Matt's Upgrade Thread

I don't plan on overclocking the system so I don't need something like that. I just need a good, quiet heatsink for my processor. I understand that something of that nature would be really quiet but it's too much for what I need.

madmatt said:
No water cooling. But that ZALMAN looks nice. I'll take a closer look at it later/
I have the all-copper version of the same HSF on my Athlon64. Keeps it nice and cool, and it's very quiet. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. :)

NR, could you provide a link to the product you have? Please?

It says, "DO NOT USE ON LGA775 CPU"

madmatt said:
It says, "DO NOT USE ON LGA775 CPU"
Didn't notice that, but I still think that is what he has.

Remember, he's got an AMD= Socket 939.

I think I will go with the stock cooler for now, for a couple reasons.

Firstly, to see how much room I have to play with.
Secondly, to see how cool the stock cooler keeps it (even the model I pointed out said it didn't make much of a difference on Intel chips).

Yeah, Intel chips run relatively warm anyways. Good luck with the new build, hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Now, if I could only have the chance to sit and use it, that would be great :(

hehe, first off, is it my imagination, or were these threads all moved into a different forum here :D I thought they were in general hardware, but having gone without sleep and being on caffine pills now, my mind could be playing tricks on me... ? ? ? :eek:

Second, if you don't plan on OCing, would the stock heatsink suffice for you? It might save you a few dollars if it's suitable. I myself went with a Swiftech coper based heatsink, actually this one:

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=649

However, if the Zalman is estimated to be over-kill, then mine definitely would be. Actually I do OC, but when I first got it, I didn't plan to, just wanted to keep my temps relatively cool.

/me not like CPU temps in the 50 degree C range, and prefer them < 45 C :D

Unless the stock is loud, it would seem it might fit the bill for what you're wanting...

Since I don't plan on overclocking I am going to go with the stock heatsink and go from there. From what I've read the ZALMAN's are great but rather large. Since I am going with a small case I need to see how every thing is going to fit.

The next thing I need, a good mouse pad. For the past two months I have been using the current issue of Playboy for my mouse pad. Does anyone make round mouse pads anymore?

Here are some, though I don't know what you like

http://www.mousepadshop.com/round.htm

Here are some more minamalist (single color) mousepads. Round one's are second group down in each given thickness

http://www.bestblanks.com/mousepads.html

I just did a Google on round mouse pads, and got a number of links. I know I've seen 1 or 2 in the past... They're less common, but out there...

Here's the seach link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=round+mouse+pads&btnG=Google+Search

Matt, keep in mind that Net got his cpu for free.

This automatically implies his e-pen0s is smaller than ours so I would not take advice from him :smoker:

:D

Those zalman flower heat-sinks are decent but even the stock AMD style cooler with heatpipes does a good job (if speed regulated).

Good point Saz. I didn't take that into consideration.

Thank you.

I have a laser mouse, don't need a mouse pad.

Get the Logitech MX1000, now :smoker:

I have it, the Bluetooth version. But I don't want to scratch my desk.

Get a piece of glass, that should work wonders ;) :p

On a serious note, GOOD call making a new forum :)

The Playboy works well for now. I know which mouse pad I am going to buy when I make the final purchase for this project.

Is the Antec NeoHE 500 a good choice for a PSU? Or does Antec make a better PSU?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back