Derek's Upgrade Thread

madmatt said:
Threads merged.

Derek, I merged these two threads since they have something in common.
Tis cool, scared me for a second as I thought it got deleted :s

EDIT: I may also get the above-mentioned fan for the rear of my case. I will have to look at it when I get home, but I think I should have enough room to mount this bad boy. I will however need something else for the front.

Last edited:
http://www.overcool.com/exec/product.asp?userid=14414178825958&item_id=31711

$15
Fan dimension: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Fan speed: 1400 R.P.M.
Noise level: 18.0 dB(A)
Fan airflow: 44.8 CFM
Fan life expectancy: 80000/hrs
Bearing type: Twin Ball Bearing
Connector: 3-pin with RPM sensor wire
Voltage rating: 12

They also have voltage dropping cables to slow/quiet fans for $4.
Fan dust filters, etc.

Nice site for cooling needs.

PS Thread merge freaked me out too. It happened while I was posting. Thought I was halucinating again.

**slightly off topic, 120mm fans are soppose to be quieter right**

LeeJend said:
http://www.overcool.com/exec/product.asp?userid=14414178825958&item_id=31711

$15
Fan dimension: 120 x 120 x 25mm
Fan speed: 1400 R.P.M.
Noise level: 18.0 dB(A)
Fan airflow: 44.8 CFM
Fan life expectancy: 80000/hrs
Bearing type: Twin Ball Bearing
Connector: 3-pin with RPM sensor wire
Voltage rating: 12

They also have voltage dropping cables to slow/quiet fans for $4.
Fan dust filters, etc.

Nice site for cooling needs.

PS Thread merge freaked me out too. It happened while I was posting. Thought I was halucinating again.
Dude, SICK. That fan is the winn3r! Reps to you, thanks for the find :D

EDIT: Wow, just WOW. I signed up with this site, saved 10% as a new customer, got 4.86% cashback since I used my PayPal card, and it will ship Monday at 10AM EST via USPS Priority Mail for only $3.05

Simply amazing, very happy right now :)

Last edited:
Thanks KC. Sometimes google lands on just the right spot.

Bman™ said:
**slightly off topic, 120mm fans are soppose to be quieter right**

Generally speaking yes. They can more more air at lower RPM. The lower the RPM the better.

BUT, I saw some noisy ass'd 120mm fans while searching just now and some quiet 80mm fans. Quiet enough I'm thinking of swapping my 80's for some new ones.

Alot of the 120mm's were either CRAZY loud, or came with variable controls which I don't want.

Erica will also be using this computer, so I want it quiet :smoker:

kcnychief said:
He was referring to a time when I ordered ECC ram for a mobo that didn't support it. 'twas rather interesting :p

Sometimes you need to read the fine print a little more carefully, when it says ECC in HUGE BOLDED letters, it's easy to miss ;)

As long as the pin layout is the same, aka a 184 pin DIMM (well it was in SDR, would have to check the pins in DDR)...

My older mobos supported ECC, as did my CPUs and my RAM was ECC also. Somewhere along the way the chipset didn't support ECC (on latter systems), but I moved memory over without a problem. In the case of parity, there's a 9th chip (8 bits + 1 bit for parity checking)... If one can't use it, it just won't. Memory that needs to be buffered however, can be another story, and I don't think registered DIMMs have the same number of pins as non-registered anyhow?

At least in my experience, one could plug it in (and I have). One just isn't running with ECC...

Son Goku said:
As long as the pin layout is the same, aka a 184 pin DIMM (well it was in SDR, would have to check the pins in DDR)...

My older mobos supported ECC, as did my CPUs and my RAM was ECC also. Somewhere along the way the chipset didn't support ECC (on latter systems), but I moved memory over without a problem. In the case of parity, there's a 9th chip (8 bits + 1 bit for parity checking)... If one can't use it, it just won't. Memory that needs to be buffered however, can be another story, and I don't think registered DIMMs have the same number of pins as non-registered anyhow?

