Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

Well, I am going back home tomorrow, and I want to get a few of these on while I still have wideband access, so here's another one everyone should use, and it'll save alot of time...

I get tired of going thru menus to find the programs Iuse every day, so I attach keyboard shortcuts to them, and it's very easy, and you'll love it every time you use it.

This'll work with windows shortcuts, and not with program icons. And the shortcut must be stored either on the desktop or in the Programs menu Windows'll ignore your instructions completely if the shortcut is stored anywhere else. Also, the key combination has to consist of a letter or a number, andleast two of the following three keys: Ctrl, Alt, Shift.

It's simple, and a great shortcut...right-click on the shortcut icon, hit properties. Hit the general tab, click in the Shortcut key box... press the key combination you want to use,you can press only a letter or number, and Windows adds Ctrl+Alt to the key assignment...hit OK, and you're there. I've got the key combination Ctrl+Alt+C to the Windows Calculator...very, cool, cuz now from any program, all I have to do is press those keys to and pow,pops up the calculator.

Here's a question...I've been told that without a third party program, I can customize a few windows key shortcuts, But I don't know how...anybody tell me how to do this?

Like I said, I'm posting as much as I can here today, cuz I'll be gone for awhile;

If you don't have google as your default search, make it so by hitting search from the toolbar in the browser, and then hitting customize... now ms didn't include the google as an option in some versions, so download the google taskbar here

Hi dealer,
if you download and install Micro$oft's Intellitype keyboard drivers, it will give you the option to alter the Hot Keys if I remember rightly.

Oops, sorry didn't read your post correctly. But if you did download and install the drivers, then take a snapshot of your registry. Then change the Hot Keys, then take another snapshot of the registry and compare the two. It may show you what needs to be changed in the registry to get the desired effects.

Hey, nobody here anymore ? :(

Anyway, here's the latest version of the ZIP (also sent it to waddy).
It's got a few more tweaks/tips I gathered around and that seemed useful.

If you know anything I should add, please tell (here or by pm)

Good day to all !

just downloaded that zip, ram, thanx...I'm away for awhile, and stuck with dialup...so, ai can't make too many posts, dialup drives me nuts...don't know how you guys do it...anyway, came up with somewhat of a dialup tweak.

Now that I'm dialup, I'm fed up with opening the Dial-Up Networking folder every time I want to get connected. Here's a quick alternative:

I Open the Dial-Up Networking folder and click the icon I use to access the Internet. I dragged (drug?) that icon over to the Start button and droped it. Windows created a shortcut to my dial-up in my Start menu. Next time I want to dial, I just click the Start button and the connection icon at the top of the menu.
See if that makes dialing up easier

Hey, that .zip file is a good initiative, but...

...it lacks one thing. A bit of layout... not to be rude, but...

Yeah, I thought about that, but the file is sooo loong...

nah, okay. I'll do it!

Go, eproxus, go! lol

You're right, it needs some formatting work

maybe a better outline, a little organization

PM me when you're tired of it maybe i'll take over

As I'm updating the layout, I thought it would be nice to have some credits. Give me a list of names! Everybody involved should be included...

hmm would be hard for you to find them

It has been said and spoken before, for you to give credit to the orginal people that actually thought of it, would be hard. unless you know it as a fact.

but nice to see you are going to put some effort to it, would like to see the final out come....give me a shout if you need a hand.

well, personally, I'd love to find out some of the real names, mine is perris, so if I get credit, I'd love it to see both,...as i said guys, don't be shy, I'd love to meet everybody's real name...lol

Sweet! Awesine people out there!

nice screen shot, of the new tweak file.....good job.

Device Manager shortcut

Awhile back I discovered this keyboard shortcut to the device manager: windows+pause keys...Ermm, since I poke around the dev mgr alot, this method is quick 'n handy...

Question: Is there a way to set XP to shut OFF automatically, and not sit at the 'It's now safe to turn off your computer'?...like with win98 ya click 'shutdown' and it turns off, w/out needing to hit the power button...I've looked around for a setting to do this but so far no luck...

Thanks.... C.

Oh btw, this forum is truly awesome!

Also here , here , here , and here .

Most importantly, don't forget to use the search function made available here .

I often wish the owners of this forum would redesign the menu to make the forum search button a lot more visible. It would really cut down on repetitive posts and make Jewelzz happier, too.

btw Carol thanks for that tip; I've never used keyboard shortcuts much but that's a real handy way to get to System Properties. Keep 'em coming!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back