Great Free Programs

reshacker

I don't think anyone has posted this app yet. Very useful to hack away at xp graphics!!

ResHacker

Renamer

Just wanna say that this is a great thread, and yes, AdShield IS the best popup/spam/ad/whatever blocker there is. :D

I use this renaming program all the time for renaming mass amounts of mp3s. It's quite good.

Renamer

AVG Free, and good Antivirus program

Power Menu A cool little prog that takes up almost no resources, and adds Minimize to Tray, Always on Top, Pritory, and (XP/2K only) transparency to every program on the taskbar. (Only problem is it doesn't work w/ grouping in XP)

you guys should try a proxy popup blocker called proximitron, if you have 20 minutes to go through the help file and configure it, it works like a charm. It even blocks a good bit of banner ads.

I'm VERY satisfied with AdShield, it blocks everything I want it to, and nothing I don't want it to - it's perfect. :eek:

Originally posted by dealer
found a better download free program star , has all the pro features without charging for it...read about it here

Hey Dealer, I tried the StarDownloader. Seems to work fairly well. I was using DAP, but I don't like the ads. It also began downloading without applying proper file associations to the program. Even tried FlashGet for awhile.

I'm a "newbie", so when looking for programs I tend to stick with the 'simple, but effective' ones. My motto is 'Keep it simple stupid!". So, thanks for the hint about Star....DAP is getting the old 86.

There's a cool little program called Registry Robot, available from PC Magazine, which can change several different registry settings with just the click of a button (and also undo them just as easily).
I've been using this program for awhile, and it works wonderfully. An example of some of the things it can change? Rename recycle bin, remove icons from the desktop, change the location of special folders (I used this to move 'my documents' to another partition), find your xp cd-rom key, increase icon cache, increase number of simultanious downloads, turn off error reporting, and tons more.
Give it a try, you can download it from here.

A cool proggy ...

Here is a cool one that I just found out about today.

It's called Dead Man's Switch .. get it here http://daisyman.arsware.org/dms/

Say you unexpectadly die today, you can have it do a whole number of preassigned things. Works on a timer and if you dont reset the timer, then it executes the program. Pretty cool idea. Check it out.

i know i'm gona piss people off, but mandrake linux(peter pingus!!!) is awsome, and free to download on there site.
i'm sorry, but nothing is cooler then copying 450megs in 10 seconds! that much takes a couple minutes in windows, plus, no activation, and no big brother watching over you...
beat that bill

hey wyr...dirk beat you to that post, wayyyyyback at the beginning...:eek:

ok, pretty good benchmark tool...simple, goooood.

Free Benchmark tool

here

well then, i was trying to ilaborate on his comment, why its good...
i would say swat it as an anti virii prog, sandra benchmark is a great alround benchmarking tool, and winamp, with the movie plugin, is an awsome multimedia setup. if your using an nvidia card, and you have some extra old vid cards and monitors, setting up nview and multimonitors is really easy, my 98/linux rig has 2, soon to be 3 with the help of a voodo3.

Okay, here goes:

1. Over att SysInternals.com (see complete url below) they got an extensive program archive with a lot of great system tools! Give it a try...

They've got registry tools (for example real-time monitors), file-tools, hd-tools , debuggers, cpu-tools, performance tools an much more! Pretty much everything on the site is opensource and everything is freeware. Almost every utility is below 100Kb, and most of them are below 50Kb too! Yay!

Their archive covers both Win9x/Me and Win2000/XP/NT utilities (one linux too).

As I said, give it a try!

http://www.sysinternals.com

Hope you like it!

2. WinKey , a small utility that let's you customize your Win key, to add shortcuts. Like Win+N for Notepad or similar. You can decide all for yourself!

Get at http://www.copernic.com/winkey/

3. Startup Control Panel by Mike Lin. Controls all startup types, the registry, shortcuts and more.

Get at http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

4. DAMN NFO Viewer is what I think the best nfo-viewing utility out there. Gives you all the original DOS character in a handy Notepad-like interface.

Get at http://www.damn.to/nfoviewer.html

exprosus...this is a great post, excellant little prgys to play around with...thanx

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back