How to hack shell32.dll

Well the folder is called restore and i disabled system restore, could it be that??

Well anyways u dont have to but if u can find it in ur heart to change 1 icon for me, i would really appreciate.. i posted a link below, of the internet explorer icon that i want replaced on the original one.. if u do edit it for me, plz upload it somewhere and post the link so i can download it, :)

Click Here to download my ICON :)

Thanks ...

Hi guys !

here are sooooo many request from guys who wanna change
the XP-Icons (Folder, HD, ...) but there are not able to use
RESHACK and edit the files by there own, my question, is it possible
to download complete patched Shell32.dll ???

(I know they are 10-15 MB, but look at all the requests here)

Great job everybody, outstanding work !

Best regards,
BFC

Excellent Tutorial and maybe some help

First off.............Mavis, Excellent tutorial man!! I'm about to give it a try.

Second......It sounds like some people are having a problem replacing the patched .dll file (you can also have this problem with an .exe) Well here's what I have to do since my little version of XP likes to back up the file and replace all my changes. I take the patched file and copy it to the C: drive. I write down the directory in which the file has to go (i.e. C:\Windows\System32), I then insert that little wonderful disk that is called DOS boot up. I reboot, wait till I get the command prompt the type in cd (change directory) and the directory (i.e. C:\Windows\System 32) when I get that directory I then type in copy C:\filename.extension. Oh yeah, and Yes to overwrite. then ctrl+alt+del to reboot. Works for every file I've hacked in XP, whether .dll, .exe, etc., and have had to replace. Hope this helps some of you.:cool:

HAve a good one guys and keep hacking.

P.S. Remember DOS is your friend:) , whatever windows won't let you do DOS will.....:)

Mavis thanks for the nice Tutorial, I've read it a couple time and
will try it after I get done cutting the Pastures(Livestock). What I
was wondering is if once I Hack the shell32.dll and get it to work
if I can replace the shell32.dll on my wife's Computer with a copy
of the one I've already Hacked.

Sure do appreciate your sharing all your hard work & knowledge.

Ed

Yes, you can use the shell32.dll in a different computer, no problem. I just reinstalled WinXP on my machine and that was the first file I replaced: worked like a charm.

Have fun! :)

mavis

Not sure if this has been said yet, but I will go ahead anyway.

If you are trying to get the MMX Mercury icons to work in XP and you are using Microangelo and you are getting an error message each time you try to apply the icon, then I have found a short fix.

Open the icon in the Microangelo Studio, click Save As... and save it as the original filename, or a different one as you prefer, now you can use this Icon, Microangelo can see it, use it and apply it.

Hope this helps for anyone with this problem

No, we banned you by the colour of your hair.
Naturally if you wanted to apologise as you are the author of "e-icons" (right!) and come back and join our community we would be well happy...

Until then you are banned from the forums whatever your IP is.Guess we are just a basic site tho...

MAVIS - FOLDER ICON PROBLEM

i've just converted the mac icons found @ mmicons.com their great! (so as you) but one problem is buggin me, i've hacked my
shell32.dll (folder icon & my documents, pics, etc.) and it works just fine, but when i open up the folders,
it still uses the default icon, what im talking about is the folder icon that is displayed on the taskbar, some have change, but most did not, can you help me figure it out? everything is fine except the display on the taskbar..........

just attached a .RAR file that contains a bat file which will automatically flush the dll cache for you, so you can constantly flush it ;)

sHELL32 Q?

OK, sorry for being such a nitwit (new to XP), but I have 3 questions

1- where can I get reshack.exe?
2- How do I delete the backup copy of shell32.dll from System32dllcache? the link is dead (http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=39)

3- Does anyone else have this problem? I customized the default folder using various shareware apps to see wich one i liked best (IconWorkshop, Microangelo Ondisplay and E-icons) in explorer they look fine, but within all applications (coreldraw, photoshop, etc etc,) only the individualy customized icons displayed correctly, all default folders showed the ulgy yellow icon.
Whats going on? I was guessing hacking into the shell32 dll would fix this, but as you see Im stuck!

Thanks
The new guy

sure, no problem. :)

1.) http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

2.) Just download the attached .rar, uncompress it, and use the .bat file contained inside. It will flush your dll cache.

3.) Yes, your right, you will have to manually hack shell32.dll

and excuse the no functional link, we changed portals and we have over a 100 guides which need to be manually added again.

Hope this helps. ;)

o_87

k'

Thanks! I downloaded reshack this afternoon, still cant finde that bat file though :( , was it suppossed to be in the zip file I dowloaded?

Thanks

umm, looks like I didnt attach it. lol

I am not home right now, but I will attach it when I get there. :)

Thanks for the patience

Thanks, always liked customization but had little head for it, been using iphile on win 98 and loved it XP is alittle more difficult in this area (installed it 10 days ago on an old 800 mhz PIII, lucky I had 3 256 mem dimms lyin around;-)

Ok so hehe.....er....humm, where be that bat file? :(

Thanks
ToastyX

Ok..I got a petty question:

How can I change the icons that show up when browsing in a program to open or save a file?

I attached a visual that'll explain this better.

One part of the pic is browsing through the directory to open a file while using a 3rd party program (see how the icons are still XP default).
The other part is browsing through Windows Explorer normally (these are the icons i want AT ALL TIMES, lol).

It's the same thing with the Desktop button and drives, etc.

Now I tried using your method, mavis, and not ALL icons will change (unless i did something wrong). No other programs seem to do this except ActivIcons (Directories changer), but it only allows one folder at a time and you can't change the drives or floppy. Is there any thing to fix this?

Hope you understand my problem :)

Re: Thanks for the patience

Originally posted by ToastyX
Thanks, always liked customization but had little head for it, been using iphile on win 98 and loved it XP is alittle more difficult in this area (installed it 10 days ago on an old 800 mhz PIII, lucky I had 3 256 mem dimms lyin around;-)

Ok so hehe.....er....humm, where be that bat file? :(

Thanks
ToastyX

oh.. umm sry comeplety forgot! :eek: bat file attached ;)

Cool Thanks!

Thanks Ill check it out when im done with the shell32 Im modifiying! :D

ToastyX

sounds good.. post your dtop in the October Desktops thread and I'll check out what you've done :D

hello,
sorry for my bad english!!

I have windows XP with sp1 and I can't change the icons from shell32.dll because when I delete the shell32.dll
from system32 and put my own shell32.dll, XP replace a new shell32.dll!!!

with xp only, I find dllcache folder, but now with sp1, i can't find it!!

I have delete the shell32.dll from:
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

but, as I have said, XP find a new shell32.dll

anybody can say me how i would do to change the shell32.dll with sp1, please

thanks for your futur help

just modified my shell32.dll but for some reason when i run regedt32.exe or windows calculator i get an error message. when i revert back to the original shell32.dll, i receive no error messages. had anyone experienced a problem like mine. i changed a lot of icons in the shell32.dll

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back