At least in my experience, one could plug it in (and I have). One just isn't running with ECC...
In my case, it didn't work.

I can't recall the mobo and ram type specifically, but it was just beeping along happily and not booting :(

Tis odd then, unless there were other factors at play... Anyhow, these people's answer was my experience:

http://www.memorypro.com/how-to-memory-upgrade.php

Most motherboards that do not have an ECC function within the BIOS are still able to use a module with ECC, but the module will run in non-ECC mode.

Keep in mind, there are some cases where the motherboard will not accept an ECC module, depending on the BIOS programming. The only sure-fire way to test this is to place the module in the motherboard and see if the BIOS will recognize the memory addition.

It's possible that your BIOS on that board might have been the exception they allude to, or that there was something else going on. Either way, it's water under the bridge, and probably little more could be added to it...

As you said, water under the bridge. That was 6-8 months ago, can't recall much else 'cept I was really peeved off that I made the mistake. Ran to CompUSA and blew way more than I should have on RAM because I needed the machine up and running.

This has to be the most amazing compilation of hardware I have EVER set my hands or eyes on. Each and every piece that I had purchased surprised me in a pleasant way....

CPU: Obviously not much surprise here, except the heatsink bundled with the processor is different from what I remember. The last AMD I had, which was a 3500+, had a lower-end heatsink. The 4400+ comes with a real heavy duty stock unit, and I was very impressed. I have to say, AMD heatsinks are also MUCH easier to apply than Intel units, especially over the LGA775, ick! (I'm not saying I can't, or that they are hard, I just think the springs are more of a pain with Intel vs. AMD). I have a nice AMD Athalon 64 X2 sticker to pimp on my rig, which I may copy and get a tatoo of it :smoker:

RAM: The RAM was a nice surprise for me since it actually worked. Each review I read on the particular RAM that I picked out, said most BIOS's won't detect the timings correctly. One of the first things I looked at when I jumped into the BIOS was my memory timings. I was prepared to do some tinkering, but I didn't have to as everything was peachy from the start :)

Video Card: Wow, this thing is sweet. I have never used or seen up close a video card that requires it's own power supply. That just goes to show the fps-pumping quality I can potentially get out of this card. Most people know, and those who don't, do now, that I don't really game. After installing the video card, I now wonder just how much juice I can get out of this thing, and will definitely start seeing how much I can tax it. This card is H-U-G-E. It is a very snug fit over the chipset fan on the motherboard itself, but all and all no complaints. I didn't end up using the bundled power adapter, but I'll get to more of that in a moment :) This also comes with a sticker to put on my case!

Sound Card: This I haven't really gotten to yet. I did put the system together about 95% (still need 2 fans and to put the last HD in). The sound card is installed, but I have yet to install the drivers. Cool thing about this so far, is I got a neat sticker to put on the front of my case :)

Hard Drives: Only the 250GB is in, because of my cat I had things VERY scattered, and put the hard drive in a place I couldn't find it before I closed the case up :p (insert dumb joke here) I expected the drive to be fast, and so far it screams. The big idea behind this purchase was for the 16MB cache, which I won't really benefit from until I install the second hard drive. I hope that to be tomorrow, but I might not be able to touch the new baby at all tomorrow :(

Dual Burners: Not only are these black, which I dig, but they are slot-loaded. I never really was a fan of these drives before I had the plextors, but I REALLY like these. The eject mechanism is sharp, crisp and puts the disc out to a comfortable range so you can grab it with a nice grip. The installs are BLAZING fast from CD-ROM, which is where I really notice the 100ms access time :D

Motherboard: Wow. Let me catch my breath for a minute. OK, still Wow! I found this motherboard really amazing. What was my favorite feature, I bet you'll never guess. I thought it was really cool that the onboard audio, actually comes as a seperate component. Even better, it's not installed by default. This has always been something that has bothered me, if you can get boards without onboard video, why not without onboard audio? Granted, you can always install one and disalbe in the BIOS, but that was a VERY welcomed feature that I did not realize when I was "shopping".

