Firebird Discussion

Perris: Look for "network" on the about:config page. It looks like this:

attachment.php

If you still don't see them, go to your profile directory, and create a new file called "user.js", then add the lines into that file, and save it.

Yes, it's one of those tweaks that I enabled right after I installed Firebird.
I'm told it does make a difference, but I've barely noticed, probably since the difference is just a fraction of a second on a good broadband connection. I haven't tried it on anything less than a 3mbit line (and now on a 24mbit connection)

I'm using those settings in Firebird and it does seem to "feel" faster.

*goes back to surfin pr0n* :p

:eek: Noooooooo shit... that loaded pretty quickly. :D

seems to me like one of you mozilla gurus can figur out a tweak so that importing ie favorites does not invert them

when I'm in power surf, I have to switch back to ie, and I don't havbe the time to re organize the mozilla bookmarks

Originally posted by gonaads
:eek: Noooooooo $h!t... that loaded pretty quickly. :D

Yeah, that did make a bit of difference. I'll take any increase in speed, even if it's a small one! :)

Anyone else noticing that the newer builds (Using 20031007 at the moment, which I think is 0.7-RC1) are sluggish?
I only have this page open at the moment, and it's taking 66,908KB of memory :confused:

Yes. I've noticed that. I'm still using the oct 1 build because of it. Plus TBE crashes the browser in the newer nightlies.

And I've also noticed a steady climb in memory usage with each new nightly. I seem to remember a few months ago, FB was using about half the RAM it is now.

Firebird 0.7 is expected to be released early next week.
For those that have been using the milestone 0.6.1 build rather than the nightlies, here is a summary of major changes from 0.6.1 to 0.7

* Advanced preferences panel
* Download/helper apps preferences panel
* Cookie whitelisting (through the new Cookie Exceptions window)
* New password manager
* Web panels (like Mozilla's sidebar panels)
* Alternate stylesheet support (through a status bar button)
* Close other tabs (tab context menu)
* Domain is shown for image blocking (image context menu)
* Send Page, Send Link, Send Image (various context menus)

* Send Page, Send Link, Send Image (various context menus)
That's so annoying when you mistakenly click it instead of save image.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Interesting test site:

http://developer.ximian.com/themes/icons/ooo-icons.html

ADSL 1500/128 kbps results:

IE XPSP2 -1633
5 seconds to connect, 24 seconds to load

Netscape 4.77
7 seconds to connect, 26 seconds to load

Anyone actually clock the load for moz or fire?

10 Mbit down, 1 Mbit up cable:

IE XPSP1:

2 seconds to connect, 15 seconds to load

FireBird:

1 second to connect, 13 seconds to load

Mozilla suite:

2 seconds to connect, 14 seconds to load

netscape:

3 seconds to connect, 14 seconds to load

Its pretty darn close here.

Just a tip for those using the nightlies with cookie whitelisting enabled:

There are only certain sites that I visit that really need to store persistent cookies on my computer (for example, NTFS stores my login info so that I don't need to login everytime I visit the page).

So what I do is add only the sites I want to the cookie whitelist (Tools>Options>Privacy>Cookies>Exceptions; enter the domain, and select "Allow")

I then check "Enable cookies," "For the originating website only," and "For the current session only"
This basically accepts cookies if any sites require them, but clears them all out (except for the whitelisted ones) when you close the browser window.
No more annoyingly useless, spyware-ridden ad-cookies...a small whitelist of "good" sites is better than a huge blacklist of "bad" domains, in my opinion. :)

Oooooh, nice. will look into that once FB is stable again (Using Mozilla 1.5 at the moment, takes less memory *runs away* :p)

Yeah, I don't find blacklists to be very efficient in any situation...cookies or email spam, since the list of "bad" domains just grows everyday. Bayesian filtering replaced email blacklists for me, and now cookie whitelisting is a god-send
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back