Error FREE PC Setup...

I agree entirely about PCW,they have a terrible reputation and its deserved.However they are just around the corner from me and even though i wouldn`t let any of them lay a finger on my computer,there is nothing wrong with going in to buy a product off the shelf that is exactly the same as i would get at any other store.
I do all my own work on my computer,so i dont have any service issues with PCW,so having said that what exactly are you getting at?:confused:

Just saying that maybe it wasnt the best place to look for a price comparison between AMD/Intel thats all.

Novetech.co.uk are currently advertising P4 1.7ghz for £160 inc VAT and an Athlon XP1700 for £113 inc VAT. Im only trying to point out that AMD chips do indeed give u 'more bang per buck', nothing more or less

pffieu, I've read it ALL.

Damn, it's like the never ending story...

DISCLAIMER:
the following text s purely my opinion, with a few facts. I don't know everything about Intel processors, or AMD processors. I owned a PII 600, now I own an AMD Thunderbird 900. I don't care what processor is better, I know mine pc kicks ass. And please, if you don't agree with my opinion, don't talk about my mother. :D

--- text starts here --- note: you have to read and agree to the disclaimer befor continuing --- :D

Check this:

I had a pentium, and I couldn't overclock it. That was a major set back. The heatsink took a lot of space in my case, which was a mini case. I won't talk about stability, coz it could be windows 98 or earlier versions of the proc.

I have an AMD now, overclocked from 800 to 1gig, with A LOT of extra cooling (2 blowholes on the side, a big fan in the front, two in the back, and two fans on the heatsink). I don't game for 48 hours, but RTCW for about 5-6 hours tops brings the temp to 58-60° C (summertime), idle temp is 28-30° C (summertime). I have no stability problems, nor wiith my thunderbird, nor with the VIA chipset. I'm an AMD man.

Now here it comes... Few months ago tomshardware did a proc test on amd's and pentiums: they were playing Q3 I think, and while playing they removed the cooler. 2 AMD's were tested, and two Pentiums, each pair had different types of processor.

Both AMD's went up in smoke, together with the mobo's. One pentium went up in smoke without destroying the mobo, one pentium just stopped, but after restarting, and resetting the cooler, the proc was OK.

Now, the test was a little x-treme... But when your cooler fails? My bios shuts down the pc if the fan speed drops under 2000. Thats a feature to prevent damage.

I guess both proc's have their adventages. Intel is better in math they say, and amd is good @ graphics... choice is yours.

Anywayz, just my two cents, and if you guys want, I can look for the movie of the TH test, and post it somewhere.

Greetz

Lukas

Intel schmentel

Okay I'm gunna drop my 2 cents hee as well, since I've been reading these boards and haven't really been posting.

I've run both systems Intel and AMD, and granted I did originally think I totoaly lucked out with my 1st Amd since i kept getting random shutdowns. But that was before I started doing tech support. In my years granted it's not a whole lot compared to some AMD beats hands down over Intel for midrange to high end value per performance. Yes I know that intels are rated at a optimized Mhz off the line and AMD are rated higher as they are somewhat overclocked out of the box.

BUT, the same is done with cars, and right now that's the only analogy i can think of to explain it. Say intel puts out a car at 150hp and AMD does the same, both off the line. Now Intels is marked up to say 20g's while AMD's is put at 15. you ask why, cuz Intel knows it's though rated at 150hp can handle the stress of running say at 170hp with almost full effeciency. Where as AMD put out there which in actuallity is 140hp supped up to 150hp and sold as 150hp engine.

The trick about this is. AMD, can still be supped up above 150 to say 200 with cost effeicient upgrades, without that much effort. where as in order to get the intel up to 200 you'll be paying some over priced certified expert near the same amount to get that same rating.

That's why Intel chips cost more. yes they are rated at say 1.2ghz and in theory can be overclocked, but in order to do so look what you have to buy

1) $300 High-end mobo
2) $400 High-end RAM 2x128mb
3) (not sure but likely a $200 Intel approved and certifed case with likely a 400 watt power supply
4) Countless hrs trying to figure out how and where to overclock the system say 8 just for fun)

TOTAL=$900 and a full work day or weekend(without gaming or whatevr it is you do on your system), and maybe a 1.4ghz system

Now look at AMD to get 1.2ghz

1)$100 cpu
2)$120 mobo
3)$14 fan
4)$100 RAM 2*128mb
5)$150 server case with 435 watt Power supply
6) 2hrs to assemble, pencil the processer, load hardware, set BIOS, and load XP
7) I'll even add 1.5 hrs to tweak the os and run updates

TOTAL=$484 and 3hrs of work half of which is done in the load functioning os, which running at say 1.9ghz

So what does that tell you, yeah you need alittle extra cooling but look at what you get out of it. 500 extra Mhz, enough to almost go build another system left in your wallet and your gamking by noon.

Oh and if the AMD scenario sounds outrageous, gimmie a few days and to find them all and i'll send you a copy of the reciepts.

Bottom line INTEL is for companies that don't wanna take a chance on shit EVER failing, and if they do the manufacture has a gazilion contengency plans for them and a buttload of warranty options

AMD is for the rest of the world, even if you don't everclock and just needa basic system, it's better and has the same warranty as Intel, and if your overcloaking, well that speaks for itse;f just look at the tons aof websites, AMD are the best and easiest to overclock, they werebuilt that way for a reason.

It's a David and Goliath affair and Goliath is about to get the schmack down.

Thank you and have a good evening

Stepping off the AMD soapbox!!!

BTW the AMD i mentioned that crashed was due to a cracked MOBO and ancient SIMMs from and ancient packard bell 316SX

Funny how you claim to know all this and you still can not use proper english.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.....the pentium 4 gets very warm to....ever see the cooler on that thing?

I just came back to see this thread still up and running,what i cant understand is this.i dont know maybe im`e missing some thing but when i went to buy my computer,i bought a 1.8 pentium 4,because i knew it would do what i want and more,if i had wanted a 2.2 i would have bought a 2.2.Is it really all that important to see how far you can extend a cpu,like its some sort of competition,i can get my cpu to go faster than your cpu,i dont get it at all,as i said i must be missing something.To me its still a matter of personal preference.My first computer was a K611 amd.and it was a great wee computer,for what it was.Then i had a pentium 3 700 which i built myself and that was fine for what it did,now i have one that i know will fill my needs for the next 3 years or so,and im`e happy with it.
The thing is though,if i had bought an AMD xp1800,which i nearly did btw,it would have been a cracking machine and im`e sure it would have done everything i wanted.
What i fail to understand is why anyone would buy a machine that doesn`t do what they want,just cause they know they can overclock it?:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back