Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I hope so, but not sure yet

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Definitely

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Wait to see how it functions in the "real world", then decide

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
As for what madmatt, linked it's basically a block of stuff with little information and then repeated again at the bottom with nothing new. Kinda sad how much FUD people are trying to spread simply because it's Apple's. I haven't read anything yet that would deter me from getting one if I could afford it. I believe the same is probably true for anyone else that was thinking about the purchase of one also. :)
Bringing up genuine concerns about a product doesn't fall under the "FUD" category unless you're completely in denial and want to believe that everything Apple puts out is the epitome of perfection.

If you've ever used a phone that falls in roughly the same category as the iPhone, you would realize that the problems Engadget mentions in that list are completely expected. When I made a list of possible concerns in a blog post way back when the iPhone was first announced, most if not all of these items were on that list.

Take, for instance, the disappointment with the keyboard:
The keyboard was simply described as "disappointing". Keyboarding with two thumbs often registers multiple key presses (two or three at a time) resulting in a lot of mistakes. The best way to type is with a single finger (as shown in most of Apple's demos), but two thumbs is supposedly very difficult. After trying it for a number of days our source gave up using their thumbs.
It really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that an on-screen keyboard doesn't work as well as a physical keyboard would. The tactile feel of physical buttons simply can't be replicated in software. If you don't plan to use the keyboard extensively for email/IM/SMS, you might be able to live with the soft keys, but that doesn't make the lack of a physical keyboard a valid concern for people who do. They say - "It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product." - which is spot on. There is simply no way you can type as fast on a on-screen keyboard as you can with a physical keyboard, no matter how many flashy effects and animations are thrown in.

Regarding connectivity:
The browser "worked well" but page load speeds on EDGE were just as slow as expected. It sounds like 3G users will have a tough run with this. [...] Shocker: YouTube over EDGE didn't work well at all, and will basically necessitate use of WiFi.
Again, not at all unexpected for those of us that have been on both EDGE and 3G data networks for a long time.

Why bring this up? Because the demos on Apple's site give potential buyers the impression that the iPhone loads web pages almost instantaneously, and streams YouTube videos as smoothly as your broadband connection at home.

Current phones have a hard time even streaming high-quality audio over EDGE connections. These aren't limitations of the phones that Apple can somehow magically overcome. They are limitations of the data network itself. The reason this is brought up as an issue is because people are wondering why Apple chose not to make the iPhone 3G-ready, especially when a higher-bandwidth connection is essential for a large part of its functionality.

I'm surprised that you would think all of this "spreading FUD." I personally commend Engadget for posting this at a time when the rest of the media is simply extolling the virtues of an already over-hyped device and sweeping any potential issues under the rug. Pointing out the pitfalls helps people make more informed purchasing decisions, and constructive criticism will also help Apple build a better second-gen product.

Closing your eyes and pretending like this is the perfect phone isn't going to help anyone, including yourself.

I'm hoping that Apple will release a iPhone mini in a year or so and hopefully they won't be in a contract with AT&T with that :p

The idea is good, but it is basically a PDA that functions as a phone. No more, no less. It is only innovative in so far as Apple is touting it as such.

There are plenty of other products on the market that provide EXCELLENT solutions for all facets of usage.

A snazzy ad campaign does not a great product make. Look @ safari for example. No matter how great and fast it is proclaimed to be, the product is a dud.
I use cellphones primarily for calling. My concern is by using all the functions, the battery will drain quickly, especially listening to mp3 all the time. What if I'm stuck with an emergency and the battery's all drained? I'll be doomed as well.

@Net - The Engadget part copy/pasted here wasn't necessarily FUD, but there has been a bunch linked in this thread.

The only real issues that are covered in the part copy/pasted here has to deal with is typing(keyboard) and the network speed. Knowing that the iPhone doesn't support 3G going in everyone should know that your not going to get super fast network speeds, but it still works, and this non-instant loading was shown in Apple's video that was released the other day. The keyboard thing was also shown a bit, but then again it would only make sense that a touch keyboard would take some getting use to. It's only if people can't get use to it that it would be "bad" IMO, which based on the small sample size has yet to be seen.

I'm not "blind" because it's an Apple product, I just don't think it's getting any real serious looks because it's an Apple product. Just like the iPod and OS X, people are quick to tear it apart because it's Apple. IMHO it will only fail if it doesn't work for the people who it is designed for, those that want a flashy phone that just works (not blackberry toting business men). This is the crowd between your typical phone and the "smartphones".:)

</rant>

I use cellphones primarily for calling. My concern is by using all the functions, the battery will drain quickly, especially listening to mp3 all the time. What if I'm stuck with an emergency and the battery's all drained? I'll be doomed as well.

