Matt's Upgrade Thread

Saz, so which do you like more? The P150 or P160? I love the P180 but it is way too large for the spot I put my computer in.

I have not used the p-150 so I honestly can't say.

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?t=77392&highlight=p160

That's my "review" for the case.

It came with 2 stealth drives although I don't use em.

The p150 is newer and a little closer to what you're looking for. If you can pick it up locally and then, if you are not satisfied, return for no penalty, that might be a good route to go.

There are other cases out there in the size range but get a name-brand. They typically have some features others don't. Features that make all the difference between a decent and a crap case.

I compared reviews for the P150 and P160W on NewEgg. The only bad thing people have to say about the P150 is the PSU (I plan on buying a 500w PSU anyway). There were more bad things said about the P160W.

So I think I am going to give that case a try.

The only real bad thing about the p160 is the internal design when initially setting it up. And that only affects noobs.

:)

The case design is excellent other than a few quirks. Same for the p150. The 180 is taller and occasionally needs extension cables so thats an iffy thinger

A lot of people say the integrated cable management system in the P150 is awesome. Same with the hard drive suspension system.

Sazar said:
The only real bad thing about the p160 is the internal design when initially setting it up. And that only affects noobs.

:)

The case design is excellent other than a few quirks. Same for the p150. The 180 is taller and occasionally needs extension cables so thats an iffy thinger
Saz, that is a great review on the case, I may re-think which case I need as well.

When you mention annoyances that only affect noobs, are you referring to the fact that you had to remove the other side panel, thumbscrews inside, and the front panel to install the optical devices? Is there anything other than that?

After reading that review, that case sounds amazing. I think I am really going to get it :)

Does anyone get Newegg coupons in their email? Newegg has the best prices to finish my project but free shipping would be nice. Or money off would be even better.

Thank you.

One of my friends bought the same case and bent the side panel and ripped the front panel. So yes, be careful :D

I've had a few people PM me concerning the case so that makes me feel right good :cool:

It's a good case and even though its the oldest P series case, it is still a gem :cool:

I was tempted, ever so slightly, to go with the p180 but I am glad I stuck to my current baby.

madmatt said:
Does anyone get Newegg coupons in their email? Newegg has the best prices to finish my project but free shipping would be nice. Or money off would be even better.

Thank you.
I don't have that, but as I am building a system as well, I'm going with ZipZoomFly.

Most of the products are the same, if not cheaper, and they have free 2nd day FEDEX shipping for most of their stuff :)

Saz, thanks for the tips. I'm going to look over everything again before I make a final decision and I may go with that. Because of the special I linked to above, the Window model is actually cheaper atm :s

Almost every thing was cheaper at Newegg and they had every thing I needed (the case alone was $35.00 cheaper; after rebate). Two of the things I need are backordered at ZipZoomFly. Maybe by the time I am ready to order they will be in stock and I will take advantage of the free shipping.

Do you get coupons or any thing for ZipZoomFly?

I don't think so, not from the normal channels. Then again, there is no harm in googling :)

Already tried that one. Right around $1500 to complete the project (depending on cost of shipping).

Not including the cost of cookies.

Mmmm... cookie :smoker:

What parts did you end up splurging on? (notice how close it sounds to spoogin :eek: )

I didn't press the checkout button last night. The case, PSU, MB, CPU, and RAM will have to wait a week or so more. I'm still trying to convince myself that this is what I want.

The new Raptor drives have been shipped (finally). Those should be here on Friday.

I honestly don't need a test system that is better than most people's primary system so I don't know what I am going to do with the XPS.

I have homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert after my lunch.

I received my new WD Passport (120GB) and it is just what I wanted. Perfect for the job. Small/light enough to take back and forth, stays cool, and plenty of storage space. Great recommendation Derek.

I am days away from making the final purchase. I am still undecided over the case. And I also need a heatsink/cooling fan for the Intel Pentium D 950 processor. I've read that the stock cooler isn't good enough.

I am currently thinking the ZALMAN 9500 is going to do the trick. But I want to know, A.) is it necessary or will the stock heatsink be fine, B.) is there a better choice, and finally C.) will it fit okay in the Antec P150 case?

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

For years and years I have been using stock heatsinks without any problems

I am a little biased, but I simply will NOT go stock Heatsink with Intel. Especially with the 950, if you are investing that much in it you want to get a 3rd party heatsink.

The zalman is obviously the big daddy of LGA775 and other processors, but I think that may be overkill for you if you don't plan to OC, which I don't think that you will.

I do stick with Zalman when I get a non-stock HSF, because they put out such a solid product. I have used and had great results with this one recently:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118112

You should try water cooling, that would be sweet :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118111

No water cooling. But that ZALMAN looks nice. I'll take a closer look at it later/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back