Great Free Programs

Pro/Desktop is a really good CAD program, up there with AutoCAD etc as far as functions go, and quite easy to learn.
It can be gotten for free from
http://www.ptc.com/products/desktop/

sorry if this has been posted in the thread already, haven't looked through it...yet

Firewalls

Hi all.
Been lurking on this thread for a couple of days now and have enjoyed all of your input. If I had any that were not posted, I would certainly add my two cents. :D

Can anyone tell me which firewall they prefer between Sygate and Zone Alarm and why? Been using Zone Alarm, but I've been hearing more and more about Sygates program.

Thanks!

aquaman.jpg

Hi Diligent
I started using Sygate, but then switched to ZA, 'cause all the reviews I ever read claimed that it beats them all (including the non-free ones, such as Norton's).

Unfortunately, I didn't keep the links. But if you do a search on Google, you'll certainly hit some review/compâre sites and see what I mean.

:)

Thanks Ram

I appreciate the info and I'll look for qualified reviews.

:D

I have another question for anyone who would oblige:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to install a new boot screen. When I try to overwrite the existing ntoskrnl.exe, it keeps replacing itself instead of overwriting with the new file. I know this is a little off topic, but I thought I'd inquire nonetheless.

Many thanks.
aquaman.jpg

Re: Thanks Ram

Originally posted by Diligent1
I appreciate the info and I'll look for qualified reviews.

:D

I have another question for anyone who would oblige:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to install a new boot screen. When I try to overwrite the existing ntoskrnl.exe, it keeps replacing itself instead of overwriting with the new file. I know this is a little off topic, but I thought I'd inquire nonetheless.

Many thanks.
aquaman.jpg

Try this tweak I found. I found it to be easier and less time consuming then having to reboot into safe mode.
File Protection Tweak

Alternative to Ctrl-Alt-Del

I realize this is an XP forum, but if you're like me, I have other machines with Win98SE. Being an avid gamer, I found it extremely annoying in Win98SE to close all my TSRs before jumping on a server. I ran across this simple app which gives you a one-button click to end all of them at once, while protecting any that you want/need to keep active...most notably, explorer and systray. The program is aptly named EndItAll. I am using the original, however information on "EndItAll 2" can be found here.

p0_p0

Taskbar fader

Hey guys ... something interesting to liven up your desktops ... :p

Its a Taskbar fader that makes your taskbar translucent ... its animated and you can set the level of transparency too. Check it out!

Startup Delayer

Just seen this on <ANOTHER WEB PAGE> looks pretty good, could help people with someproblems i've seen

"a great little program called 'Startup Delayer...' It lets you know what programs are trying to load and then gives you the capability - as the name implies - to space your start up programs in a manner that you prefer, thereby allowing an orderly start up.

This program is available from 'r2 studios' at http://r2.com.au along with some other interesting items and the other good news is that it's freeware."

here's a very small, very fasst little program that'll dfrag your page file on the next reboot, or on every reboot.

I'm not sure this'll speed performance, as I think your regular regimon of dfrag is sufficient, but this tool is not bad as a monitoring agent on the fragmentation of your page file.

My information so far is your page file is not defragged when you defrag, as it is in use... , so if you want to run this proggy, no harm, however, your page file should not be fragmented in the first place, unless you're like me, and you resized it by mistake, way back when all the experts (I'm guilty here also) were giving inapropriate advice, and told you to resize the thing...if you have not resized it, it will not become fragmented in use. If it dynamically resizes because you have the correct setting, but xp needed to keep you from crashin, and expanded it on it's own, not to worry, you will lose the expanded part of the pagefile at next boot, and not need defrag anyway.

Anyway, for monitering purposes, this prgrams cool, plus for those of us that listened to that old advice, this program is again, cool

give it a shot....very small download

oh baby...x, and gonaads are gonna have a ball with this one...hey, guys, when you make stuff with this one, post it, and we'll all have copies of your work.

this proggy will let you create your own animations for your cursor...I'm lickin my chops

Pop-up stopper from panicware is a good program to use to block unwanted pop-ups.
Download it here. Panicware.com I have tried the non free version and personally I preferred the old free one because it blocked absolutely everything unless I told it to let one through. The latest version lets a bit more through unless you check "Aggressive Blocking"... or something like it... but that will block an Explorer window as well. Check it out... see what you think.

has this benn posted before?...crazy browser...combination of opera, and ie5

haven't tryed it yet, but lots of good reports...gonna try it now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back