This is the same dilemma that you have with any phone these days. They all have added features that add to battery drain, the iPhone is no different. I would say that you shouldn't be doing hours of battery draining stuff if your not close to an outlet. :rolleyes:

This is the same dilemma that you have with any phone these days. They all have added features that add to battery drain, the iPhone is no different. I would say that you shouldn't be doing hours of battery draining stuff if your not close to an outlet. :rolleyes:

or have the optional 25 lb battery I-backpack, with built in Ipod docks and noise canceling earphones.:laugh:

I think it should be called "icall"

that has a very nice *ring* to it

tee hee

drop an 'l' from that and its a calendar application ;)

I'm waiting for the iPod with the widescreen display and wifi, I don't want my communication device crapping out when I need it because I've been listening to music all day.

I can partially understand the lack of 3G in the iPhone. Firstly it opens it up to more markets and more people, 3G hasn't taken off everywhere beause of some of the ways in which its been marketed. I think 3G hardware is more expensive to produce, so you could argue that Apple are testing the waters with the 1st gen iPhone. I didn't like the iPods until they hit the fourth generation. Maybe 3G will be something included in the second generation of iPhones.

I've also read recently someone arguing the case of why iPhone Web apps are a good thing, it basically boiled down to the fact that by using standard HTML/CSS/JS just about anyone can crank out an application for the iPhone without the need to download and learn complicated SDKs. Personally I think web apps would be better with 3G, especially if images arent cached like on PocketIE (spent 20 minutes trying to get a train time because the sites header graphic was 80k and had to be fetched each time). Also Apples provided SDKs for OS X are very well thought out and well documented so I think they would have succeeded here. Alternative they may be wanting to enable developers to make true applications for the iPhone but currently have it as an SDK for Xcode which they might want to port to Windows first. Personally I'd recommend them talking to MS to see if they could just port the required SDKs to something Visual Studio can futz with, but if they release Xcode for free for Windows (as they do for Mac) then I'd be happy with that too.

I'm waiting for the iPod with the widescreen display and wifi, I don't want my communication device crapping out when I need it because I've been listening to music all day.
Yeah, and especially problematic given that you can't carry a second battery around. :)

Classic case of a form-over-functionality decision, where they picked the "clean design" choice over the more pragmatic approach of allowing the user to replace the battery. Not so bad for an iPod, but certainly not very desirable when it's also your only phone.

I can partially understand the lack of 3G in the iPhone. Firstly it opens it up to more markets and more people, 3G hasn't taken off everywhere beause of some of the ways in which its been marketed. I think 3G hardware is more expensive to produce, so you could argue that Apple are testing the waters with the 1st gen iPhone.
The difference between HSDPA and EDGE performance is very noticeable when browsing the web and watching streaming video, which are two of the core features of the iPhone. They could always have it drop back to EDGE speeds if a 3G data network isn't available. That's what current 3G-ready phones do to ensure that they work anywhere, and the switch is completely transparent to the user, so it wouldn't be confusing either.

Also, if their intention was to open it to more markets and more people, they wouldn't have signed a 5-yr "exclusivity" agreement with AT&T in the first place. :)

Cost could have been a prohibiting factor. Battery life sounds like a more plausible reason, considering they were struggling with that until recently. 3G radios do have a noticeable hit on battery life compared to GPRS/EDGE.

I've also read recently someone arguing the case of why iPhone Web apps are a good thing, it basically boiled down to the fact that by using standard HTML/CSS/JS just about anyone can crank out an application for the iPhone without the need to download and learn complicated SDKs.
It's a fair point, but the problem is that not having a "true" SDK severely limits the possibilities.

For instance, without access to the hardware through an API, there really isn't any way to write applications that can take advantage of voice input. There's no way to write apps that can communicate with external Bluetooth devices, like GPS units. No way to build VoIP apps that can save you a ton of money on international calls. Just a few of many, many examples of useful apps that are out there for WiMo, Symbian and Blackberry devices.

If this were a cheap $50 phone, I wouldn't expect it to do any of these things, but when I'm thinking of spending ~$600 on one, it's hard to ignore this serious lack of versatility. It's disappointing.

