• I hope so, but not sure yet

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Wait to see how it functions in the "real world", then decide

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40476

The only way to run anything on the Iphone is via Safari on the Iphone itself. If you want to run those same programs on your PC, you need one that has Safari on it, until recently that meant Apple. To support the cross-platform apps Apple is building, they could either make them work with the other 97% of computers out there, or use the Iphone as a lever.

Guess what? It is trying to use the Iphone as a lever to push a new app dev platform onto PCs. Remember that little company that tried to do this last time? It was called Netscape or something if memory serves.

In any case, the launch of Safari is nothing more than a support platform to lessen the blow of a DRM infected and locked down Iphone platform. I think it will still blow, but that is just me, DRM is never a good thing, but fanbois being fanbois, they are too dumb to notice.

If you were thinking that Apple was trying to win people over with a third rate browser, think again, this is nothing more than saving the cost of a software CD in the Iphone box while spreading the disease.

How accurate is this?

Is the only way to use an iPhone (i.e. upload new content) exclusively through Safari? I know there was a discussion on this but I thought it was a kneejerk reaction.

Is this definitely the case? The crappy ol Safari is the only medium to communicate with the iPhone?

Wow. Any lawyers here who wish to assist me in formulating a lawsuit?

Not really sure, Sazar. My understanding is that all 3rd-party apps will be web apps utilizing AJAX or other Web 2.0 technologies. The fact that they are web apps means that on the iPhone you will use them with Safari -- it's the only web browser on the phone. That doesn't mean the apps will work exclusively on Safari, does it? That seems to be what's implied, but I don't see any evidence of it, yet. If that did turn out to be true then I would definitely have a problem with it.

How accurate is this?

Is the only way to use an iPhone (i.e. upload new content) exclusively through Safari? I know there was a discussion on this but I thought it was a kneejerk reaction.

Is this definitely the case? The crappy ol Safari is the only medium to communicate with the iPhone?

I would say thats most certainly FUD being spread by "fanbois". Not sure I would take any article that references "fanbois" with a grain of salt. :)

The only DRM I could think of on the iPhone would be for music bought through iTunes, but only if you bought the DRM tunes (they offer EMI stuff without - and you can always rip/play our own). Also I believe the Safari thing on Windows was truly only to get people in the Windows world used to Safari so when they get an iPhone browsing the web isn't as strange and foreign for them. It also helps having Safari on Windows for any developer wishing to make AJAX/Web 2.0 apps for the iPhone. :)

How accurate is this?

Hmmm, could this be the underlying reason for cross-platforming Safari to Windows, sozz people can connect their iPhones to Windows PCs also?

Now with all the questions about battery life and such it's a good pre-emtive strike by Apple to up the battery capacity before the iPhone hits the market. And that they changed the outer plastic to Optical quality glass (ya don't want another iPod fiasco) to help with scratching. My question as to the glass over plastic is, How many people will be breaking the glass and having to take them in for repair? Now I know that the iPhone is like some "artsy fartsy" item, so maybe people will be really careful with it (like their iPods?). But how long can you remember not to sit down with it in your pants pocket or some other dumb thing (and you hear that agonizing "crack" of glass)? Why not just get a good grade/quality plastic that is somewhat scratch resistant?

[edit]
I edited the poll to add, "Wait to see how it functions in the 'real world' and then decide". And that is my vote. I would really prefer to wait and see and not just go out and shell out money and change carriers without a good amount of info as to how it functions under real conditions and all that unimportant stuff. I'm just funny that way. :D

Last edited:
More info:

The USA Today article we had previously referenced also contains an interesting sidebar interviewing Balsu Thandu, one of the individuals who has been field testing the iPhone over the past two months.

Approximately 200 field technicians have been secretly testing the iPhone for 10 weeks, logging over 10,000 hours on the phone, including over 5,000 hours of voice calls and 5 gigabytes of data usage. This is reportedly twice as much testing as other phones.