The motherboard came with great documentation, and hooking up the case wires as well as my other equipment was a breeze. I am VERY happy with that choice :)

PSU: My first impression of this piece was - HEAVY. This is a very heavy PSU, which if nothing else, indicates quality. The reason why I picked it is because I really wanted to have a tight grip around cable management within this system. The modular supply was a nice touch, and the extra cables have their own velcro-strap case to keep them in - very cool.

It's funny when you see how much cabling you don't even use, which is a testament for how much you would just have to bundle or tie somewhere else. My only grip with this is they should offer cables of variable length, for optical devices for example, which are usually very close. Other than that, very nice piece of hardware as well.

Case: Most people save the best for last, and this is no exception. I was up in the air, and the case was my last decision that I made. I saw Sazar's Review, as well as a nice review over at TweakNews (I promised I would say hello to Mr. Bones), and I was sold. I saw a lot of features I tentatively would have liked, and man was I NOT disappointed. Back to weight impressions, I have to say I was surprised with how light this case was. That usually means it's really low-end material, but this was not the case here. After reading the guides and getting the 411 on how to take it apart, I was ready to go. I took the Windows side-panel off first, and then the front bezel and the left side. This case came apart very easily, and I thought the removeable trays for the motherboard, FDD, and fan for the front of the case were very great ideas. This case truly is 100% tool-less, and that is awesome to be able to pull off and still maintain high quality.

I am very impressed, and plan to post some benchmarks as soon as I get a chance.

Price was a bit high for the rig, but seems to be worth every penny, if not in shock and awe value alone :D

kcnychief said:
This has to be the most amazing compilation of hardware I have EVER set my hands or eyes on. Each and every piece that I had purchased surprised me in a pleasant way....

CPU: Obviously not much surprise here, except the heatsink bundled with the processor is different from what I remember. The last AMD I had, which was a 3500+, had a lower-end heatsink. The 4400+ comes with a real heavy duty stock unit, and I was very impressed. I have to say, AMD heatsinks are also MUCH easier to apply than Intel units, especially over the LGA775, ick! (I'm not saying I can't, or that they are hard, I just think the springs are more of a pain with Intel vs. AMD). I have a nice AMD Athalon 64 X2 sticker to pimp on my rig, which I may copy and get a tatoo of it :smoker:

RAM: The RAM was a nice surprise for me since it actually worked. Each review I read on the particular RAM that I picked out, said most BIOS's won't detect the timings correctly. One of the first things I looked at when I jumped into the BIOS was my memory timings. I was prepared to do some tinkering, but I didn't have to as everything was peachy from the start :)

Video Card: Wow, this thing is sweet. I have never used or seen up close a video card that requires it's own power supply. That just goes to show the fps-pumping quality I can potentially get out of this card. Most people know, and those who don't, do now, that I don't really game. After installing the video card, I now wonder just how much juice I can get out of this thing, and will definitely start seeing how much I can tax it. This card is H-U-G-E. It is a very snug fit over the chipset fan on the motherboard itself, but all and all no complaints. I didn't end up using the bundled power adapter, but I'll get to more of that in a moment :) This also comes with a sticker to put on my case!

Sound Card: This I haven't really gotten to yet. I did put the system together about 95% (still need 2 fans and to put the last HD in). The sound card is installed, but I have yet to install the drivers. Cool thing about this so far, is I got a neat sticker to put on the front of my case :)

Hard Drives: Only the 250GB is in, because of my cat I had things VERY scattered, and put the hard drive in a place I couldn't find it before I closed the case up :p (insert dumb joke here) I expected the drive to be fast, and so far it screams. The big idea behind this purchase was for the 16MB cache, which I won't really benefit from until I install the second hard drive. I hope that to be tomorrow, but I might not be able to touch the new baby at all tomorrow :(