Alternative they may be wanting to enable developers to make true applications for the iPhone but currently have it as an SDK for Xcode which they might want to port to Windows first. Personally I'd recommend them talking to MS to see if they could just port the required SDKs to something Visual Studio can futz with, but if they release Xcode for free for Windows (as they do for Mac) then I'd be happy with that too.
I would love to see something like that, coupled with a device emulator like the one Microsoft provides for WiMo development. A complete API with some sweet UI libraries. Would be a joy to develop for something with such a slick interface. I'd definitely download and play with it. :)

The difference between HSDPA and EDGE performance is very noticeable when browsing the web and watching streaming video, which are two of the core features of the iPhone. They could always have it drop back to EDGE speeds if a 3G data network isn't available. That's what current 3G-ready phones do to ensure that they work anywhere, and the switch is completely transparent to the user, so it wouldn't be confusing either.

This man types the truth. I had my first experience with HSDPA ("3G") this weekend. I was in PA and looked at my device for the time and saw the 3G icon take the place of the EDGE ("E") icon. I had to try it out (of course) and it was blazing fast compared to E. When I left that city to return home the E came back and I was back to normal.

3G hardware is more expensive but it makes the device worthy. I only wish my area had 3G.

New information about iPhone activation and syncing. Now we know why the iTunes account is required.

Apple and AT&T Inc. today announced that iPhone users will be able to activate their new iPhones using Apple's popular iTunes software running on a PC or Mac computer in the comfort and privacy of their own home or office, without having to wait in a store while their phone is activated. Activating iPhone takes only minutes as iTunes guides the user through simple steps to choose their service plan, authorize their credit and activate their iPhone. Once iPhone is activated, users can then easily sync all of their phone numbers and other contact information, calendars, email accounts, web browser bookmarks, music, photos, podcasts, TV shows and movies just like they do when they sync their iPods with iTunes.

Also, here are the plans and pricing.

rateplans.jpg

Nice. :) Online activation should be pretty convenient, even if it means having to install iTunes. *shudder*

Also found this interesting bit of news from MJF:
Apple’s iPhone is going to be compatible with Microsoft Exchange Server, after all.

Earlier this month, a number of articles and analyst reports claimed that Apple’s iPhone would not be compatible with Exchange Server, Research in Motion’s Blackberry servers and Motorola’s Good Technology e-mail servers.
While I can’t speak to Apple’s plans regarding Blackberry and Good, my sources are saying Apple can and will make the iPhone compatible with Exchange Server.

Here’s what I’m hearing: Apple will announce this week — possibly as soon as June 27 — that it has licensed the Exchange ActiveSync licensing protocol. Via the licensing arrangement, Apple iPhone users will be able to connect to Exchange Server and make use of its wireless messaging and synchronization capabilities.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=534

The first iPhone reviews are coming out...

Wall Street Journal
The New York Times
Newsweek

Here's a compilation of quotes from these three:

- "so sleek and thin, it makes Treos and BlackBerrys look obese."
- After walking around with the iPhone unprotected for 2 weeks, no marks on it. Glass smudges are easily wiped off.
- Making calls can be a 6 step process if phone is off.
- Web, Email is superior
- Battery Life Test: 5 hours video, 23 hours audio. Note: did not turn off Wi-Fi and other features as Apple suggests.
- Typing was OK. Difficult at first, but learned to "trust" the keyboard. "The BlackBerry won’t be going away anytime soon."
- Cites AT&T network as iPhone's biggest downfall. Cites Consumer Reports survey which ranks AT&T network as last or second to last in 19 out of 20 major US cities.
- AT&T’s EDGE cellular network: "excruciatingly slow"
- bottom line is that the iPhone is a significant leap
- The iPhone is the rare convergence device where things actually converge.
- e-mail looks more like you’re working on a computer than a clunky phone
- YouTube videos work great on Wi-Fi, but can display in a lower quality when you’re not at a hotspot and are using AT&T’s EDGE network
- unless I did a lot of video watching or Web browsing, [the battery] could generally last the day
- I’ve been jamming it in my pocket with keyrings, coins and pens, and so far it’s nearly as good as new.
- largest, highest resolution screen of any smart phone they've seen, most internal memory
- Impressive battery life and thin
- Feels solid
- Regarding the touch keyboard: "After five days of use, Walt -- who did most of the testing for this review -- was able to type on it as quickly and accurately as he could on the Palm Treo he has used for years."
- Can't use T-Mobile SIM cards
- Wi-Fi capability doesn't fully make up for the lack of a fast cellular data capability
- Multitouch: "effective, practical and fun"
- No way to copy/paste text
- Microsoft's Exchange system support
- Voice call quality was good, but not great
- Can't record video
- No Adobe Flash support
- Songs can't be set as ringtones

lol. I'm going to buy a XPS M1330 instead. =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back