Matt's Upgrade Thread

What is a "4-in-3 device"? Is ATX or BTX better? That still doesn't tell me if it includes the wiring or fans.

I hate you people with your awesome, expensive upgrading.

o___, one day my friend... one day. It hasn't always been this way for me.

Not sure what you are looking for specifically in wiring, but it does come with all the wires you need as any case does.

The "4-in-3" device Converts the 3 ×5.25” bay into a 4 ×3.5” HDD module with 12cm sleeve bearing cooling fan.

I think it comes with like 2 120mm fans, but not entirely sure. Here is a good review with lots of pics:

http://reviews.pcapex.com/cases/cooler_master_stacker_830_case.php

The case might be too big for me. It's huge compared to the XPS 400 case.

I think I might buy one. I have like a total of 12 80mm fans and they'e all driving me nuts - in the summer the drone of the A/C drowns everything out but last night I was listening to my computer .... all night long.

120mm is quiet and nice.

Consider buying one of the Antec P series cases. I have the P-160, the P-180 is the quieter brethren and there is like a p-170 or something else which is more like the XPS systems (not the same color though).

Are you definitely going Intel?

If so, you might as well go get a BTX setup (or one that can be converted to BTX).

Cover your bases.

I've always used Intel and ATI. I've never had a desktop or a notebook with AMD or NVIDIA.

I'll look at the Antec cases.

The P180 is nice, but only ATX.

Well, like I said, decide on the proc and once you have that squared away you can get the rest of the items.

Knock that one down first.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=82640#

bk640b_f.jpg
bk640b_i.jpg

Here is a decent BTX option IMO.

Not too massive but it has good airflow and I have had good success with Antec products.

Last edited:
Not bad. I liked the P180. But you're right, I have to figure out if I want Intel or AMD. Chances are I will go with an Intel processor.

What is the SRP on a high-end X2 processor?

Depends on how high you want to go.

The 4200+ is probably the lowest I would recommend. Probably looking at about $400 upto about $650 for the 4800+

The FX-60 is not worth the premium.

If you are looking to keep it for a while, anything you build will be fine, but you are likely going to be over-hauling everything next year or so. The stacker 830 is a great looking case and you can put virtually anything into it :)

Get the 4400+ or the 4800+ for the extra cache. Some people dont' care about the cache, but I would rather have my chunkeh cache than not :cool:

Last edited:
God damn you people.

I'm really wishing I didn't buy this Dell and built instead now :(

Hmmm, do I feel like putting it on eBay and building another, probably not.

So do I. The way I figure I wasted $2300 on the XPS 400 about five months ago.

I only spent about $700 on mine, but I am already regretting it because picking out the parts and building it is so fun :)

However, I can't go through the downtime right now, and the machine is pretty damn fast. I probably won't be extending the warranty to a 4th year though ;)

$2300. Thats high for an xps 400. You must have had all kinds of ridiculous options.

That was with tax. And the 2005FPW. You don't want to know what I've spent since.

Sitting and wondering if I can sell my PC and get my money back....hmm....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back