Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

this is for anyone working on a comunity computor...at work especially, and probably at home

Windows keeps track of files you open, programs you run, and the sites you visit. windows does this is so the documents option on the Start menu lets you pick documents or programs you just opened...my box is private, so I like this feature, but if you're on a comunity box, you should clear this list...then it'll be harder to figure out what you've been playin with.

right click start , properties, start menu, customize, clear list.

about the 10th tweak in original post

Is the attachement shows what you call a balloon tip? Cause my EnableBalloonTip is correctly set to 0 and it still show up...

If this is not a balloon tip, how is it called and how can i remove it cause it slows the scrolling speed.

[Edit] Forget it, it's a Info tips and i set ShowInfoTips to 0 :D

Here's the easisest xp tweak you'll ever see, and it's something you must do for xp to run correctly...

everybody that runs xp, must, every so often, do nothing.

tha'ts right...for those of you that turn your box off as soon as you're finished with it...shame...xp's a women, and wants you to at least make believe you're not gonna leave right after you have your way...

The Dynamic Nature of Windows XP

Windows XP offers excellent overall performance—in part because it dynamically adjusts itself based upon individual use. It needs time on it's own to do this.

This article addresses some of the dynamic tuning capabilities of Windows XP, and outlines steps you should take in order to get consistent benchmark results. It provides information on how to avoid System Restore checkpoint activity during benchmark runs.

Introduction

The Windows XP operating system achieves excellent performance in part by dynamic adjustments that it makes in response to how a system is utilized. In particular, many adjustments are made when the system first runs following setup and when newly installed applications are used for the first time. These adjustments greatly influence the performance of the system. Unfortunately, the dynamic nature of Windows XP can make benchmarking more of challenge than with previous Windows versions.

Windows XP is a dynamic, self-tuning operating system, and has built-in features that support this both at setup and during continued use. As a consequence, the system’s performance after having the opportunity to tune itself will be different from its performance when it boots up for the first time or when it executes a particular application for the first time.

Disk Efficiency Optimizations
The physical placement, or layout, of files on the disk can have a considerable effect on performance, up to 10% for normal use. Windows XP observes file usage patterns as the system is used. If deemed necessary, Windows XP will adjust the file layout at three day intervals. By placing files that are referenced together near each other on the disk, and towards the more dense outer edge of the disk, seek distances are reduced which results in shorter seek times and improved performance. The performance benefit of placing files becomes increasing important as the size of the disk increases.

The files moved for more efficient layout are also kept contiguous. Windows XP does not intentionally fragment files as was done by some earlier versions of Windows.

Even though the disk layout optimization does insure some files will be defragmented, it is not a complete substitute for fully defragmenting the disk. Users should still defragment their drives regularly. The built-in Windows XP defragmentation program understands the file layout directives and will position the files if they aren’t already placed properly. However, it will not update the layout file with new information gathered in the last three days. Without manual intervention, the layout file, %windir%\Prefetch\Layout.ini, will only be updated once every three days. The contents of the Layout.ini file can be viewed with Notepad.Boot Prefetching

Windows XP speeds up system boot by observing the code and data needed each time the system is booted and prefetching the necessary file contents early in the boot process. This prefetching is not done until the third boot of the system, when sufficient information is available to make the prefetching most effective. The files observed during system boot will be used in the disk layout process mentioned above. Additional information on the prefetcher and the Windows XP boot process can be found at Fast Boot/Fast Resume for the Windows Platform.

Application-Launch Prefetching
Windows XP also uses prefetching when launching applications. The files and the contents of the files accessed by each new process are observed and recorded. No prefetching can be done for the first launch of an application, so first launches are often considerably slower than subsequent launches. About 85% to 90% of the improvement is realized after just one launch of an application, with the remaining speed improvement coming after the system has had an opportunity to adjust the disk layout with information specific to this application

in other words, every once in a while, you gotta let xp do it's thing on it's own....according to this ms document, optimally, that'll be every three days or so

I just turned my animation back on, just to see what you guys were up to...holy fujijism, someone's got to mail me that animation progy

bypass the recycle bin

Here's a keyboard shortcut you might like – how to permanently delete files
1. Highlight the file you want to delete (click on it once)
2. press shift & delete.
3. press return or enter
WARNING make sure you really don’t want that file because it bypasses the recycle bin

that's a good keyboard shortcut...I love keyboard shortcuts...

here's something pretty cool if you didn't know it, it's a mouse shortcut!

see that blue tool bar up top?...looks pretty worthless right?. ha, it actually does do something, and your ginna love this...never aim your mouse at the maximize box again!!! double click in that blue toolbar...pufff maximize...excellant

Nice 1 Dealer did you know that blue bar can also can also close the page, just right click on it for a menu, but the safest way to close a page is hit file @ the top left go down down to close & hit that. I got this info from looking @ what subseven trojan was all about, if a malicious user has control of your desktop the only way to close the page is file & close.

DELETE.....forever

Of course, for true deleting, you could always use something like Zdelete. www.zdelete.com

:eek: !!! Beware, using this program deletes files by overwriting to U.S. department of defence standard DoD 5220.22-M !!! :eek:

GraLk

Paranoid

Ideal if your expecting a visit from the FBI

Useful Tweak

Not sure if anyone allready posted this but Browsing the fourms I run into alot of questions conserning the deletion of the Xerox, MovieMaker etc... many suggest going into safe mode and removing them this however never worked for me. Go here for detailed instructions on how to disable SFC so you are able to delete these files *CAUTION* this allows you to delete pretty much anything be careful what you delete.... Always backup first!

:eek:I wonder what destruction this will cause:eek:

mitch, welcome to the board, and you did it with style...that's an excellant addition to this thread

Hello

Hi dealer, thanks for the warm welcome.
This is an excellent thread, contains some very good tweaks.

I also have a small question; I posted this question in another thread but produced no favorable results.

I'm stuck with a junky 56k CompuServe connection *which was actually quickened up a little by the tweaks you posted in this thread* but I never use CompuServe to browse so it just takes up taskbar space. I want to try to find a way to make it minimize to the System Tray without the use of a background program, possibly a registry tweak like the one for outlook? I've been searching for a solution but no luck.

Time to put on the thinking cap! :D

thats a great idea Mitch never would of crossed my mind, I've got the same problem with AOL. Can it be done Dealer ?????

well mitch, I had the same problem with netzero, and that was the paid version...I couldn't minimize the tool bar...there is a program called beware of the dog...this gets rid of isps tool bars, but the site is going down, and the download is corrupt...go to their forum, dog forum, and post your problem, but first try downloading the zip on your own...

Well I don’t really have any problem with banners on CompuServe I just want to minimize it to the system tray instead of the task bar so it will be out of the way while I browse using IE6

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
thats a great idea Mitch never would of crossed my mind, I've got the same problem with AOL. Can it be done Dealer ?????

hold it, aol is easy, just minimize the browser, and open ie from your start, or your programs...when I used aol, I made an ie shortcut...thenwhen aol loged on, I just minimized, and opened a no aol toolbar ie...

now it just occured to me, my aol was 7.0, so if you are not able to minimize the aol toolbar, then upgrade the dialer to the latest version...then, you can get rid of everything aol when browsing

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back