Derek's Upgrade Thread

Grandmaster said:
celticfan11, there's no need to get so agitated.

im not agitated lol. Im just messin with good ol derek. Just like good ol college days,

How is the noise level?

celticfan11 said:
im not agitated lol. Im just messin with good ol derek. Just like good ol college days,

My bad. I feel sorry that you know him in person :p

Brad said:
How is the noise level?
VERY quiet, will be even quieter when those new fans come in. I had to use a 120mm that I had laying around, which is very noisy.

Good everything setup in the new case, and this project is finally finished.

*takes deep breath*

In the FAR off future, I may be replacing my current 19" LCD.

I'm thinking towards the end of the year, I might get dual 20" or something, not sure. I want the 24" pretty bad, but if I can get dual 20's for about the same price, that may be better.

It's far off, just a thought, we'll see what happens. Thanks to all for their help/advice in this process :)

Good, glad to hear it man. Now to finish mine up. All I have left to buy is the processor and video card.

Brad, the most expensive items. =)

Derek, you bought a different case?

Well, it is important to me that I got this much out of the way. Will give me much more drive to save up for these last two parts.

Personally, I have a problem with things matching. Such as my socks. I have problems.

celticfan11 said:
just curious... why did you go with 2 dvd burners?
I wanted the ability to burn two DVD's at once, which I did today finally.

Very cool to be able to do :cool:

I also wasn't going to, but saved a total of $100 off both with rebates, which made it a little more tempting.

These puppies FLY, and I also dig the slot loading aspect, have always been a fan of that.

Well, as they say - "if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Friday before going to work, I set some stuff up to run, a few batch jobs, downloads etc. I left a little early, so by the time I came home the PC was "un-attended" for roughly 15-16 hours. I came home to check on the results of the jobs and downloads - and found my PC had frozen. No biggie - these things happen, so I power cycled the biatch.

Took about 15 seconds longer for the PC to get to the DFI Lan Party splash screen (that's my motherboard), and then it hung there for roughly a minute. That screen finally passed, and then I got a message stating the frequency on my processor had changed, and the system was now in safe mode. It is recommended to enter the BIOS to reset it - blah blah blah....

I go into the bios, not there for more than 3 seconds, PC locks up.

Little annoyed by this point, as it's roughly 4:30 and I was hurtin for some sleep. But I cycled it again, this time I got into the BIOS, had about 10 seconds - froze. This time, before cycling it, I looked into the case as I had the side panel off for something I was working on earlier that day. The HSF was not spinning - at all. I knew that didn't look right, so that woke me up a little bit out of shock.

Cycled the PC again, noticed everything else powered up, cept for the HSF. ****, I thought to myself.

I unplugged everything, put the case on it's side, removed the HSF, and found that my previously beautiful AMD processor had been burned like an Albino spending a day on the beach in 100 degree weather.

Furthermore, the thermal damage was so extensive, some areas of the mobo looked to be a little brown, but that could have been the lighting.

This blows - I don't have a PC for a few days, I'm going to order some parts from Newegg tomorrow and overnight them - hope to have a new rig up and running on Tuesday. This happened Friday, so I didn' thave a chance to order anything. Because I don't want to risk anything, I'm replacing the CPU (obviosuly) and the motherboard. May replace the PSU as well, but I want to do some testing on the leads first.....

Mother ****** :(

kcnychief said:
Well, as they say - "if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Friday before going to work, I set some stuff up to run, a few batch jobs, downloads etc. I left a little early, so by the time I came home the PC was "un-attended" for roughly 15-16 hours. I came home to check on the results of the jobs and downloads - and found my PC had frozen. No biggie - these things happen, so I power cycled the biatch.

Took about 15 seconds longer for the PC to get to the DFI Lan Party splash screen (that's my motherboard), and then it hung there for roughly a minute. That screen finally passed, and then I got a message stating the frequency on my processor had changed, and the system was now in safe mode. It is recommended to enter the BIOS to reset it - blah blah blah....

I go into the bios, not there for more than 3 seconds, PC locks up.

Little annoyed by this point, as it's roughly 4:30 and I was hurtin for some sleep. But I cycled it again, this time I got into the BIOS, had about 10 seconds - froze. This time, before cycling it, I looked into the case as I had the side panel off for something I was working on earlier that day. The HSF was not spinning - at all. I knew that didn't look right, so that woke me up a little bit out of shock.

Cycled the PC again, noticed everything else powered up, cept for the HSF. ****, I thought to myself.

I unplugged everything, put the case on it's side, removed the HSF, and found that my previously beautiful AMD processor had been burned like an Albino spending a day on the beach in 100 degree weather.

Furthermore, the thermal damage was so extensive, some areas of the mobo looked to be a little brown, but that could have been the lighting.

This blows - I don't have a PC for a few days, I'm going to order some parts from Newegg tomorrow and overnight them - hope to have a new rig up and running on Tuesday. This happened Friday, so I didn' thave a chance to order anything. Because I don't want to risk anything, I'm replacing the CPU (obviosuly) and the motherboard. May replace the PSU as well, but I want to do some testing on the leads first.....

Mother ****** :(

Oh fuuuuuuuck! Damn. That's horrible man. :/

I'm not happy at all about it - I don't exactly have a ton of extra cash laying around :(

But, I've been spending an excessive amount of time yesterday/today researching components, this will not happen again.

Apparently my motherboard is supposed to have a feature to automatically power off if the CPU temp exceeds a certain threshhold - this obviously did not happen, so I will be contacting DFI on Monday as well.

I think I am going to carve up some furniture (for space) and get the Antec P180. That is the case I wanted originally, and it is amazing for air flow. I'm going to spend a little extra moolah, but I really can't have this happen again...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back