Users worried about durability can rest easier that testing included dousing the iPhone in water, dropping it onto concrete and bouncing it off sidewalks. Real life usage testing was also a big focus:
"Many people don't realize it, but walking gives you the worst channel conditions," Thandu says. Cell signals tend to bounce off buildings, causing interference, and background noise is a constant problem in cities.

Apple reportedly made ongoing adjustments based on the feedback, including improving audio quality which was originally "not loud or clear enough".

According to the article, Thandu feels comfortable that the iPhone is ready for launch.

USA Today Article -- See the "Top-Secret Tests" column

Uh huh. You fanboys keep hoping for a good product.

Remember the winning Engadget commercial, "The Long Arm of Steve Jobs"? We posted it after the break, but finding someone who's spent some serious time with a pre-launch iPhone and getting them to talk is basically a lot like that. Still, we managed to smuggle out some freshly leaked details from a very trusted inside source who's been fooling around with a unit. Here's what they had to say:

• The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
  • The text auto-correction only works well for simple words, but doesn't work for proper names. We can only assume this bit will get better with time as Apple fills out its predictive text dictionary.
  • "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
  • The touchscreen was said to, in general, require somewhat hard presses to register input, and needs some getting used to.
  • In addition to its dock, the iPhone comes packaged with a polishing cloth (the thing's supposedly a fingerprint magnet, no surprise) and the usual smallish power adapter.
  • The Bluetooth headset will debut in the $120 range, and will come with its own dock for charging both the phone and the headset. The headset will feature a miniature magnetic charging interface á la MagSafe.

Click on for more impressions on the headset, browser, YouTube, and more.

• The Bluetooth headset has a hidden LED and is supposedly a very small and elegant device. Sound quality is said to be "typical". There is no clip; like many headsets you're expected to just let it hang out of your ear, as previously shown.
  • The browser "worked well" but page load speeds on EDGE were just as slow as expected. It sounds like 3G users will have a tough run with this.
  • Users must scroll through the address book (or use the alphabet-drag on the side) -- one cannot bring up the keyboard and type in a name, as many of us are used to.
  • Shocker: YouTube over EDGE didn't work well at all, and will basically necessitate use of WiFi.

Ok, that's all we've got for now. At this point we're just really looking forward to putting the spurs to this thing -- Apple is hyping this product like nothing we've ever seen before, and we're ready to bring every detail to light. In the mean time, here's that commercial again.

Source: Engadget

Wonder what will happen to that guy mentioned in the USA Today article that is most likely breaking his NDA, which Apple takes VERY seriously.

As for what madmatt, linked it's basically a block of stuff with little information and then repeated again at the bottom with nothing new. Kinda sad how much FUD people are trying to spread simply because it's Apple's. I haven't read anything yet that would deter me from getting one if I could afford it. I believe the same is probably true for anyone else that was thinking about the purchase of one also. :)

You're silly! Enjoy your multimedia phone. =]

Test how your website will look on an iPhone with iPhoney.

Mine looks like arsé but mainly because of its width

It's doomed from the start for tech elites, but it's cute and has just enough features for the masses to come clamoring over it.

They might as well have called it the iRazr.

Wonder what will happen to that guy mentioned in the USA Today article that is most likely breaking his NDA, which Apple takes VERY seriously.

As for what madmatt, linked it's basically a block of stuff with little information and then repeated again at the bottom with nothing new. Kinda sad how much FUD people are trying to spread simply because it's Apple's. I haven't read anything yet that would deter me from getting one if I could afford it. I believe the same is probably true for anyone else that was thinking about the purchase of one also. :)

If you hype up a product like they have, you will only expect there to be greater scrutiny.

PS3 anyone?

Don't know if this was posted before, but apparently some tried this gadget out. Details are here.

Sounds kinda disappointing, if true.

Dammit. I looked for it too. The link that is. :p

Just wait until customers see their wireless bill, with two different tiers of pricing one for voice, and then their internet(data) bill. I foresee...

a bunch of pissed off people.

Great, now we'll have to make sure our sites work with an iPhone? :eek:

well only if you think people might actually view your site with an iPhone. Personally I doubt I will bother, it's not like I get any PDA based hits as it is :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back