Derek's Upgrade Thread

Damn dude, that sucks. I sure hope that this doesn't happen to me. It is taking me a couple months for me to save up the money to be able to buy this stuff so If it does happen, I am SOL.

The procs and the mobo's are supposed to have a thermal cut-off. How the heck did that not work?

I can understand one failing but both things?

All my settings are designed for shutdown (hopefully) if the cpu temp exceeds 50c.

The diode didn't trip I guess. Hope you have no problems getting your replacements.

Geez man that sucks. Reminds me of what happened to my pc.

EDIT: I had to replace the Power supply and motherboard. Not sure what caused it but I got a UPS just in case it was a surge.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    561.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I'm kinda peeved about the whole mess really.

Because I really don't want to deal with this sh*t, I'm replacing most of the CPU.

I'm getting the following, new:

Antec P180 Case
AMD 3800+ (budget reasons)
ASUS A8N5X Motherboard
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB)
COOLMAX CU-600T ATX 600W

Rest is staying, but I am replacing the core components just to be safe. Not really sure what other damage has occured.

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that Derek. You should take pictures for proof in case Newegg or the manufacturers give you a rough time.

I hope I don't have the same issue when I take my HSF off.

Newegg won't do crap, because they only have a 7 day return policy on stuff CPU's. This happened about 14 days after I purchased it. I'm going to contact DFI later today, and see what is required. I'm not going to throw the stuff out, but since I don't have a digi cam atm I'll put off taking pictures for now.

About to order the new stuff, actually looking forward to the P180 - really amazing case :) I'm a little worried about the assembly and cable wiring, but since I have a modular PSU it won't be as bad as if I didnt...

Contact AMD as well. They should have a 30 day warranty or so on OEM and 1-3 years on retail. I have only ever bought retail so I know my product is covered.

You deserve a warrantied refund on that. Hardware failure sucks, but nothing is worse than when its brand new hardware! Really terrible luck, at least you have enough money to get something back up and running. :)

Yeah, I do, but not by much.

I didn't have a chance to call DFI today, but I hope to call both them and AMD by end of week. Even more of a concern is I placed the order with Newegg at 10AM EST this morning, and it's still in phase 1! I paid for rush processing and overnight shipping, I really need it here tomorrow!!!

I am currently on hold with their online chat - 15 people in the queue ahead of me :s

I won't within a timeframe for tomorrow, that's for sure.

I overnighted the new parts that I paid out of pocket for. If (when) I get warranty exchange, I'll decide what to do then.

show us some pictures of this fried up CPU. And i am shocked the Overheat protection failed for the CPU and MB. That sucks.

I don't have a digital camera, but next time I go see my parents I may borrow their camera. If that happens, pictures will be posted. If not, oh well :p

This really frustrates me. I know how bad it can be having to deal with an impromptu hardware failure, but on top of that you are paying money out of pocket to just get back in the game and they aren't even living up to the rush processing / delivery.. If you do manage to get refunded completely, or free parts of the same specification, its going to be a huge headache and a lot of effort. Such a shame... :(

Huge headache huh? You're telling me!

I spoke with someone from newegg earlier, who said their online system has been down all day. I verified the card was charged, which is more than their website shows. I Just hope it ships today and it is at my door tomorrow, and maybe by the end of the week their website will show the right status :eek:

I swear to god I'm getting aggrivated. Newegg always updates their crap with shipping numbers at 9EST each night when things go out. Their website STILL shows my order is in phase 1, which would indicate my order hasn't been charged yet :(

I better get my boxes tomorrow, that's all I'm going to say....................................................

:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back