• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Firebird Discussion

#1
Just 2 rules this time:
1. No Flaming
2. Only talk about Firebird

This includes:
Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Nightlies, Features, Settings, preferences, support. All aspects of the browser, no comparing it to BrowserX, no belittling other browsers.

ANY derogatory, off topic, or flaming comments within this thread will be deleted without warning.
Post and thread title edited - NetRyder
 

chris

Free to Fly
#2
What aspects of the program do you want to talk about? Or are you just trying to throw a match into some dry straw to watch the fire burn?
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#3
I'm using a nightly, and it has an annoying (but quite useful in certain situations) Master Password feature, I welcome this feature, but for my use here at home, It's not needed, does anyone know of a way to disable it?
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#4
Originally posted by Chris
What aspects of the program do you want to talk about? Or are you just trying to throw a match into some dry straw to watch the fire burn?
Nightlies, Features, Settings, prefernces, support. All aspects of the browser, no comparing it to BrowserX, no belittling other browsers.

ANY derogatory, off topic, or flaming comments within this thread will be deleted by me without warning.
 

chris

Free to Fly
#5
I use Firebird for home use, not touched IE in a while and considering up until about 3 months ago i hadnt used anything but IE this is good :)

I've never tried the nightlies, just stick to the public releases as they do the job i want it to do.

I know my first reply may have been a bit harsh, but you know its going to happen. It always does...
 

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
#6
You should try the nightlies, just run them from a folder on your desktop or something, then if you find that particular nights build to be stable and you like the new features (if there are any ;) ) you can copy it over your main FB install.

My setup at the moment is FireBird nightlies as main browser, and Mozilla 1.4 as a backup, as I basically install the nightlies over my main install if there are ever features missing or it's a nastily un-stable build, I can just use Mozilla for a day or so until the next build is ready :)
 
#10
Using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+

No noticeable problems. Working really smooth. :)
As for your problem SPeedY, I'm not sure how the master password feature can be disabled, but I'll have a look around and try to find out.
 

Perris Calderon

Moderator
Staff member
Political User
#11
excellant thread, with excellant rules...I'm using a build that xistance sent to me...diging it too

netryder and gonaads helped me get it configured to what I'm used to
 

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political User
#14
I've been using Firebird for about a month, and I'm happy with it overall. It will still take me a while to get completely comfortable with it though since I've been using IE since Windows95 was introduced. Since I imagine there are some Firebird experts that will be looking at this thread, maybe I can get help with a couple of issues that will better my experience with the browser.

1) I can't get Flash to work. I followed the detailed instructions that are on the main site, which I believe gave several different options for installing flash. Nevertheless, I couldn't get it to work any of the ways I tried it.
2) The cookie handling is inconvenient. When I tell IE that I don't want cookies from pogo.com, it blocks all cookies from that domain and never asks again. In Firebird though, after I block a cookie from pogo.com, it will later ask about play.pogo.com, play23.pogo.com, etc. Is this a feature in Firebird that will improve as the browser matures more, or is there something I can do differently to handle the cookies?

Thanks for any input on these topics. I'm sure that I will stick with Firebird in the long-run. And thanks to those of you who got me interested and helped me starting out. :)
 
R

renakuajo

Guest
#15
i love it, i'm using one of the builds (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030903 Firebird/0.6.1+) no problem so far.....the only drawback i cant use the theme that i like it Umicons
 
#16
hey. wait. firebird hasn't even reached 1.0 yet has it. last time i checked it was 0.65 or something. that means WE CAN EXPECT A LOT MORE. we should all go donate some money or time to the organization. i actually try to help, by reporting bugs. and rarely giving donations.

just a thought.
 
#17
Originally posted by muzikool
1) I can't get Flash to work. I followed the detailed instructions that are on the main site, which I believe gave several different options for installing flash. Nevertheless, I couldn't get it to work any of the ways I tried it.
2) The cookie handling is inconvenient. When I tell IE that I don't want cookies from pogo.com, it blocks all cookies from that domain and never asks again. In Firebird though, after I block a cookie from pogo.com, it will later ask about play.pogo.com, play23.pogo.com, etc. Is this a feature in Firebird that will improve as the browser matures more, or is there something I can do differently to handle the cookies?
To block cookies from subdomains
If you're using the 0.6.1 milestone build, I suggest downloading the 20030903 nightly from here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/2003-09-03-08-trunk/MozillaFirebird-win32.zip
It contains some feature enhancements not yet available in the stable release. Note that you must switch back to the default Firebird theme. It's a bug in the latest nightlies, and should be fixed soon.
Just unzip the folder and let it overwrite your existing files.
Then click Tools>Options. Go to the Privacy tab, click the + sign next to Cookies, and click the Exceptions button. In the address box type *.pogo.com and click Block. That will block all cookies from pogo.com as well as all it's subdomains.

To install Flash player
Download the Flash player installer from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/...sh/win95nt/6.0.79.0/flashplayer6installer.exe
Then make sure you close the browser. Run the installer, and when asked which browser you want to install it for, click the "Other Browser..." button. Navigate to the MozillaFirebird\plugins folder and hit OK. Then click Install.
It's worked everytime for me without a problem.

Hope that helps. :)
If you have any problems, or other questions, feel free to ask.
 
#18
Originally posted by punkandacoke
hey. wait. firebird hasn't even reached 1.0 yet has it. last time i checked it was 0.65 or something. that means WE CAN EXPECT A LOT MORE. we should all go donate some money or time to the organization. i actually try to help, by reporting bugs. and rarely giving donations.

just a thought.
Helping people solve any problems they might be having, introducing the browser to those who don't know about it, and testing almost every nightly build is my contribution to the Mozilla Foundation.
Firebird holds a lot of promise, and we can only expect it to get better as time goes on. :)
 
#20
Originally posted by SPeedY_B
I'm using a nightly, and it has an annoying (but quite useful in certain situations) Master Password feature, I welcome this feature, but for my use here at home, It's not needed, does anyone know of a way to disable it?
SPeedY: What nightly build are you using? If you're using a build prior to 20030828, an update might solve the problem.

The Master password feature was enabled in the 20030812 build. However, a change was made to the system in the 20030828 build, whereby if the user has not set a master password and wants to use the password manager, the master password is initialized to an empty string.
More about this on BugZilla here:
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217409

You could also try playing with the Master Password settings, by entering the following in the address bar:
chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul

Let me know how it goes... ;)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,016
Latest member
ernestrojasn