces a reboot. I think it's the bottom option. Anyway, it actually removes the icon cache and forces WinXP to rebuild it upon reboot. I've used it a few times, and it works as advertised :)

Anyway if you do that, and it doesn't work, try going through my tutorial again. Apparently something got mixed up somewhere - just redo it.

mavis

Ok, now with MA it works, I didnt read in your tutorial anything about MA that's the reason I didnt use it.
Thank u very much.

PS, are your icons available for download? They're really cool.
and how can I edit *.sit? icons from mac

Can't get hacked shell32.dll to work...can someone please help me?

OK, I've pretty much followed Mavis tutorial over and over again for the last 2 days, but still no luck.

I know that I have correctly hacked shell32.dll because when I use ResHacker to open the copy on my desktop, I can see the hacked folder I put in it.

Here is what I think is messing me up...

After I delete system32\dllcache\shell32.dll and rename system32\shell32.dll, my system is automatically regenerating a new system32\shell32.dll!!! I know this is what is happening because one time, just to test out my theory, I just deleted system32\shell32.dll...and about 5 seconds later, it was back. Repeated deletes of system32\shell32.dll resulted in repeated automatic regenerations of itself.

And to take that a step farther, the system regenerates a new system32\shell32.dll anytime I copy my hacked version in to that directory. Again I've seen this happen: for a shortcut on my desktop, I clicked properties/change icon and browsed to system32, then I flipped over and copied my hacked shell32.dll into system32, then flipped back to the change icon dialog and opened system32\shell32.dll and saw my hacked folder. But if I don't actually change the icon, then wait about 5 seconds and reopen system32\shell32.dll via the change dialog icon, my hacked folder is gone!!!

Anybody have any ideas? I'm pretty much stumped, but I'd really like to change some of the icons on my system using this method.

The only other thing I can think of trying is to maybe go through this procedure with my pagefile disabled...doesn't seem like that should be the problem to me, but it might be worth a shot.

Would really like any help anyone can provide!

Thanks.

Re: Can't get hacked shell32.dll to work...can someone please help me?

Originally posted by HawkInDBQ
After I delete system32\dllcache\shell32.dll and rename system32\shell32.dll, my system is automatically regenerating a new system32\shell32.dll!!!

hmm...

The only thing that I can figure is, do you have one of those "corporate" versions of WinXP? ;) If so, are the installation files saved on your hard drive, and did you install from that location? For example, I may have a "friend" who might have a corporate version of OfficeXP Professional w/ Frontpage, lol, and he discovered that if he left the actual installation files on his hard drive somewhere, OfficeXP would know where they were, so that whenever it needed to install additional components, it would do so automatically. This is of course speculation, as I don't know what you have... but if it is a corporate version, you might try backing it up to CDR and then removing the installation files from your hard drive.

I vaguely recall WinXP replacing my shell32.dll without my permission once too... as I recall, the WinXP installation disc was still in my drive (as I had just reinstalled)... It's like it knew it was there and simply fetched the original shell32 from there...

Please let me know if that helps - like I said it's just a guess... But otherwise, I have no clue :)

mavis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back