Dual Burners: Not only are these black, which I dig, but they are slot-loaded. I never really was a fan of these drives before I had the plextors, but I REALLY like these. The eject mechanism is sharp, crisp and puts the disc out to a comfortable range so you can grab it with a nice grip. The installs are BLAZING fast from CD-ROM, which is where I really notice the 100ms access time :D

Motherboard: Wow. Let me catch my breath for a minute. OK, still Wow! I found this motherboard really amazing. What was my favorite feature, I bet you'll never guess. I thought it was really cool that the onboard audio, actually comes as a seperate component. Even better, it's not installed by default. This has always been something that has bothered me, if you can get boards without onboard video, why not without onboard audio? Granted, you can always install one and disalbe in the BIOS, but that was a VERY welcomed feature that I did not realize when I was "shopping".

The motherboard came with great documentation, and hooking up the case wires as well as my other equipment was a breeze. I am VERY happy with that choice :)

PSU: My first impression of this piece was - HEAVY. This is a very heavy PSU, which if nothing else, indicates quality. The reason why I picked it is because I really wanted to have a tight grip around cable management within this system. The modular supply was a nice touch, and the extra cables have their own velcro-strap case to keep them in - very cool.

It's funny when you see how much cabling you don't even use, which is a testament for how much you would just have to bundle or tie somewhere else. My only grip with this is they should offer cables of variable length, for optical devices for example, which are usually very close. Other than that, very nice piece of hardware as well.

Case: Most people save the best for last, and this is no exception. I was up in the air, and the case was my last decision that I made. I saw Sazar's Review, as well as a nice review over at TweakNews (I promised I would say hello to Mr. Bones), and I was sold. I saw a lot of features I tentatively would have liked, and man was I NOT disappointed. Back to weight impressions, I have to say I was surprised with how light this case was. That usually means it's really low-end material, but this was not the case here. After reading the guides and getting the 411 on how to take it apart, I was ready to go. I took the Windows side-panel off first, and then the front bezel and the left side. This case came apart very easily, and I thought the removeable trays for the motherboard, FDD, and fan for the front of the case were very great ideas. This case truly is 100% tool-less, and that is awesome to be able to pull off and still maintain high quality.

I am very impressed, and plan to post some benchmarks as soon as I get a chance.

Price was a bit high for the rig, but seems to be worth every penny, if not in shock and awe value alone :D

are you planning on publishing this book?

kcnychief said:
if not in shock and awe value alone :D

you have been listening to president bush's speeches to much.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed it. makes me really want to upgrade

Brad said:
I really enjoyed it. makes me really want to upgrade
I'm glad, I was/am really excited after putting everything together. This was the most fun I ever had assembling a machine :)

celticfan11, there's no need to get so agitated.

hehe, after getting all the parts, I thought the steps would be:

- Install the thing
- Play the sh** outa it, and see what it's capable of doing. Perhaps frag a few peeps, and see how much it boosts you're e-pen0s :D
- Benchmark it, and tell us what great new scores you're getting on it :D

Then again, maybe there was such a thread, and I hadn't seen it yet :eek:

Wow, a nice summary!

From how it reads, it seems like you're quite happy with it...good for you! :)

Nick M said:
Wow, a nice summary!

From how it reads, it seems like you're quite happy with it...good for you! :)

Very Very happy. I am really glad I went with the 4400+, I really have no regrets.

Son Goku said:
hehe, after getting all the parts, I thought the steps would be:

- Install the thing
- Play the sh** outa it, and see what it's capable of doing. Perhaps frag a few peeps, and see how much it boosts you're e-pen0s :D
- Benchmark it, and tell us what great new scores you're getting on it :D

Then again, maybe there was such a thread, and I hadn't seen it yet :eek:

Trust me, that's all in the plans. I want to benchmark it soon too :D

I just haven't been home much the last few days, so I haven't really had much of a chance to use it :suprised:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back