How to hack shell32.dll

Thanks Mavis...I'm at work now so I'll have to wait until I get home to check this out...but I really think you might be on to something.

I'm running XP Home...it came preinstalled on a new machine I just bought a couple months ago.

If I remember right, I think there is a \I386 directory (or something like that on my hard drive. I'm thinking that might be what the hardware vendor actually used to do the XP install...and if so, what you said would make perfect sense to me.

I can't wait to get home and check it out.

Thanks again! This is a great web site!

cool! I hope that's it... I would back those files up, if you can... Or just make sure you have a restore disk to reinstall (in case you ever needed to)...

Anyway, glad you like the site! I've been coming here since I got WinXP in October - everybody has always been really helpful and friendly... Just watch out for andyp, and you'll be fine. lol j/k :)

mavis

Mavis - you da man!

Thanks for the tip on this Mavis. There was a shell32.dll out in \i386 and also one in \windows\lastgood.tmp\system32. Not sure which one of them was causing me the problem. But I got rid of them...

And now it is working like a charm! Muchos thanks.

Originally posted by AuRe
Ok, my fault I wrote it like I read it system32dllcache. I have done it, buuttttt, now icons are changed in just few appz. My PC shows me old icons except DVD which is changed. When I open Word XP--- File----Open nad browse My PC ALL icons are changed correctly.

why?

Later I'll Post a screenshot....... why I cant post it?

Forum Rules:
You may not post attachments

also i have notice the sometime i have to the repair tab in Microangelo for them to change after that they all change no problems !!

I NEED HELP QUICK!!!

could someone pls tell me where the original shell32.dll is supposed to be? I think i cut it instead of copying it and couldn't run XP on startup.. EAGERLY WAITING FOR YOUR REPLY!!

Re: I NEED HELP QUICK!!!

Originally posted by destinywaste
could someone pls tell me where the original shell32.dll is supposed to be?

\windows\system32 should be what you need.

Thnx! I should be more careful when dealing with dll files :D

X:\window\system32

in the folder optian check show hidden file and folder just in case

use winrar to make a self extracting file of the shell32.dll file just to be safe i did hurts noting

OK i followed the steps and changed my hard drive icon...

Opening my computer it shows the drive like its supposed to....

i open up explorer.exe like (windows key+ E) and it shows a windows file icon.

help!!!!

Icon request!!!

Could you send me that MOHAA icon the one from ur Genny desktop
could u send it or at least say where i can download it...
So the MOHAA icon please????
Tnx 4 that awesome tutorial,
So email me here!!!!

:D Why Do You Drink And Drive When You Can Smoke And Fly:p

Re: Icon request!!!

Originally posted by AcidBurN
Could you send me that MOHAA icon the one from ur Genny desktop
could u send it or at least say where i can download it...
So the MOHAA icon please????
Tnx 4 that awesome tutorial,
So email me here!!!!

Too lazy too email, so here are the icons you asked for. There are two mohaa's here, and two CS's... Actually, I'll attach a screenshot...

mavis

gameicons.jpg

Re: Re: Icon request!!!

Tnx man for the icons and that really cool tutorial and your wallaper (foam) cant live without it!!!!!!!

Re: Less instructions

Originally posted by firestarter
Well you could do all that stuff, or you could just
get a program that will do it for you:D

thanks for the tip firestarter.

There have actually been several posts throughout the forum about the e-Icons program, and another one I think... anyway, I for one don't like to have unneccessary programs running or installed on my machine, although I'm sure some of the other readers might prefer an easier approach to icon replacement. :) My philosophy is, if I can do it myself...

thanks again though - I might even get around to checking it out syslef, sooner or later ;)

mavis

I'm not sure what your last post had to do with this this thread, but I'll play along.

Showing off my system? Sure, I guess that's part of it - having upgraded from my old 950MHz Athlon, I was pretty excited when I built my new system back in November. Mainly though, since I was frequenting several forums at the time with hardware sections, and since I hadn't had any difficulty at all getting my system running, I was trying to help people with similar configurations. It got real old real fast having to type my system specs for each and every person who asked. Then there were some friends of mine back in AZ who were curious about new setup - since they were knew about xp-erience.org, I figured it would be easiest to just use the same sig here as I was using elsewhere.

Computers get old in a day? Yeah, I agree. so I guess I am pretty proud of the fact that I've had my system running like this since November - having a faster AthlonXP than commercially available (for almost five months) is pretty cool. Does it need more RAM?DVD-burner/bigger HDD? Sure, lol - too bad I don't have wads of cash popping out of my a$$, or I'd probably upgrade right now.

Anyway, no need to be a dick about it. :)

mavis

First of all let me say that Mavis is a ICON GENIUS!!!!!
After some work, I've finally got a desktop that I can be somewhat happy with. I used to be the user with no icons on the desktop, but after seeing the new icons out there and what you can do with them, I had to have them. Microangelo 5.5 icon software is my choice, didn't really try the others, but the software is sooo easy to use. (Right click icon, choose appearance and bam!!!) Thanks again ICON GOD!!!

Still a NewB to the forum, so I guess I'm not aloud to post my desktop for you all :(

thanks for the props man, I love hearing when people are able to customize their setup like I have... it looks so much better when you've got phat icons on the desktop!! :)

Also, the only way to show your desktop in this forum is to host it elsewhere, and link to it - we decided to limit attachments here because icon libraries can be huge, and would place a massive strain on the servers. But if you host it elsewhere, just link to it in your post, or if it's a small pic, you can use the
tags to display it in your message body.

:)

mavis

stuck

hey mavis nice tutorial bro, but it would be better if it actually worked for me... Ive read this whole thread like 30 times and i am positive i have done everything right. Ive read ppls problems and how they solved it too. I did every step 100% right except i dont got filelist.xml anywhere in my pc even with SHOW ALL FILES and UNHIDING system files :( can u tell me what the problem might be? Im trying to replace the internet explorer icon ony my desktop. The program icon, not the shortcut :)

well I'm sorry you're having problems with that step, I checked the tutorial (the one I linked to, here), and it said to browse to your "%systemroot% >system32>Restore" folder - mine was there, and so was everyone else's, so far... Is there a chance you may have erased it??? Sounds strange, I wish i had a better answer for you but that part of the process is the part I know the least about, I just followed the steps in the other tutorial...

:( sorry man... - Anybody else?

mavis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back