Derek's Upgrade Thread

Don't buy a SATA CD drive unless you really have a need for less cabling. Everyone I have head of that has them has issues. And unless you want to force all drives attached to that controller to a IDE compatability mode, or add the drivers to your windows installation for the interface you are stuck. This also limits using certain types of bootable CD's and in some cases the drive being available at all in safe mode. Some have had issues with restore mode of Windows unless you keep your original slipstreamed disk handy.

Don't fear the SATA DVD Drive. The 203 is an amazing drive. It's probably the best of the latest generation of drives. The only way I could possibly see a problem is if you had a early generation SATA motherboard or controller card. I've put the 203 in 3 different machines with ZERO problems. Rest easy choosing this drive.

If you do want an IDE drive... Check out a Pioneer 112.

I think I'm going to wait on this for a few months. I read lots of good things about Penryn, and I want to wait and see how the benchmarks come out for some of the more economical desktop CPU's (supposed to be near a 15% increase). I also want to wait for the X48 chipset, which should be the cat's meow and only give the x38 about 2-3 months of usable life :eek:

I also think DDR3 performance and pricing will come down soon too, but that may be too optimistic :eek:

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back